Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

‘Poor visibility’ hampered Channel rescue effort in 2021 migrant accident

The accident, in which 27 people including a 7-year-old girl died, is the worst on record involving migrants in the Channel

‘Poor visibility’ hampered Channel rescue effort in 2021 migrant accident

UNSUCCESSFUL attempts to rescue migrants from a sinking boat in the Channel in November 2021 were hampered by poor visibility and confusion over locating the right vessel, Britain's Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) said on Thursday (9).

The accident, in which 27 people including a 7-year-old girl died, is the worst on record involving migrants in the narrow seaway separating France and Britain. Two survivors were recovered from French waters and four people remain missing.

In the wake of the accident, the two countries traded blame, with a French migrant charity saying the boats' occupants had called both French and British authorities but were only sent help when a French fisherman raised an alert 10 hours later.

The MAIB said the "wholly unsuitable and ill-equipped" inflatable boat began taking on water in the early hours of November 24 and some of the migrants made distress calls on their mobile phones to both French and British authorities.

The MAIB, which focussed its investigation on the UK response because it was not granted access to information held by the French, said a British search and rescue boat and helicopter failed to locate the dinghy.

"The UK search and rescue response ... was hampered due to poor visibility and by the lack of a dedicated aircraft conducting aerial surveillance," it said in a report published on Thursday.

"Coastguard operators were heavily reliant on the limited information passed to them by French authorities and calls from the occupants of the boats themselves to try to identify the number of boats attempting the crossing, their location and their level of distress."

Three other migrant boats were found in UK waters while searching for the sinking boat, MAIB said, all with similar numbers of people on board to those reported to be on the stricken craft, which proved a distraction.

In the afternoon of November 24, a French-registered fishing vessel reported sighting bodies in the water, which triggered a French search and rescue operation with UK support, it said.

In May, French judges charged five soldiers for not assisting people in danger over the deaths of the 27 migrants.

The MAIB said it had recommended British and French authorities work together to improve the transfer of information between their coastguard agencies.

British transport minister Mark Harper said on Thursday the government would set up an independent inquiry into the incident.

The Channel between France and Britain is one of the world's busiest shipping lanes and currents are strong, making the crossing on small boats dangerous.

On the day of the deaths, 1,227 people attempted to cross the Channel, the British government said. More than 25,000 people have arrived in small boats so far in 2023.

A plan to deport asylum seekers to Rwanda, which prime minister Rishi Sunak hopes will stop migrants crossing the Channel in small boats, is embroiled in a court battle.

(Reuters)

More For You

Jolly Rancher Recalled in UK Over Cancer-Linked Chemical Fears

Jolly Rancher sweet products were recalled due to the presence of banned ingredients

Amazon.UK

Jolly Rancher candy recalled in UK over cancer-linked chemicals

An urgent warning has been issued in the UK after several popular Jolly Rancher sweet products were recalled due to the presence of banned ingredients linked to cancer. The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has confirmed that certain products, including Jolly Rancher Hard Candy, ‘Misfits’ Gummies, Hard Candy Fruity 2 in 1, and Berry Gummies, are affected.

These sweets, produced by American confectionery giant Hershey, were found to contain Mineral Oil Aromatic Hydrocarbons (MOAH) and Mineral Oil Saturated Hydrocarbon (MOSH), both of which are derived from crude oil and have been associated with serious health risks, including cancer.

Keep ReadingShow less
British national survives Ahmedabad Air India crash

Rescue and relief work underway following the Air India plane crash, in Ahmedabad. (PTI Photo)

British national survives Ahmedabad Air India crash

ONE survivor walked away from the Air India aircraft that crashed at Ahmedabad airport earlier this morning (12), according to the latest reports from India.

Vishwash Kumar Ramesh, 40, a UK national, was in seat 11A of the Air India Flight 171 bound for London Gatwick when it crashed shortly after take off from Ahmedabad with 242 people on board.

Keep ReadingShow less
Air India crash: Former Gujarat chief minister Rupani was on aircraft

FILE PHOTO: Former Gujarat chief minister Vijay Rupani. (PTI Photo)

Air India crash: Former Gujarat chief minister Rupani was on aircraft

FORMER Gujarat chief minister Vijay Rupani was believed to be on board the London-bound Air India plane that crashed near the Ahmedabad airport soon after take-off on Thursday (12), a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader said.

"Vijay Rupani was going to London by the Air India flight," senior BJP leader Bhupendrasinh Chudasama told reporters in Ahmedabad. "I am going to the city civil hospital to inquire about him," he added.

Keep ReadingShow less
Air India crash: Police collect 204 dead bodies

Police said they had collected 204 dead bodies (PTI photo)

Air India crash: Police collect 204 dead bodies

  • All 242 passengers on board believed to have been killed in the Air India crash AI-171 in Ahmedabad
  • Air India passenger hotline numbers - 1800 5691 444 and for foreign nationals +91 8062779200
  • There were 169 Indian passengers, 53 British, seven Portuguese, and a Canadian on board the flight bound for London Gatwick
  • Contact @HCI_London on the emergency number 07768765035 with regard to emergency visa assistance to travel to India if needed

POLICE in Ahmedabad said they had collected 204 dead bodies after the London-bound Air India aircraft with 242 people on board crashed into residential buildings after takeoff on Thursday (12).

“We have found 204 bodies,” city police commissioner GS Malik said, adding that 41 injured people were “under treatment”.

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer says scenes of Air India plane crash 'devastating'

Keir Starmer. (Photo by JORDAN PETTITT/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

Starmer says scenes of Air India plane crash 'devastating'

PRIME MINISTER Keir Starmer on Thursday (12) expressed his anguish following a plane crash involving a London-bound Air India flight with 53 British nationals among 242 on board, shortly after takeoff from Ahmedabad airport.

"The scenes emerging of a London-bound plane carrying many British nationals crashing in the Indian city of Ahmedabad are devastating,” Starmer said in a statement.

Keep ReadingShow less