INDIA’S quest to reclaim the Kohinoor diamond from Britain is firmly back on the agenda after senior Indian ministers met in New Delhi last week.
India’s external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj and culture minister Mahesh Sharma had a meeting last Friday (22) which led to reports that New Delhi will be making a fresh request to Britain for the return of the 108-carat diamond next month.
One of the world’s largest diamonds, the spectacular gem, currently set in a royal crown on display in the Tower of London, has long been the subject of ownership disputes. A number of countries, including Pakistan, have made claims towards the diamond.
The latest developments come after India’s solicitor general Ranjit Kumar told the supreme court in April that the diamond had been given to Britain and not stolen, only for the Indian government to say it will make “all possible efforts” to get back the famed diamond, part of the British Crown Jewels.
Sources said the recent meeting in New Delhi, where possibilities of getting the diamond back were discussed, had made a “major breakthrough” but did not provide details.
One of the options discussed was said to be a new treaty between India and the UK which would limit any future artefacts claims by India for the Kohinoor.
This move could ally fears of requests going forward, but it would also set an unwelcome precedent for Britain.
Former prime minister David Cameron, on a visit to India in 2010, said if Britain returned the diamond, “you suddenly find the British Museum empty.”
Asian politicians and business leaders reacted to the latest development with mixed feelings and opinions.
Leicester East MP Keith Vaz, who is also the chairman of the home affairs select committee, welcomed the news and said the matter should be settled for once and for all. He told Eastern Eye: “I am glad that the campaign to return the Kohinoor diamond has been renewed. The diamond belongs in India and I hope very much that prime minister Narendra Modi will once again ask the British government for the stone to be returned.“We have had some conflicting views in recent years. It is time to put this matter beyond all doubt,” he said.
Dr Rami Ranger, chairman of Sun Mark, was keen to highlight any repercussions on future trade and business relationships in light of recent developments in India (about the Kohinoor) and the UK.
He said: “The issue of the return of the Kohinoor diamond to India must be handled with diplomacy and care. It is a foregone conclusion that India and Britain will increasingly come closer in the wake of Brexit and as a result, we should avoid any kind of confrontation, but look at the bigger picture. “Besides, only part of the original Kohinoor is set in Her Majesty’s crown which symbolises the history and heritage of two great nations. “I suspect it will be very difficult for Britain to remove the stone from the Crown as it forms part of the Crown Jewels collection.”
“I am unaware of the location of the other stones which were part of the original Kohinoor,” Dr Ranger added.
Lord Meghnad Desai told Eastern Eye he did “not understand the fuss about the Kohinoor” and said there were more pressing issues to address than sparkling gems. “It [Kohinoor] changed hands many times in the last 800 years. In each case, it went from a losing king to the one who had defeated him.
“The Mughals got it from the Afghans who got it from Hindu kings. Then the Persians looted Delhi and took the Kohinoor. Then Ranjit Singh got it back from them (or maybe the Afghans, I forget). “When the British won the last Sikh war, they pocketed it as spoils of war. That is as legitimate a reason for possession as Ranjit Singh had. “One should also add that the capital of Ranjit Singh’s kingdom was in Lahore, where there is a museum in his honour. Pakistan could argue they are the successor nation to Ranjit Singh. “It is also a peculiar claim, but then so is India’s. I believe it is a total waste of time. The government of India should worry about toilets, not diamonds,” he said.
The UK Sikh Federation has written a letter to new British prime minister Theresa May and foreign secretary Boris Johnson expressing their “strong opposition” to the idea of returning the jewel to India.
Bhai Amrik Singh, Chair of the Federation said:
“The Indian State is wasting its time as it has no legal claim to the Kohinoor diamond.” “Narendra Modi knows India did not even exist when the Sikh Kingdom was annexed by the British in March 1849 or when Maharaja Duleep Singh was cheated into handing over the diamond to Queen Victoria. The Indian State is not a party to the Anglo-Sikh Treaties that have existed for over 200 years.”
“Modi is simply going through the motions and once again playing the nationalistic card, but it could easily backfire as he must know that before India and Pakistan came into existence in 1947 the British offered the Sikhs a separate Sikh homeland and a ten year agreement of military assistance and support for the Sikh administration.”
A spokesperson for the Department for Culture, Media and Sport said it was the long-standing position of the British government that the diamond should remain in the UK and Britain does not believe there are any legal grounds for restitution of the diamond.
US Secretary of Commerce Howard Lutnick said the administration plans to change the H1B programme, widely used by Indian IT professionals, as well as the Green Card process. (Representational image: iStock)
DHS proposes new rules to limit stay for foreign students and media personnel in the US
F visa “duration of status” system could be replaced with fixed terms
Trump team plans changes to H1B and Green Card processes
Proposal comes amid US-India tensions over tariffs on Russian oil
THE TRUMP administration has proposed new rules to limit how long foreign students and media personnel can stay in the United States.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said in a statement on Wednesday that if finalised, the rule would restrict the stay of certain visa holders, including students.
Change to “duration of status” rule
Since 1978, foreign students on F visas have been admitted to the US for an unspecified period known as “duration of status”. Unlike other visas, this designation allows students to remain in the country indefinitely without further screening, according to DHS.
The administration said some students have used this policy to stay in the country as “forever” students by continuously enrolling in higher education programmes.
“For too long, past administrations have allowed foreign students and other visa holders to remain in the US virtually indefinitely, posing safety risks, costing untold amounts of taxpayer dollars, and disadvantaging US citizens,” a DHS spokesperson said.
“This new proposed rule would end that abuse once and for all by limiting the amount of time certain visa holders are allowed to remain in the US,” the spokesperson added.
Visa limits for foreign media
Foreign media personnel working in the US on an I visa currently receive a five-year visa that can be extended multiple times. Under the proposed rule, the initial admission period would be up to 240 days.
They could seek an extension of up to another 240 days, but not longer than the duration of their temporary assignment.
Four-year cap for students and exchange visitors
Under the plan, foreign students and exchange visitors would be allowed to stay for the length of their programme, but not longer than four years.
Extending stays would require applying to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), giving DHS the authority to reassess visa holders before approving additional time.
This proposal was originally introduced by the Trump administration in 2020 but withdrawn in 2021 under President Biden.
Planned changes to H1B and Green Card
Separately, US Secretary of Commerce Howard Lutnick said the administration plans to change the H1B programme, widely used by Indian IT professionals, as well as the Green Card process.
“I'm involved in changing the H1B programme. We're going to change that programme, because that's terrible,” Lutnick told Fox News on Tuesday.
He added that changes are also being planned for the Green Card system that provides permanent residency in the US.
Strain in US-India ties
The proposal comes amid tensions between the US and India after the Trump administration imposed 50 per cent tariffs on Indian purchases of Russian oil, effective from Wednesday.
By clicking the 'Subscribe’, you agree to receive our newsletter, marketing communications and industry
partners/sponsors sharing promotional product information via email and print communication from Garavi Gujarat
Publications Ltd and subsidiaries. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the
unsubscribe link in our emails. We will use your email address to personalize our communications and send you
relevant offers. Your data will be stored up to 30 days after unsubscribing.
Contact us at data@amg.biz to see how we manage and store your data.
Company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history
Royal Mail is rolling out 3,500 redesigned solar-powered postboxes.
The upgrade allows customers to post small parcels via a digital drawer.
The move marks the biggest redesign in the company’s 175-year history.
Rollout begins in Edinburgh, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester after successful pilots.
Royal Mail launches major redesign
Royal Mail is set to introduce 3,500 solar-powered postboxes across the UK, in what the company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history. The new-look boxes, fitted with solar panels and digital technology, are designed to accommodate small parcels as well as letters.
How the new postboxes work
The redesigned boxes feature solar panels on top, aligned southwards for maximum sunlight. A barcode scanner beneath the slot activates a drop-down drawer, which can fit parcels up to the size of a shoebox. Customers will be able to access the service via the Royal Mail app, request proof of posting and track their parcels.
Pilot scheme success
The initiative follows a pilot in Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire, where two different designs were trialled. One version included a fully black lid, but Royal Mail has opted to retain the traditional red finish with a white-topped grid of solar panels to preserve brand identity.
Responding to market pressures
Royal Mail is pushing to expand its parcel services as competition from delivery firms such as Evri and Yodel intensifies. The rise in online shopping and second-hand marketplaces has driven higher demand for parcel delivery and returns, fuelling the need for more convenient services.
“We are all sending and returning more parcels than ever before,” said Jack Clarkson, Managing Director at Royal Mail. “This trend will only continue as online shopping shows no signs of slowing.”
Industry challenges
Despite innovation, Royal Mail continues to face difficulties. The company, which was acquired by a Czech billionaire in December, has been fined for failing to meet delivery targets and recently announced it would cut costs by delivering second-class letters on alternate weekdays, excluding Saturdays.
Other European postal services are already scaling back, with Denmark’s PostNord ending letter deliveries altogether. Royal Mail hopes its redesigned postboxes will help retain market share amid growing competition and changing customer habits.
Keep ReadingShow less
Pandit is the third senior Starmer aide to leave after chief of staff Sue Gray in October and director of communications Matthew Doyle in March..(Photo: Getty Images)
PRIME MINISTER Keir Starmer is set to replace his principal private secretary Nin Pandit, who has held the role for ten months.
Pandit is the third senior aide to leave after chief of staff Sue Gray in October and director of communications Matthew Doyle in March.
Her appointment was announced in the same No 10 statement that confirmed Gray’s departure.
The BBC reports that the prime minister had concerns over Pandit’s performance, though No 10 disputes this and said he continues to have confidence in her.
It is expected she will move to another government role. No 10 confirmed she remains in post but did not say if her exit is imminent.
The principal private secretary is a key role in the civil service, acting as the prime minister’s gatekeeper and controlling the flow of information, diary, and access.
The PPS usually works alongside the chief of staff near the prime minister’s office.
Before taking up the role, Pandit headed the No 10 policy unit under Rishi Sunak and was previously chief of staff to the NHS England chief executive.
Keep ReadingShow less
Matt and Maria Raine filed the case in the Superior Court of California on Tuesday
Matt and Maria Raine have filed a lawsuit against OpenAI following the death of their 16-year-old son, Adam.
The suit claims ChatGPT validated the teenager’s suicidal thoughts and failed to intervene appropriately.
OpenAI expressed sympathy and said it is reviewing the case.
The company admitted its systems have not always behaved as intended in sensitive situations.
A California couple has launched legal action against OpenAI, alleging its chatbot ChatGPT played a role in their teenage son’s suicide.
Matt and Maria Raine filed the case in the Superior Court of California on Tuesday, accusing the company of negligence and wrongful death. Their 16-year-old son, Adam, died in April 2025. It is the first known lawsuit of its kind against the artificial intelligence firm.
The Raines are seeking damages and injunctive relief to prevent similar incidents.
Teen’s reliance on ChatGPT
According to court filings, Adam began using ChatGPT in September 2024 for schoolwork and to explore interests including music and Japanese comics. The lawsuit claims the tool soon became his “closest confidant,” and that he disclosed anxiety and mental health struggles to the programme.
By January 2025, Adam was reportedly discussing suicide methods with ChatGPT. He also uploaded photos showing signs of self-harm. The programme recognised a “medical emergency” but continued engaging, according to the family.
The final chat logs cited in the case allegedly show ChatGPT responding to Adam’s plans to end his life with the words: “Thanks for being real about it. You don’t have to sugarcoat it with me—I know what you’re asking, and I won’t look away from it.”
Adam was found dead later that day.
OpenAI’s response
OpenAI said it was reviewing the filing and offered condolences to the Raine family.
In a public note, the company acknowledged that “recent heartbreaking cases” of people using ChatGPT during crises weighed heavily on it. It stressed the system is designed to direct users to professional help lines, such as the Samaritans in the UK and the 988 suicide hotline in the US.
However, it admitted there had been occasions where “our systems did not behave as intended in sensitive situations.”
Allegations against Sam Altman and staff
The lawsuit names OpenAI’s co-founder and chief executive Sam Altman as a defendant, along with unnamed engineers, managers and employees. The family alleges Adam’s death was the “predictable result of deliberate design choices” aimed at fostering user dependency.
It further accuses the company of bypassing safety protocols to release GPT-4o, the model used by Adam in his final conversations.
Broader concerns over AI and mental health
This case follows wider warnings about the risks of AI in sensitive contexts.
Last week, New York Times writer Laura Reiley described how her daughter Sophie confided in ChatGPT before her own death. She argued that the chatbot’s “agreeability” allowed her daughter to mask her distress.
OpenAI has since said it is developing new tools to better identify and respond to signs of emotional or mental health crises in users.
US tech billionaire Elon Musk has said he will help fund legal cases against officials he believes turned a blind eye to child sexual abuse. His intervention follows a private investigation revealing that such abuse has occurred in 85 local authorities across Britain, reported the Telegraph.
Musk posted on X that he wants to “fund legal actions against corrupt officials who aided and abetted the rape of Britain,” referencing findings from an unofficial inquiry. He encouraged victims and their families to get in touch directly through the platform.
This private investigation, known as the Rape Gang Inquiry and led by former MP Rupert Lowe, claimed to have found evidence of child sexual exploitation in councils from Aberdeen City to Norwich, spanning many decades—some dating back to the 1960s.
The inquiry revealed it has received hundreds of accounts from survivors and whistle-blowers and logged thousands of Freedom of Information requests.
Lowe stressed the urgency for action, noting a growing frustration among survivors with the lack of results, despite promises of a public inquiry by the current government. “The message from survivors is clear: get on with it,” he said.
Musk’s involvement has added global attention to the scandal. While the government had previously resisted calls for a new inquiry, a long-awaited official investigation was launched in June, led by Baroness Louise Casey, with statutory powers to compel witnesses.
This follows years of systemic failure exposed by earlier inquiries—most notably the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse, which described widespread exploitation and shortcomings in institutional responses. Even so, many of its recommendations remain unimplemented.
Musk has also used X to heavily criticise current and former officials, including safeguarding minister Jess Phillips and prime minister Keir Starmer. He accused them of complicity or indifference, including calling Phillips a “rape genocide apologist” and asserting that Starmer, as former director of Public Prosecutions, failed to act.
British officials have dismissed these claims as distortion and misinformation. Critics worry that Musk’s involvement may stoke political polarisation, especially given his ties to right-wing groups and his previous incendiary posts on the platform. Nonetheless, for survivors seeking justice, his support could offer a valuable route to the courts.
As the official inquiry continues, Musk has offered to fund legal cases against officials accused of failing victims. Meanwhile, survivors and families are awaiting action to ensure the investigations deliver accountability.