Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

England hero Moeen Ali wants Ashes role for coach Saqlain Mushtaq

England star Moeen Ali wants Saqlain Mushtaq's coaching role made permanent so he can continue to work with him in the upcoming Ashes series following his record-breaking feats against South Africa.

The 30-year-old Ali, an off-spinner and left-handed batsman, became the first man to score more than 250 runs and take 25 wickets in a four Test-match series during England's 3-1 win over the Proteas.


Afterwards, Ali was unstinting in his praise of spin coach Saqlain.

The former Pakistan off-spinner is, however, currently employed by the England and Wales Cricket Board on a consultancy basis only and Ali said: "If you are going to have batting, fielding and fast-bowling coaches, it would be nice to have a spin-bowling coach for pretty much all the games.

"If I do get on that plane for the Ashes, hopefully I'll have Saqqy sitting next to me," he added. "I'd like him to be there. He can help me out."

Ali has often labelled himself a "second spinner".

But his bowling has improved markedly under Saqlain's guidance.

"Saqqy has been amazing for me in terms of helping with my fields, helping me understand my bowling a lot more than I had done previously -- and I think that has been the biggest difference," said Ali after bowling England to a 177-run win in the fourth Test at Old Trafford with more than a day to spare on Monday (7).

Hashim Amla's 83 held England up but a toilet break gave Ali a chance to consult Saqlain and he subsequently had the star batsman lbw.

It was the start of an Ali burst that yielded three wickets for five runs in 11 balls.

"He (Saqlain) gave me the option of putting a silly point in," Ali said. "Maybe it put something in the batter's mind in terms of playing forward.

"I bowled a bit shorter, he went back. I think that made the difference.

"There is always something new with Saqqy. The basics are the same, but he has found a few variations in my bowling which I am working on.

"He is brilliant with my mindset," explained Ali, who ended the match with two wickets in two balls after finishing England's victory in the third Test at The Oval with a hat-trick.

"Before, I just bowled. I didn't really think too much," added Ali, who finished with five for 69 on Monday.

"I let the captain set the field. Saqlain has helped me understand my action, field settings and the type of batsmen," said Ali, who took 10 wickets in England's first Test win at Lord's.

Ashes-holders England have three Tests at home to the West Indies before they travel to Australia, with Ali hinting at a full-time role for Saqlain by saying: "That's not too far from the future."

The South Africa series also saw Ali make valuable runs, as exemplified by his unbeaten second-innings 75 at Old Trafford.

"I feel a lot more confident in my ability," he said.

"I feel like it was building... I had been batting well over the last year, and the bowling was coming."

Although he won both the man-of-the-match and series awards on Monday, Ali took no part in some of the celebrations that followed England captain Joe Root lifting the Basil D'Oliveira Trophy.

Ali's Muslim faith prohibits not just the drinking of alcohol but contact too - a risk when champagne is being sprayed around on the winners' podium.

But former captain Alastair Cook made sure Ali was included in all the team photos before the corks started popping at Old Trafford.

"The team respects that, and I'm obviously very grateful," Ali said.

"Cooky said 'make sure we take the picture first', and then I move out the way and they can do what they do.

"I don't feel I miss out, it's just spraying a bottle, not that exciting really."

More For You

 Ishaq Dar

Pakistan's foreign minister Ishaq Dar said Pakistan had not requested any mediation in its talks with India, but was offered a meeting at a neutral venue. (Photo: Getty Images)

Pakistan seeks Kashmir and terrorism talks with India

PAKISTAN is ready for a “comprehensive dialogue with India” to discuss Kashmir and other issues, foreign minister Ishaq Dar said on Friday (22).

Dar, who also holds the portfolio of the deputy prime minister, said Pakistan was clear from the outset that discussions with India would not take place on any single-point agenda.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anil Ambani

Ambani, the younger brother of Asia’s richest man Mukesh Ambani, has business interests across sectors including power and defence. (Photo: Reuters)

India’s federal investigator files fraud case against Anil Ambani

INDIA's federal investigator, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), has registered a criminal case against tycoon Anil Ambani following a complaint from the State Bank of India (SBI) alleging fraud, the agency said on Saturday.

Ambani, the younger brother of Asia’s richest man Mukesh Ambani, has business interests across sectors including power and defence.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pujara-Tests-Getty

Pujara made his Test debut in 2010 and went on to score 7,195 runs in the format at an average of 43.60. (Photo: Getty Images)

Cheteshwar Pujara announces retirement after 103 Tests

CHETESHWAR PUJARA on Sunday (August 24) announced his retirement from all forms of Indian cricket, bringing to a close an international career that lasted more than a decade.

Pujara played 103 Test matches and five One Day Internationals for India. His last appearance came in the World Test Championship final against Australia in 2023.

Keep ReadingShow less
Farage-Getty

Farage said he would end the right to claim asylum or challenge deportation for people arriving this way by replacing current human rights laws and withdrawing Britain from refugee treaties. (Photo: Getty Images)

Farage outlines plan for ‘mass deportation’ of asylum seekers

NIGEL FARAGE has set out plans for "mass deportations" of migrants who cross the English Channel on small boats if his Reform UK party comes to power.

Speaking to The Times on Saturday (August 23), the former Brexit campaigner said he would withdraw Britain from the European Convention on Human Rights and make agreements with Afghanistan, Eritrea and other main countries of origin to repatriate illegal migrants.

Keep ReadingShow less
Camila Cabello suffers corset mishap during Yours C concert but powers through in front of thousands

Camila Cabello keeps performing after her corset came undone mid-song in Taiwan

Instagram/camila_cabello

Camila Cabello suffers corset mishap during Yours C concert but powers through in front of thousands

Highlights:

  • Camila Cabello suffered a wardrobe malfunction when her corset popped open mid-performance.
  • The singer admitted to panicking but continued the show without missing a beat.
  • She later addressed the moment on Instagram, joking about the mishap.
  • The Kaohsiung, Taiwan, concert marked the start of the Asia leg of her Yours, C world tour.

Camila Cabello faced an unexpected wardrobe malfunction when her pale-pink corset popped open during a performance on her Yours, C world tour. The Señorita hitmaker went into “panic” mode as the top came undone while she sang Chanel No. 5, but she managed to keep her composure on stage. The moment quickly trended online, with fans praising her professionalism.

Camila Cabello signalled her team for help as she continued dancing with fans cheering her onInstagram/camila_cabello

Keep ReadingShow less