Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Deadly storms batter India

WARNING OF MORE EXTREME WEATHER ON THE WAY AFTER 125 PEOPLE KILLED

AUTHORITIES in India warned that thunder­storms accompanied by squall and hail are likely to hit large parts of north­ern and eastern India and isolated places in the south on Tuesday (8), a week after deadly storms killed 125 people.


Dust clouds plunged swathes of north India into darkness last Thursday (3) as choking winds of more than 130km (80 miles) per hour swept across the states of Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Punjab, flattening houses, walls, trees and power pylons.

At least 111 people were killed, many as they slept when walls and roofs came tumbling down on them.

Another 14 people were killed in the southern Andhra Pradesh state which was hammered by more than 41,000 lightning strikes last Wednesday (2), disaster officials said.

Uttar Pradesh and Ra­jasthan bore the brunt of the dust storm that was blamed on a collision of two weather fronts with In­dia in the grip of higher temperatures than normal.

Some districts reported 45 minutes of destructive winds followed by fierce lightning storms.

Similar storms kill many people each year in India but this was one of the most severe in recent decades.

On Monday (7), India’s Meteorological Depart­ment (IMD) issued a warn­ing of thunderstorms ac­companied by squall and hail in large parts of north­ern and eastern India, prompting emergency measures such as closure of schools and cancelling civic officials’ holidays.

Shivam Lohia, who owns a resort hotel in Alwar district of Rajasthan, abandoned his car last week on the road and ran for his life after it was almost blown away.

“I haven’t seen such a devastating storm in at least 25 years. Everyone was scared and running for cov­er as trees and homes were getting blown away. It was a nightmare,” Lohia said.

There were 73 confirmed deaths in Uttar Pradesh in the north, 36 in the desert state of Rajasthan to the west, and two in Punjab.

Agra district in Uttar Pradesh was one of the worst hit areas, with at least 43 people killed. The Taj Mahal is in Agra city, but officials said the monument escaped damage.

The Uttar Pradesh relief commissioner’s office said the death toll was “unprece­dented” from such a storm in the past 20 years. (Agencies)

More For You

Lakshmi Mittal

Mittal's exit comes as Rachel Reeves prepares a fresh tax raising budget aimed at balancing the government's finances

Getty Images

Lakshmi Mittal quits Britain for Switzerland and Dubai over inheritance tax concerns

Highlights

  • Lakshmi Mittal, worth over £15 bn, has moved his tax residence from UK to Switzerland with plans to spend most time in Dubai.
  • Inheritance tax concerns, not income tax, drove the decision of the "King of Steel" to leave after 30 years in Britain.
  • The departure marks another high-profile exit as chancellor Rachel Reeves prepares major tax rises in the coming Budget.
Lakshmi Mittal, one of Britain's wealthiest men, has ended his three-decade association with the UK, relocating his tax residence to Switzerland and planning to base himself in Dubai. The 74-year-old steel magnate, worth approximately £15.5 bn according to the Asian Rich List 2025, is the latest prominent entrepreneur to leave Britain amid Labour's tax reforms targeting the super-rich.

The Indian-born billionaire built his fortune through ArcelorMittal, the world's second-largest steelmaker, in which he and his family hold nearly 40 per cent ownership. Since arriving in London in 1995, Mittal became a prominent figure in British business, acquiring expensive properties including a £57 m mansion on Kensington Palace Gardens known as the "Taj Mittal."

An adviser familiar with Mittal's family plans told The Sunday Times that, inheritance tax was the decisive factor in the decision. "It wasn't the tax on income or capital gains that was the issue, the issue was inheritance tax."

Keep ReadingShow less