Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Cambridge University rules out face-to-face lectures, plans online classes next academic year

CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY has become one of the first in the world to announce that all its lectures would be delivered online over the next academic year because of the coronavirus outbreak.

The university, which shut its campuses to students in March after the British government introduced a strict lockdown to curb the spread of COVID-19, said on Wednesday (20) that teaching would be delivered virtually until summer 2021, although it was possible some smaller teaching groups might be able to occur in person.


"Given that it is likely that social distancing will continue to be required, the university has decided there will be no face-to-face lectures during the next academic year," the university said in a statement.

It said the decision could be reviewed depending on official guidance on dealing with the virus.

Smaller teaching groups could also take place in person, the university added, but only as long as they conform to social-distancing requirements.

"We must all be realistic ... about the world-wide challenges posed by the pandemic," said the university's Vice-Chancellor Stephen Toope.

"University life here, as everywhere, will need to adapt."

The university moved all teaching online in March. Exams will also be carried out virtually.

A spokeswoman for Universities UK said the Cambridge announcement appeared to be the first in the UK to apply to the whole year.

California State University had decided last week to make fall term classes virtual, one of the first in the US to do so, amid fears of a second wave of infections.

Authorities had said earlier this month that institutions could still charge the full tuition fee of £9,250 pounds as long as they maintained high standards of online teaching.

Nicola Dandridge, chief executive of the university watchdog the Office for Students, told lawmakers on Monday that students needed to know what education they would be offered before they accepted places.

"What we don't want to see are promises that it's all going to be back to usual - an on-campus experience - when it turns out that's not the case," she said.

More For You

Racist incidents against NHS nurses rise 78 per cent

The RCN says calls from ethnic minority nurses reporting racism rose by 70 per cent between 2022 and 2025

iStock

Racist incidents against NHS nurses rise 78 per cent

Highlights

  • Nursing staff reported 6,812 racist incidents in 2025, up from 3,652 in 2022.
  • RCN warns real figures are far higher due to widespread under-reporting.
  • From October, NHS employers will be legally liable for harassment of staff by patients.
Racist abuse against NHS nurses has gone up sharply. New figures show a 78 per cent rise in reported incidents over the past four years.
The Royal College of Nursing gathered this data through Freedom of Information requests sent to NHS trusts and health boards across the UK.
The findings show that nursing staff reported more than 21,000 incidents of racial abuse between 2022 and 2025. In 2025 alone, there were 6,812 incidents, up from 3,652 in 2022.
That means a new report of racist abuse was being made every 77 minutes somewhere in the NHS.

The incidents paint a disturbing picture of what many nurses face on a daily basis. One nurse was called a monkey by a colleague.

A patient threw a hot drink at a nurse and then followed it with racial abuse. In one case, a patient's family said they did not want black nurses looking after their relative.

Keep ReadingShow less