Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Britain denounces Islamic State video showing ‘spies’ shot

An Islamic State video showing a young boy in military fatigues and an older masked militant who both spoke with British accents is “desperate” propaganda from an organisation that is losing ground, Prime Minister David Cameron said on Monday.

The video, which could not be independently verified, also shows the killing of five men accused of spying for Britain.


The masked man threatens Cameron and vows that Islamic State will one day occupy Britain before shooting one of the alleged spies in the head.

The footage revived memories of “Jihadi John”, a British Islamic State member who appeared in several videos in which hostages were killed before his own death was reported in an air strike late last year.

“It’s desperate stuff from an organisation that really does do the most utterly despicable and ghastly acts, and people can see that again today,” Cameron told reporters.

“This is an organisation that’s losing territory, it’s losing ground ... Britain will never be cowed by this sort of terrorism, our values are so much stronger than theirs. It may take a very long time but they will be defeated.”

In the latest fighting in Iraq, Islamic State has largely been pushed out of the city of Ramadi, its biggest prize of last year.

The United States said in November it had killed Mohammed Emwazi, who as “Jihadi John” had become a symbol of Islamic State. The voice and appearance of the masked militant shown in the new video was different from Emwazi, but he spoke in a clear English accent, waving a gun at the camera while criticising Cameron.

“This is a message to David Cameron, O slave of the White House, O mule of the Jews,” the man said in the 10-minute video released on Sunday.

“How strange it is that a leader of a small island threatens us with a handful of planes. One would have thought you’d have learned the lessons of your pathetic master in Washington and his failed campaign against the Islamic State,” the man said.

Reports have speculated that the militant might be Siddhartha Dhar, who is also known as Abu Rumaysah, a convert from Hinduism and a high-profile Islamist, although security experts were divided on whether it was him.

Dhar left Britain with his family to travel to Syria despite being on police bail after being arrested in late 2014 on suspicion of being a member of a banned organisation.

Cameron’s spokeswoman said Britain was examining the video and the prime minister was being kept updated. She was not aware whether Cameron himself had watched it.

“It serves as a reminder of the barbarity of Daesh and what the world faces with these terrorists. It is also clearly a propaganda tool and should be treated as such,” the spokeswoman said, referring to Islamic State by one of its Arabic acronyms.

When asked whether the executed men shown had been spies, the spokeswoman declined to comment on intelligence matters but said the group’s past propaganda had not all been true.

After the killings of the five men, a young English-speaking boy, who is wearing a black bandana and appears to be about four or five years old, is shown saying: “So go kill the kuffar [unbelievers] right over there.”

The father of Grace Dare, a woman from London who left Britain to join Islamic State and marry a militant, said he believed the boy was her son.

“It’s my grandson. I can’t disown him,” Sunday Dare told Channel 4 News.

“He doesn’t like it over there. It’s propaganda. They are just using a small boy. He doesn’t know anything. They are just using him as a shield.”

In November, British officials said that up to 800 Britons had travelled to Iraq and Syria, some to join Islamic State. About 50 percent had returned home while about 70 were believed to have been killed.

More For You

Newcastle marks India’s 79th Independence Day

Senior civic leaders, academics, and business figures attended this landmark event

AMG

Newcastle marks India’s 79th Independence Day with first official Consulate-led event

Highlights:

  • First-ever official Indian Independence Day celebration hosted by the Consulate in Newcastle upon Tyne.
  • JM Meenu Malhotra DL, Honorary Consul General of India in England, led the event and hoisted the tricolour.
  • Cultural highlights included Mi Marathi Dhol Group, a classical dance by Madhura Godbole, and a Tamil flash mob by Spice FM.
  • Senior civic leaders, academics, and business figures attended, making it a landmark occasion for the Indian community in the North East of England.

Newcastle hosts first-ever official Independence Day event

The Indian Consulate in Newcastle upon Tyne hosted its first-ever official Independence Day celebration this week, coinciding with India’s 79th Independence Day. The event, hosted at the Civic Centre, coincided with India’s 79th Independence Day and was attended by a cross-section of civic leaders, academics, business representatives, and cultural figures.

Newcastle marks India\u2019s 79th Independence Day The Indian Consulate in Newcastle upon Tyne hosted its first-ever official Independence Day celebration this weekAMG

Keep ReadingShow less
Sadiq Khan open to meeting Trump, warns he is “not a force for good”
Sadiq Khan

Sadiq Khan open to meeting Trump, warns he is “not a force for good”

London mayor Sadiq Khan said he would be willing to meet Donald Trump, even as he warned the US president could be “inadvertently radicalising people” and was “not a force for good”.

The Labour politician dismissed Trump’s recent jibes during a visit to Scotland, where the president called him “a nasty person” who had “done a terrible job”. Khan said the remarks were “water off a duck’s back”, though at times they made him feel “nine years old again” and “in the school playground”.

Keep ReadingShow less
Monsoon floods kill hundreds in Pakistan, many still trapped

Mourners offer funeral prayers for victims of flash floods in Buner district in northern Pakistan's mountainous Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on August 16, 2025. (Photo by AZIZ BUNERI/AFP via Getty Images)

Monsoon floods kill hundreds in Pakistan, many still trapped

RESCUE operations are ongoing in northwest Pakistan, where more than 150 people remain missing after days of heavy monsoon rains caused deadly flash floods and landslides.

The disaster has left at least 344 people dead in the region, with the national death toll surpassing 650 since the monsoon season began in late June.

Keep ReadingShow less
Afzal Khan resigns as UK trade envoy after northern Cyprus visit
Afzal Khan

Afzal Khan resigns as UK trade envoy after northern Cyprus visit

LABOUR MP Afzal Khan has stepped down from his role as the UK’s trade envoy to Turkey following criticism over a personal visit to the Turkish-occupied north of Cyprus.

Khan, who represents Manchester Rusholme, travelled to the self-declared Turkish Republic of northern Cyprus recently. The region is not recognised by the UK government, as Turkish forces have occupied the northern third of the island since 1974.

Keep ReadingShow less
US trade negotiators cancel New Delhi visit, talks delayed

FILE PHOTO: US president Donald Trump meets with Indian prime minister Narendra Modi at the White House in Washington. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

US trade negotiators cancel New Delhi visit, talks delayed

A PLANNED visit by US trade negotiators to New Delhi from August 25-29 has been called off, a source said, delaying talks on a proposed trade agreement and dashing hopes of relief from additional US tariffs on Indian goods from August 27.

The current round of negotiations for the proposed bilateral trade agreement is now likely to be deferred to another date that has yet to be decided, the source with direct knowledge of the matter said.

Keep ReadingShow less