Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Australia openers survive after Kohli, Pujara heroics post huge total

A 170-run stand between century-maker Cheteshwar Pujara and captain Virat Kohli put India in a dominant position in the third Test Thursday as Australia's openers survived half a dozen nervy overs before the close.

Dogged Pujara stroked 106 and Kohli 82 before they both fell soon after lunch on what until then had been a lifeless Melbourne pitch.


Rohit Sharma was not out 63 after notching his 10th Test half-century when Kohli called a halt to the innings late in the day at 443 for seven as India go in search of a crucial 2-1 lead in the four-Test series.

That gave the tourists' attack six overs before stumps to target Australian openers Marcus Harris and Aaron Finch, who battled through to be eight without loss.

"I think we have enough runs on the board. Already today you can see the pitch has started deteriorating and there's variable bounce on it. I don't think it's easy to bat on now," said Pujara.

"Our bowlers have been bowling well so I would say we have enough runs on the board."

Despite the ominous task ahead, Finch insisted Australia could still win.

"It's still game on if we bat really well and then back up and bowl well and put Indiaunder a lot of pressure," he said.

"I think that absolutely all three results are still on the table 100 percent -- India, Australia and a draw. It's hard to say after two days with the wicket deteriorating, but we are confident we can bat really big."

- Stoic Pujara -

Pujara and Kohli had continued to build their intimidating partnership after coming together when openers Hanuma Vihari and Mayank Agarwal fell on day one.

They batted through to lunch with scarcely an alarming moment. But when Kohli started to take on the short ball soon after being seen by the physio for a back complaint in the afternoon session, he was undone by pace spearhead Mitchell Starc.

The Indian run-machine had hit a four and was attempting another boundary next ball when he uppercut to third man for Finch to take an easy catch.

It deprived Kohli of a 26th Test century and the chance to surpass boyhood hero Sachin Tendulkar by making a seventh hundred in Australia. They remain tied on six each.

A stoic Pujara had been unflappable in his 319-ball innings until Pat Cummins sent down a rocket that stayed low, breached his defence and clattered into the stumps.

Pujara, who has scored more runs and faced more balls than any other batsman in the series, added 38 to his overnight 68 in another tremendous knock by a man who has now scored 17 Test tons and two in this series.

It was an arduous day for Australia's bowlers in hot conditions with Cummins' 3-72 proving the pick.

Sharma, back after missing the second Test with an injury, was in good touch, but had a massive let-off on 15 when he swept a Nathan Lyon delivery to square leg where substitute fielder Peter Siddle made a complete mess of a simple catch.

Australia's leading spinner finally got a reward in his next over, trapping vice-captain Ajinkya Rahane lbw for 34 as the pitch started to show signs of variable bounce which could spell trouble for the home batsmen.

Lyon had another chance spilled when Cummins fumbled an easy catch from Rishabh Pant near the boundary. Pant finally fell for 39 and when Ravindra Jadeja went soon after, Kohli made the declaration.

The flat track in Melbourne follows much livelier pitches in Adelaide and Perth which produced results in the four-Test series which is on a knife-edge at 1-1.

Last year's Boxing Day Test saw a dull Ashes draw with England that prompted the match referee to grade the pitch "poor" and there was hope for more juice in it this time round.

Cricket Australia chief executive Kevin Roberts said the pitch would only be fully judged after the Test finishes, but conceded "a sense of urgency in the regeneration of this wicket square".

More For You

 Ishaq Dar

Pakistan's foreign minister Ishaq Dar said Pakistan had not requested any mediation in its talks with India, but was offered a meeting at a neutral venue. (Photo: Getty Images)

Pakistan seeks Kashmir and terrorism talks with India

PAKISTAN is ready for a “comprehensive dialogue with India” to discuss Kashmir and other issues, foreign minister Ishaq Dar said on Friday (22).

Dar, who also holds the portfolio of the deputy prime minister, said Pakistan was clear from the outset that discussions with India would not take place on any single-point agenda.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anil Ambani

Ambani, the younger brother of Asia’s richest man Mukesh Ambani, has business interests across sectors including power and defence. (Photo: Reuters)

India’s federal investigator files fraud case against Anil Ambani

INDIA's federal investigator, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), has registered a criminal case against tycoon Anil Ambani following a complaint from the State Bank of India (SBI) alleging fraud, the agency said on Saturday.

Ambani, the younger brother of Asia’s richest man Mukesh Ambani, has business interests across sectors including power and defence.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pujara-Tests-Getty

Pujara made his Test debut in 2010 and went on to score 7,195 runs in the format at an average of 43.60. (Photo: Getty Images)

Cheteshwar Pujara announces retirement after 103 Tests

CHETESHWAR PUJARA on Sunday (August 24) announced his retirement from all forms of Indian cricket, bringing to a close an international career that lasted more than a decade.

Pujara played 103 Test matches and five One Day Internationals for India. His last appearance came in the World Test Championship final against Australia in 2023.

Keep ReadingShow less
Farage-Getty

Farage said he would end the right to claim asylum or challenge deportation for people arriving this way by replacing current human rights laws and withdrawing Britain from refugee treaties. (Photo: Getty Images)

Farage outlines plan for ‘mass deportation’ of asylum seekers

NIGEL FARAGE has set out plans for "mass deportations" of migrants who cross the English Channel on small boats if his Reform UK party comes to power.

Speaking to The Times on Saturday (August 23), the former Brexit campaigner said he would withdraw Britain from the European Convention on Human Rights and make agreements with Afghanistan, Eritrea and other main countries of origin to repatriate illegal migrants.

Keep ReadingShow less
Camila Cabello suffers corset mishap during Yours C concert but powers through in front of thousands

Camila Cabello keeps performing after her corset came undone mid-song in Taiwan

Instagram/camila_cabello

Camila Cabello suffers corset mishap during Yours C concert but powers through in front of thousands

Highlights:

  • Camila Cabello suffered a wardrobe malfunction when her corset popped open mid-performance.
  • The singer admitted to panicking but continued the show without missing a beat.
  • She later addressed the moment on Instagram, joking about the mishap.
  • The Kaohsiung, Taiwan, concert marked the start of the Asia leg of her Yours, C world tour.

Camila Cabello faced an unexpected wardrobe malfunction when her pale-pink corset popped open during a performance on her Yours, C world tour. The Señorita hitmaker went into “panic” mode as the top came undone while she sang Chanel No. 5, but she managed to keep her composure on stage. The moment quickly trended online, with fans praising her professionalism.

Camila Cabello signalled her team for help as she continued dancing with fans cheering her onInstagram/camila_cabello

Keep ReadingShow less