Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK police warn no-deal Brexit will make their job harder

British police chiefs said Tuesday (18) they are preparing for a no-deal Brexit but warned that losing access to dozens of EU-wide tools will make it "harder" to protect UK and European citizens.

National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) Chair Sara Thornton announced the creation of a new national unit to help her forces adapt to alternative data-sharing and cooperation systems.


But she warned the fallback options to tools like the European arrest warrant and Europol will be inferior.

"The fallbacks we're going to have to use will be slower, will be more bureaucratic and it would make it much harder for us to protect UK citizens and... EU citizens," Thornton said.

"We are determined to do everything we can to mitigate that, but it will be hard."

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Richard Martin, NPCC lead for Brexit, noted Britain is among the biggest EU contributors of intelligence and action on warrants -- and its absence would be felt on both sides of the Channel.

"Would we like to keep keep everything we have? Of course," he added.

Britain will leave the European Union on March 29, 2019, and has pressed to continue participating in up to 40 databases and mechanisms for sharing information and enacting cross-border arrests used by bloc members.

The EU has repeatedly warned it will lose access to the various tools.

London and Brussels are currently locked in negotiations to reach a withdrawal agreement, which would see Britain retain access during a 21-month transition period.

But both sides have also talked up the possibility of the country crashing out without any deal.

The new national operations centre, to be created through £2 million in Home Office funding and staffed by around 50 officers, will help British police transition to using replacements.

Police identified the key instruments that could be lost in a no-deal scenario as sharing real-time alerts for wanted criminals and the ability to map transnational terrorist and crime networks.

Police chiefs said certain heavily-used tools would be the most sorely missed.

They include the Schengen information sharing system, which British police checked 539 million times last year, and the European arrest warrant, which has led to over 10,000 individuals being returned to EU members since its rollout in 2004.

Future warrants would be pursued through a 1957 convention or bilateral agreements, police said.

No access to a European criminal records database could see a six-day average waiting time for suspects' records jump to 66 days under the fallback tool.

Charlie Hall from the NPCC said forces were preparing simulations for various Brexit-related outcomes, including changes in crime patterns and public disorder.

AFP

More For You

Woman on FBI’s 'most wanted list' caught in India over child murder

Cindy Rodriguez Singh (Photo: FBI)

Woman on FBI’s 'most wanted list' caught in India over child murder

A WOMAN listed on the FBI’s '10 most wanted fugitives' has been arrested in India on charges of murdering her six-year-old son, officials have confirmed.

Cindy Rodriguez Singh, 40, was apprehended in a coordinated effort involving the FBI, Indian authorities, and Interpol. This marks the fourth arrest from the FBI’s 'top 10 most wanted' list within the past seven months, FBI director Kash Patel announced in a post on X on Wednesday (20).

Keep ReadingShow less
Agni 5 Missile

India's Agni 5 Missile is displayed during the final full dress rehearsal for the Indian Republic Day parade in New Delhi on January 23, 2013. (Photo: Getty Images)

getty images

India test-fires nuclear-capable Agni-5 missile

Highlights:

  • India says it successfully tested Agni-5 missile from Odisha on August 20
  • Missile validated all operational and technical parameters
  • Agni-5 can carry a nuclear warhead to any part of China

INDIA on Wednesday (20) said it had successfully test-fired the Agni-5 intermediate-range ballistic missile from Odisha, with officials confirming it met all required standards.

The defence ministry said, “Intermediate range ballistic missile ‘Agni 5’ was successfully test-fired from the integrated test range, Chandipur in Odisha on August 20.”

Keep ReadingShow less
protest-uk-getty

Protesters calling for the closure of the The Bell Hotel, believed to be housing asylum seekers, gather outside the council offices in Epping, on August 8, 2025. (Photo: Getty Images)

getty images

Farage urges protests after Essex hotel ruling on asylum seekers

Highlights:

  • High Court blocks asylum seekers from being housed in Essex hotel
  • Nigel Farage calls for peaceful protests outside “migrant hotels”
  • Government considering appeal against injunction ruling
  • Debate grows over housing asylum seekers in hotels across Britain

NIGEL FARAGE has called for protests after a court ruling blocked the use of an Essex hotel to house asylum seekers.

Keep ReadingShow less
India, China to resume flights, trade ties after 2020 border clash

India's prime minister Narendra Modi shakes hand with Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi during their meeting in New Delhi, India August 19, 2025. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS

India, China to resume flights, trade ties after 2020 border clash

INDIA and China agreed to resume direct flights and step up trade and investment flows as the neighbours rebuild ties damaged by a 2020 border clash.

The Asian giants are cautiously strengthening ties against the backdrop of US president Donald Trump's unpredictable foreign policy, staging a series of high-level bilateral visits.

Keep ReadingShow less
Mumbai train services resume

Passengers being rescued after a Monorail train came to a halt between Mysore Colony and Bhakti Park stations due to apparent power failure during rainfall, in Mumbai, on Aug. 19, 2025. (PTI Photo)

PTI Photo

Relief for Mumbai as train services resume after rain havoc

INTERMITTENT showers continued overnight in Mumbai, but the intensity reduced on Wednesday (20) morning, offering much-needed relief after heavy rains battered the city the previous day.

Local train services on the Central Railway’s Harbour Line resumed early morning on Wednesday after a 15-hour disruption, easing the commute for thousands. Schools and colleges also reopened following a rain-enforced closure.

Keep ReadingShow less