Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Tata Steel union to go ahead with industrial action

Unite union will begin work to rule from June 18 and take part in a continuous overtime ban to disrupt  operations at Port Talbot and Newport Llanwern plants

Tata Steel union to go ahead with industrial action

ONE of the Tata Steel workers' unions has announced plans to proceed with industrial action at Port Talbot and Newport Llanwern plants in Wales to protest job cuts associated with the closure of old blast furnaces.

Unite said on Thursday (30) that its 1,500 workers will begin “working to rule” as well as taking part in a continuous overtime ban from June 18 to “severely disrupt and delay” the company’s operations and order book unless the company rows back on the closure.


It is calling for the Indian steel major to halt its plans until the July 4 general election, when it expects the opposition Labour party to come to power.

“Tata’s disastrous deal with the current government would only see its other overseas operations take advantage of the coming boom in green steel at the expense of South Wales,” said Unite general secretary Sharon Graham.

“Now that we will have a new government in July, Tata can no longer ignore Labour’s call to wait for the £3 billion UK Steel Investment Fund, a commitment secured by Unite,” she said.

All three unions at Tata's Port Talbot site have balloted for industrial action, but only Unite has announced the dates.

Tata Steel said it was “naturally disappointed” with the move and reiterated its concerns around the ballot procedure.

“We have written to Unite union twice during the ballot process, and again this week, to notify them of significant irregularities in the ballot process they have undertaken. We will continue to review and consider our legal next steps,” said a Tata Steel spokesperson.

It follows Tata Steel’s decision in April to proceed with the closure of two old blast furnaces as part of a £1.25-billion investment to transition to a state-of-the-art Electric Arc Furnace at its Port Talbot steelworks in Wales. This move will impact 2,800 jobs.

Since the plan was announced earlier this year, the company said it had held seven months of formal and informal discussions with the UK trade unions about the major transformation which preserves 5,000 jobs and secures future steel supplies.

It is also expected to create more indirect jobs in engineering and construction and reduce CO2 emissions by 5 million tonnes each year.

The Tata Steel spokesperson added: “While the £1.25 billion commitment with the UK government will ensure a long-term viable future for low-CO2 steelmaking in the UK, our current business is unsustainable, today reporting losses of £364 million in 2023/4 – more than £1 million a day.

“By restructuring our UK operations we will be able to sustain the business as we transition to new electric arc furnace technology. We believe we have a very exciting future ahead, providing the high quality, low-CO2 steel.”

Meanwhile, the Community union, which represents the bulk of workers at Port Talbot, has told its members that it is considering an improved redundancy offer and will inform them once negotiations are completed, BBC reports. (Agencies)

More For You

british-muslims-iStock

The study noted that this identification was not due to any doctrinal obligation but was influenced by the perception that many Muslims do not feel fully accepted as British. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Majority of British Muslims identify by faith first, study finds

A STUDY by the Institute for the Impact of Faith in Life (IIFL) has found that most British Muslims identify primarily with their religion rather than their nationality.

The research, based on a survey of 815 British Muslim adults by Whitestone Insight, revealed that 71 per cent of respondents identified as Muslim first, while 27 per cent identified as British, English, or Scottish first.

Keep ReadingShow less
Car Tax Changes: EV Owners Now Required to Pay for the First Time

Owners of electric vehicles registered on or after 1 April 2025 will pay £10 for the first year, followed by the standard VED rate of £195 from the second year. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Car tax changes take effect: EV owners to pay for first time

FROM today, 1 April 2025, electric cars, vans, and motorcycles in the UK will be subject to Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for the first time.

The change, introduced in the 2022 Autumn Statement by former Conservative Chancellor Jeremy Hunt, aims to make motoring taxation fairer.

Keep ReadingShow less
scotland-minimum-wages-iStock

Full-time workers on the National Living Wage will receive an annual pay increase of £1,400 in real terms. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Wage increase takes effect for thousands of workers in Scotland

HUNDREDS of thousands of workers in Scotland will see a pay increase as new National Living Wage and National Minimum Wage rates take effect from Tuesday.

The changes will benefit approximately 220,000 people, according to STV News.

Keep ReadingShow less
uk-energy-bill-iStock

Water bills, energy prices, and council tax are rising, while the minimum wage has also increased (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

April bill increases put financial strain on single parents

A RANGE of essential household bills are increasing from April, with Citizens Advice warning that single parents will be among the hardest hit.

Water bills, energy prices, and council tax are rising, while the minimum wage has also increased, BBC reported.

Keep ReadingShow less
Netflix drama Adolescence to be screened in UK schools
Stephen Graham and Owen Cooper in 'Adolescence'
Netflix

Netflix drama Adolescence to be screened in UK schools

THE NETFLIX drama Adolescence will be shown in UK secondary schools as part of efforts to address harmful online influences on young boys, officials announced on Monday.

The show has sparked debate over the impact of toxic and misogynistic content on the internet. Prime minister Keir Starmer met the show's creators, charities, and young people at Downing Street, calling the initiative an important step in starting discussions about the content teenagers are exposed to online.

Keep ReadingShow less