Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Rochdale council seeks even distribution of asylum seekers across UK

Council leader Neil Emmott takes exception to the shifting of about 80 migrants into hotels in the borough against the local authority's wishes.

Rochdale council seeks even distribution of asylum seekers across UK

Greater Manchester’s Rochdale borough council has urged the government to evenly distribute asylum seekers across the country to ensure that no area is overburdened.

In a letter to Home Secretary Priti Patel, council leader Neil Emmott took serious exception to the shifting of migrants into hotels in the borough against the local authority’s wishes.

According to the Local Democracy Reporting Service, the council was given little notice before some 80 asylum seekers arrived at the borough late last month.

The government has set out the Full Dispersal Plan with the legislative intention to prevent the crowding of asylum seekers in one area that would burden the local administration with the obligation to support them. It also aims at reducing the number of people living in temporary accommodation.

Emmott said in his letter to Patel: “We await the implementation of your Full Dispersal Plan and are aware that the detail of the policy is being worked through but recently, against our wishes, hotels in our area have been requisitioned to house people seeking asylum via illegal routes across the English Channel.”

“Notwithstanding the fact that we recognise the need to find accommodation for recent arrivals, we find ourselves again asking what changes have been made to the system and how other areas that have not previously taken part are contributing,” the Labour councillor wrote.

He pointed out that Rochdale supported a large number of migrants, something other local authorities had not done. He said the contrast was “frustrating”.

“As I’m sure you are also aware, this frustration is also being felt by our local communities who are well aware that this situation is not being replicated evenly across the country,” Emmott wrote and warned that the position was “not sustainable”.

He urged the government to expedite the implementation of the Full Dispersal Plan to ensure that “asylum seekers are distributed in a way that does not threaten to undermine public services and public support for the entire programme”.

Emmott made it clear that the dispersal policy should be backed by funding to local authorities to “mitigate pressures on local services.”

The Home Office said all local authority areas were expected to participate in Full Dispersal as the government was dealing with an “unprecedented increase in asylum cases”.

More For You

Catherine West to 'challenge Starmer for Labour leadership'

Prime Minister Keir Starmer speaks to media as he reacts to the local Council Election results at AFC Wimbledon on May 9, 2026 in London, England.

(Photo by Alishia Abodunde/Getty Images)

Catherine West to 'challenge Starmer for Labour leadership'

Highlights

  • Starmer says he will lead Labour into the next general election and serve a full second term
  • Catherine West, a former junior minister, says she has ten MPs behind her but hopes a stronger candidate will emerge
  • Labour suffered its worst local election losses by a governing party since 1995
  • More than 20 MPs have publicly or privately called on Starmer to quit

PRIME MINISTER Sir Keir Starmer is facing a direct challenge to his leadership after a former minister threatened to stand against him on Monday (11) unless his cabinet moves to replace him — but he has vowed to fight on, insisting his government is a "ten-year project".

Keep ReadingShow less