Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Rehan Ahmed may become England’s youngest Test player

The leg-spinner made his County Championship debut for Leicestershire in May and played just three first class matches

Rehan Ahmed may become England’s youngest Test player

Leg-spinner Rehan Ahmed will become England's youngest men's Test cricketer if becomes part of the team’s playing XI against Pakistan in December.

Ahmed, who has been added to the England squad for the three-Test series beginning on December 1, is aged 18 years and 103 days.

If he gets the cap for any of the Test matches to be played in Rawalpindi, Multan or Karachi, he will surpass the record held by the late Brian Close, who was 18 years and 149 days old when he made his debut for England against New Zealand in 1949.

Ahmed, son of the Pakistan-born fast-bowling all-rounder Naeem, has been training with the second-string England Lions in the United Arab Emirates during the past three weeks.

Ahmed's rise is all the more significant as he has played only three first-class matches, having made his County Championship debut for Leicestershire against Worcestershire in May this year.

With a mere nine first-class wickets to his credit, he will now tour Pakistan where pitches generally favour slow bowlers.

The announcement of his inclusion in the Test squad came just after he had just finished playing for the Lions against the senior England XI on the opening day of a warm-up match in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday (23).

He bowled eight overs and conceded 73 runs without taking any wickets.

However, England’s red-ball coach Brendon McCullum said both he and Test captain Ben Stokes had been impressed by Ahmed's approach to the game.

"We know he's not the finished article and has raw potential, but Ben, myself and the rest of the coaches like how he approaches his game," McCullum said in a statement released by the England and Wales Cricket Board.

"The experience of being part of the squad in Pakistan will be hugely beneficial for him, and he will add to the make-up of our squad," the former New Zealand player said.

The England squad will leave for Pakistan on Saturday.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

UK Farmers

Farmers are bringing in crops early as prolonged drought puts yields and water supplies under pressure

iStock

Britain puts £65m behind farmers as drought starts threatening the country’s food supply

  • Farmers in England will receive an additional £65m in support.
  • £15m will help fund on-farm reservoirs for future dry periods.
  • Britain is facing its third drought in five years.

Britain is putting £65 million into emergency support for farmers as the country's prolonged drought begins to threaten not just agricultural incomes but the reliability of its food supply.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham announced the package on August 15, after England and Wales recorded their driest July on record. The support will go towards sustainable farming, new on-farm reservoirs and making it easier for farmers to access water during periods of shortage.

Keep ReadingShow less