Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Sadiq Khan is averse to Premier League resumption as 'country still in the grips of crisis'

SADIQ KHAN is opposed to the idea of the Premier League resuming in the capital next month while the Covid-19 pandemic continues to cause hundreds of deaths in the UK each day, a spokesperson for the London mayor's office has said.

The possibility of a restart next month was given a boost when the government said elite sport could return behind closed doors after June 1.


"Sadiq is extremely keen for the Premier League and professional sport in general to resume," the spokesperson told the Evening Standard.

"However, with the country still in the grips of this crisis, and hundreds of people dying every day, he believes that it is too early to be discussing the resumption of the Premier League and top-flight sport in the capital."

Five Premier League clubs are based in London -- including Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur.

"As a Liverpool fan, Sadiq of course wants the Premier League to return," the spokesperson added. "But it can only happen when it is safe to do so, and it cannot place any extra burden on the NHS and emergency services."

Liverpool lead the league with nine rounds remaining and need only six points to seal the title.

An official protocol sent to Premier League players and managers outlining conditions for returning to training said pitches, corner flags, cones and goal posts would have to be disinfected after each session.

Players will be tested twice per week for the virus and take a daily temperature check, while they will also be forbidden from congregating together or travelling to or from training with team mates.

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor said it was crucial that every safety precaution had been taken for the players.

"The players don't want to be seen as guinea pigs and that will apply to everyone in professional sport," Taylor told Sky Sports.

"It's about getting the balance of safety and also trying to get back to normality as much as possible.... We need to give everyone confidence that every single safety measure has been taken on their behalf."

The UK is the worst-affected country in Europe with over 32,000 officially reported deaths due to the new coronavirus while there are more than 223,000 confirmed cases.

More For You

 ISKCON's UK birthplace

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace

iskconnews

ISKCON reclaims historic London birthplace for £1.6 million after 56 years

Highlights

  • ISKCON London acquires 7 Bury Place, its first UK temple site opened in 1969, for £1.6 million at auction.
  • Five-storey building near British Museum co-signed by Beatle George Harrison who helped fund original lease.
  • Site to be transformed into pilgrimage centre commemorating ISKCON's pioneering work in the UK.
ISKCON London has successfully reacquired 7 Bury Place, the original site of its first UK temple, at auction for £1.6 m marking what leaders call a "full-circle moment" for the Krishna consciousness movement in Britain.

The 221 square metre freehold five-storey building near the British Museum, currently let to a dental practice, offices and a therapist, was purchased using ISKCON funds and supporter donations. The organisation had been searching for properties during its expansion when the historically significant site became available.

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace. In 1968, founder A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada sent three American couples to establish a base in England. The six devotees initially struggled in London's cold, using a Covent Garden warehouse as a temporary temple.

Keep ReadingShow less