Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Harry Brook banned from IPL for two years

He was signed to Delhi Capitals for this year's IPL season

Harry Brook banned from IPL for two years

Harry Brook (Photo: Getty Images)

ENGLAND batsman Harry Brook has been banned from the Indian Premier League for two years after he pulled out at the last minute to focus on international cricket, local media reported.

The 26-year-old, considered a frontrunner to replace Jos Buttler as England's white-ball captain, was signed to Delhi Capitals for the IPL season beginning next week.


Brook also withdrew from his contract with the Delhi side last season after the death of his grandmother.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has been informed about Brooks's ban, an unnamed official from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) told the Indian Express newspaper.

The ban was part of a policy "informed to each player before they registered their name for IPL auction last year", the official said.

The rules are designed to prevent late pullouts from the money-spinning T20 league by overseas players. Exceptions can be made, mostly for injuries.

Brook this week apologised on social media "unreservedly to the Delhi Capitals and their supporters" for pulling out of the league "to recharge" and focus on international cricket.

Brook has played one season in the IPL, for Sunrisers Hyderabad in 2023, when he scored a 55-ball century against Kolkata Knight Riders.

The 2025 IPL begins on March 22 when defending champions Kolkata host Royal Challengers Bengaluru at Eden Gardens.

(AFP)

More For You

Indian football

If suspended, India’s national teams and clubs would not be allowed to compete in international competitions. (Photo: Getty Images)

India risks FIFA ban again as AIFF constitution deadline looms

INDIA could face a ban from world football for the second time in three years after FIFA and the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) warned the All India Football Federation (AIFF) to adopt a new constitution by October 30.

FIFA and the AFC sent a joint letter to AIFF president Kalyan Chaubey, expressing concern over the delay in finalising and adopting the constitution.

Keep ReadingShow less
Dream11-BCCI-Getty

Dream11 originally signed the three-year agreement in July 2023, taking over as jersey sponsor in a deal worth £31m. T

getty images

Dream11 pulls out as Indian cricket sponsor after gambling ban

INDIAN cricket faces a scramble to find a new main sponsor after Dream11 pulled out of its three-year partnership worth £33 million ($43.6m) following the government's sweeping ban on online gambling platforms.

Representatives from Dream11, India's biggest fantasy sports platform, visited the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) headquarters on Monday (25) to inform chief executive Hemang Amin they could no longer continue the sponsorship deal. The company's logo currently appears on jerseys worn by both the men's and women's national teams.

Keep ReadingShow less
Lamine Yamal Nicki Nicole romance

Lamine Yamal poses with Nicki Nicole in a heart-filled setting shared on Instagram

Lamine Yamal confirms Nicki Nicole romance after backlash over wild birthday party and nightclub rumours

Highlights:

  • Barcelona teenager Lamine Yamal confirms romance with Argentine singer Nicki Nicole
  • The couple shared a romantic photo on Instagram with heart-themed décor
  • Yamal’s love life had drawn controversy after nightclub rumours and a birthday party scandal
  • Fans now turn focus to his football career as new season begins

Barcelona star Lamine Yamal has confirmed his relationship with Argentine singer Nicki Nicole, settling weeks of speculation around his personal life. The 17-year-old, who made headlines this summer for his off-pitch controversies, posted a romantic picture with the Latin music star, using a heart emoji to signal the nature of their bond. The move shifts attention from gossip about his dating life to a more settled chapter as Barcelona’s season gets underway.

Lamine Yamal Nicki Nicole romance Lamine Yamal poses with Nicki Nicole in a heart-filled setting shared on Instagram X/@MrGafan

Keep ReadingShow less
Afghanistan

Afghanistan, who have not played a T20 international in 2025, will face Pakistan in the opening match of the tri-series on Friday. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Asia Cup: Rashid Khan to lead spin-heavy Afghanistan; Mehidy left out of Bangladesh squad

AFGHANISTAN on Sunday named a spin-heavy squad led by Rashid Khan for the upcoming T20 tri-series in Sharjah and the Asia Cup in the United Arab Emirates.

The squad includes spinners Noor Ahmad, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, AM Ghazanfar and Mohammad Nabi alongside captain Rashid Khan.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pujara-Tests-Getty

Pujara made his Test debut in 2010 and went on to score 7,195 runs in the format at an average of 43.60. (Photo: Getty Images)

Cheteshwar Pujara announces retirement after 103 Tests

CHETESHWAR PUJARA on Sunday (August 24) announced his retirement from all forms of Indian cricket, bringing to a close an international career that lasted more than a decade.

Pujara played 103 Test matches and five One Day Internationals for India. His last appearance came in the World Test Championship final against Australia in 2023.

Keep ReadingShow less