Actors-political personalities Kamal Haasan and Hema Malini, as well as Hindi film stars Kareena Kapoor Khan and Madhuri Dixit-Nene on Monday mourned the loss of legendary Kathak exponent Birju Maharaj, calling his passing away the “end of an era” for Indian classical dance.
Maharajji, as he was popularly known, died at his home in New Delhi in the early hours of Monday. He would have been 84 next month.
According to his granddaughter, Ragini Maharaj, the Kathak maestro died surrounded by his family and disciples. They were playing ‘antakshari' after dinner when he suddenly fell ill. The Kathak exponent had been suffering from a kidney ailment and was under dialysis treatment. He probably died of a cardiac arrest, his granddaughter said.
Dixit-Nene, who trained under Birju Maharaj and most memorably performed Devdas (2002) song 'Kaahe chhede mohe' under his guidance, shared a picture of the duo on Instagram and wrote, "There never was anyone like you guruji and there will never be".
The actor described him as a legend with a "child-like innocence". "He was my guru but also my friend. He taught me the intricacies of dance and 'Abhinay' but never failed to make me laugh at his funny anecdotes. He has left behind grieving fans and students but also left a legacy we will all carry forward. Thank you Maharajji for everything you taught me in dance along with humility, elegance, and grace," she wrote.
Birju Maharaj, one of India's most loved and well-known artistes, was instrumental in taking the traditional Indian dance form to the world. Haasan, who trained under him for the song 'Unnai Kanadhu' from his 2013 spy thriller Vishwaroopam, remembered him as an "unparalleled dancer".
The Kathak legend was honoured with the National Film Award for best choreography for the song. In her post on Instagram, actor Shilpa Shetty Kundra paid tributes to the maestro's "illustrious legacy". "Padma Vibhushan Pandit Birju Maharajji's passing is a tremendous loss to the world of performing arts. May Panditji's family & followers find peace and strength to cope with this huge loss," she wrote.
Kapoor Khan shared the news of Birju Maharaj's passing away, writing, "Rest in Peace". Actor Anushka Sharma also shared a photograph of the legend on her Instagram Story, with the folded hands and heartbreak emoticon.
Alia Bhatt took to Instagram and recalled how she had trained under Birju Maharaj for the song 'Ghar More Pardesiya' from the 2019 drama Kalank and called it one of her most creatively satisfying experiences.
"Had the honour and privilege of spending three full days with Pandit Birju Maharaj in 2018 while I was prepping for Ghar More Pardesiya. I will never forget all that he has taught me. It was possibly one of the most creative and fulfilling experiences that I have ever had. A legend who has inspired several and will always continue to do so through his art. Truly breaks my heart to write this post today. May his soul rest in peace," Bhatt wrote.
Actor Swara Bhasker tweeted that with the death of Birju Maharaj, the sun has set on the world of classical arts. "Will always cherish the blessing of having seen Maharajji live on stage, heard his lec dems, seen that magic up close. Sat-sat naman to this legend. Deepest condolences to BirjuMaharajji's family, fraternity & students. A Sun has set in the world of classical arts," she wrote.
Among the newer actors, Janhvi Kapoor and Ananya Panday remembered Birju Maharaj. While Janhvi Kapoor shared a picture with Birju Maharaj writing "a legend", Panday uploaded his picture on her Instagram story with a heart emoticon.
Filmmakers Sudhir Mishra, Anil Sharma, and Hansal Mehta also paid tributes to the veteran. Anil Sharma, who worked with Birju Maharaj for his blockbuster partition drama Gadar: Ek Prem Katha, recalled how the maestro was thrilled to choreograph a thumri in the 2001 film titled "Chanda Aaye Taare Aaye".
Sharma told PTI that he was eager to collaborate with the veteran again on Gadar 2 but it will now "remain just a dream". "He had exceptional artistry and a vision to pull it off. When I went to meet him for the first time in Delhi, he was so excited. He heard the entire story of the film and when he liked it, he then heard the song. He would rarely work in films but he was thrilled to choreograph for us."
Mishra said the veteran was deservedly called "great" as his mastery was unparalleled. "The word great is very loosely thrown around. He truly was a great artiste. In his art form, he was as good as anyone in the world. Kathak has lost its finest exponent. Om Shanti," the filmmaker tweeted. Mehta took to Twitter and hailed Pandit Birju Maharaj as "one of Kathak's greatest ambassadors". Singer Anup Jalota said Birju Maharaj has left a void that no other artiste can ever fill. "This is a huge loss to the nation. With him passing away, the league of stars has ended. He took away a lot with him. No one can fill the void he has left behind. He came here like an angel from heaven, made us all feel like heaven on earth with his art, and went back to where he belonged," he said.
Birju Maharaj is survived by five children, three daughters and two sons, and five grandchildren.
BOLLYWOOD filmmaker Aditya Chopra was last Thursday (21) named among the nominees of the UK Stage Debut Awards for his Come Fall in Love – The DDLJ Musical, performed at Manchester’s Opera House earlier this year.
Chopra delivered a blockbuster in 1995 with Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, popular as DDLJ, with Kajol and Shah Rukh Khan in the lead roles. It was adapted to a theatrical production and had its UK premiere in May.
Chopra reprised his role as director of the English stage production, which revolves around the love story of Simran and Roger.
Shah Rukh Khan visits the cast of Come Fall in Love The DDLJ Musical during rehearsals in London Danny Kaan
“This year’s nominees embody the future of British theatre, and I can’t wait to celebrate their achievements,” said Alistair Smith, editor of The Stage theatrical publication.
“This year there are several individuals with south Asian heritage being recognised for their excellence in directing: among the nominees is Amit Sharma for Ryan Calais Cameron’s Retrograde (in the Best Creative West End Debut category),” said the awards panel in a statement.
Also nominated are Adam Karim for Guards at the Taj at the Orange Tree Theatre, London, and visionary Indian filmmaker Aditya Chopra for Come Fall In Love at Manchester’s Opera House, who are both in the running for the best director category, the statement added.
By clicking the 'Subscribe’, you agree to receive our newsletter, marketing communications and industry
partners/sponsors sharing promotional product information via email and print communication from Garavi Gujarat
Publications Ltd and subsidiaries. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the
unsubscribe link in our emails. We will use your email address to personalize our communications and send you
relevant offers. Your data will be stored up to 30 days after unsubscribing.
Contact us at data@amg.biz to see how we manage and store your data.
John Alford, 53, is accused of sexually abusing two girls aged 14 and 15 at a Hertfordshire party in 2022.
Charges include sexual activity with a child, sexual assault and assault by penetration.
Prosecutors allege both girls were drunk when the incidents occurred.
Alford, whose real name is John Shannon, denies all allegations.
The trial is taking place at St Albans Crown Court.
Former London’s Burning actor John Alford is on trial accused of sexually abusing two teenage girls at a house party in Hertfordshire on 9 April 2022.
The 53-year-old, from Holloway, north London, faces four counts of sexual activity with a 14-year-old and two charges involving a 15-year-old girl, including sexual assault and assault by penetration. He has denied all the charges.
Opening the case at St Albans Crown Court, prosecutor Julie Whitby told jurors that Alford, charged under his real name John Shannon, was “in no doubt” both girls were under 16.
Jurors heard that Alford and another man, the father of a third girl, arrived at the house in the early hours of the morning. Alford later returned from a petrol station with a bottle of vodka.
The prosecution said he asked the 14-year-old to sit on his lap, behaviour she described as “a bit strange”, before the alleged assaults took place in the garden and later in a toilet.
In a police interview played to the court, the girl said: “He raped me”, claiming she asked him to stop several times. She also told officers it was the first time she had had sex.
A 15-year-old girl also accused Alford of sexual assault. The court heard that both alleged victims had consumed “a fair amount of vodka” on the night in question and did not immediately disclose the incidents.
The matter came to light after the 15-year-old’s mother made a report to police two days later.
In a statement given to police, Alford denied the allegations, claiming one of the girls had told him she was 17 and had tried to kiss him. He insisted: “At no point did I touch her in any sexual way whatsoever.”
He also alleged that the two girls were attempting to extort money from him, but prosecutors said no evidence to support this claim was found on phones seized from either the complainants or the defendant.
The case continues at St Albans Crown Court, where jurors will hear further evidence in the coming days.
Keep ReadingShow less
Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone have been listed in the complaint as brand ambassadors of Hyundai
An FIR has been registered in Bharatpur against Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone and Hyundai officials.
A local resident alleges his Hyundai Alcazar SUV, bought in 2022, developed major defects.
The case includes fraud and conspiracy charges under IPC and Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita.
Both actors, Hyundai brand ambassadors, are accused of misleading consumers.
Neither Shah Rukh Khan nor Deepika Padukone’s teams have responded yet.
Legal case filed in Bharatpur
Bollywood actors Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone are facing legal trouble after an FIR was filed against them in Bharatpur, Rajasthan. The complaint, registered on 25 August at Mathura Gate police station, also names six Hyundai officials.
The case stems from allegations made by Kirti Singh, a Bharatpur resident, who claimed his Hyundai Alcazar SUV, purchased in 2022 for more than ₹23 lakh, developed serious technical issues within months. He further alleged that repeated attempts to get the company to address the problems were unsuccessful.
Court intervention leads to FIR
Singh initially approached police but his grievance was not registered. He then moved the court, which directed police to take action. Following this, an FIR was lodged under sections 420 (cheating), 406 (criminal breach of trust) and 120B (criminal conspiracy) of the Indian Penal Code, along with provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita.
The named Hyundai officials include Managing Director Anso Kim, COO Tarun Garg, Malwa Auto Sales Pvt Ltd Managing Director Nitin Sharma and Director Priyanka Sharma.
Brand ambassadors named in complaint
In addition to Hyundai executives, Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone have been listed in the complaint as brand ambassadors of Hyundai. The petitioner argued that by endorsing the brand, the actors promoted a defective product and misled consumers.
As of now, neither Khan nor Padukone’s representatives have issued a statement regarding the FIR.
Upcoming projects for the actors
Away from the controversy, both stars have busy film schedules. Shah Rukh Khan will next appear in King alongside his daughter Suhana Khan, directed by Siddharth Anand. The film reportedly features a large ensemble cast including Jackie Shroff, Anil Kapoor, Rani Mukerji and Deepika Padukone.
Padukone was most recently seen in Rohit Shetty’s Singham Again. She will next star in Atlee’s sci-fi action project AA22xA6, alongside Allu Arjun.
Keep ReadingShow less
Swift’s choice of So High School—widely believed to be inspired by Kelce—added a personal touch
Taylor Swift announced engagement to American footballer Travis Kelce via Instagram.
Kelce proposed in Lee’s Summit, Missouri, surrounded by floral displays.
Swift showcased a cushion-cut diamond ring from Artifex Fine Jewellery.
Fans and celebrities, including the Prince and Princess of Wales, reacted with excitement.
Taylor Swift confirms engagement with Instagram Post
Taylor Swift has announced her engagement to American football player Travis Kelce, sharing the news on Instagram with a carousel of images and the caption: “Your English teacher and your gym teacher are getting married.” The post, accompanied by her ballad So High School, quickly went viral, gaining more than 18 million likes within hours.
The photos show Kelce on one knee, Swift wearing a Ralph Lauren halter-neck dress and a Cartier watch, and the singer flashing her cushion-cut diamond engagement ring. According to reports, the ring was purchased from Artifex Fine Jewellery, with prices beginning at around $29,000 (£21,500).
A garden proposal in Missouri
Kelce’s father, Ed, revealed to ABC’s News 5 Cleveland that the proposal had taken place nearly two weeks earlier in Lee’s Summit, Missouri. He explained that his son arranged a private moment in a garden before dinner, where he asked Swift to marry him.
The setting featured roses, hydrangeas, delphiniums and anemones, styled to evoke a “hidden secret garden” according to celebrity florist Jeff Leatham.
A nod to fans through music and captions
Swift’s choice of So High School—widely believed to be inspired by Kelce—added a personal touch. Fans noted that the caption itself echoed an inside joke from the Swiftie community, where the couple have been affectionately likened to an English teacher and a gym teacher.
Dr Iona Murphy, an English literature lecturer and Swift fan, described the post as a “full-circle moment”, noting the lyrical reference and nod to fandom culture.
Global reaction from fans and public figures
Fans around the world reacted with delight, sharing videos of themselves screaming, crying, or celebrating in disbelief. Many described Swift’s announcement as a “pop emergency”, with some joking that they were celebrating their “close friend’s” engagement.
Public figures also joined in: the Prince and Princess of Wales liked the post, while US President Donald Trump wished the couple well despite past criticism of Swift. Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay playfully congratulated the pair on Instagram, writing, “From one ring to the next… congrats @killatrav & @taylorswift !”
Swift’s love life has long fascinated both fans and the media, often reflected in her music. This engagement feels different, according to fans, because Kelce is seen as a partner who embraces her success rather than being intimidated by it.
One fan account holder told the BBC: “We’ve seen a lot of boyfriends over the years, some we liked and some we didn’t. Travis loves her proudly, and that’s what makes fans so happy.”
Keep ReadingShow less
Lilly Singh reveals she’s been diagnosed with ovarian cysts
NETFLIX has expanded its cast for Best of the Best, a coming-of-age film set around competitive Bollywood dancing, with comedian Lilly Singh joining in.
Hasan Minhaj and Prashanth Venkataramanujam have penned the story, about what happens when two childhood friends join the Bollywood dance team at their college. Minhaj will also act.
Never Have I Ever star Maitreyi Ramakrishnan, Priyanka Kedia, Ankur Rathee, who acted in Four More Shots Please and Chaneil Kular from the streamer’s original Sex Education are in the movie along with Shreya Navile, Becky Alex, Janina Gavankar, Nihar Duvvuri, Nico Greetham, Saara Chaudry, Amryn Khurana, Tanishq Joshi and Sasha Bhasin.
The film will be directed by Lena Khan, who has previously worked as a director on Never Have I Ever.
It will be produced by Minhaj and Venkataramanujam under 186k films.