Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Wimbledon cancelled due to coronavirus: organisers

Wimbledon chiefs on Wednesday (1) cancelled the Grand Slam tournament for the first time since World War II as the coronavirus wreaks further havoc on the global sporting calendar.

"It is with great regret that the main board of the All England Club (AELTC) and the committee of management of the Championships have today decided that The Championships 2020 will be cancelled due to public health concerns linked to the coronavirus epidemic," the organisers said in a statement.


The cancellation of the only grasscourt Grand Slam tournament leaves the tennis season in disarray.

All England Club chairman Ian Hewitt said the decision had not been taken lightly.

"It has weighed heavily on our minds that the staging of The Championships has only been interrupted previously by world wars but, following thorough and extensive consideration of all scenarios, we believe that it is a measure of this global crisis that it is ultimately the right decision to cancel this year's Championships."

The decision also prompted the ATP and WTA to cancel the grasscourt swing in the build-up to Wimbledon meaning the tennis season will not now recommence until July 13 at the earliest.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Weekly insulin jab

A weekly insulin jab could reduce the burden of daily injections for some people with type 2 diabetes

iStock

From 365 injections to 52: New weekly insulin jab could make life easier for patients

  • The treatment could reduce insulin injections from 365 a year to just 52.
  • NICE has recommended the weekly treatment, but it still needs MHRA approval.
  • People who rely on carers or struggle with daily injections could benefit most.

For some people with type 2 diabetes, managing their condition could soon involve one insulin injection a week instead of one every day.

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) has recommended insulin efsitora alfa, also known as Onswik and made by Eli Lilly, in its final draft guidance. If approved by the medicines regulator and subsequently rolled out on the NHS, the treatment could reduce the number of annual insulin injections from 365 to 52.

Keep ReadingShow less