Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

UK looks at Covid booster shot options, says minister Zahawi

UK looks at Covid booster shot options, says minister Zahawi

BRITISH officials are currently looking at which Covid-19 vaccines would offer the best booster shot for vulnerable people later this year and no decisions have been taken yet, vaccines minister Nadhim Zahawi said on Wednesday (5).

Britain is quickly rolling out vaccines and has been the second quickest country in the world to give a first Covid-19 shot to at least half its adult population.


The government is already assessing the possible need for a third Covid-19 vaccine dose for the elderly and vulnerable, to be given in the autumn, after all adults are given their initial two-shot regime.

"The clinicians haven't yet made their decision when they will need to boost, whether to give more immunity to the most vulnerable, to increase the durability of the protection, or to deal with a variant," Zahawi told Sky News.

Asked by the BBC about a Times newspaper report that over-50s would be targeted with the booster shots, Zahawi reiterated that no decisions had been taken.

Last week a Public Health England official said that any booster programme would be led by the need to protect against variants, as high levels of protection offered by the current shots looked unlikely to wane quickly.

In order to boost research into vaccines against new variants, Britain said it would invest a further £30 million ($41.67m) into laboratory facilities at Porton Down.

When completed, the labs will be able to test 3,000 blood samples a week for antibodies generated by vaccines.

Previously the government had committed £20m to increase capacity to 1,500 weekly samples from 700 by January 2022.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

UK Farmers

Farmers are bringing in crops early as prolonged drought puts yields and water supplies under pressure

iStock

Britain puts £65m behind farmers as drought starts threatening the country’s food supply

  • Farmers in England will receive an additional £65m in support.
  • £15m will help fund on-farm reservoirs for future dry periods.
  • Britain is facing its third drought in five years.

Britain is putting £65 million into emergency support for farmers as the country's prolonged drought begins to threaten not just agricultural incomes but the reliability of its food supply.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham announced the package on August 15, after England and Wales recorded their driest July on record. The support will go towards sustainable farming, new on-farm reservoirs and making it easier for farmers to access water during periods of shortage.

Keep ReadingShow less