Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Two dead in Bangalore violence over anti-Islam Facebook post

Two people died after a "derogatory" Facebook post about the Prophet Mohammed sparked riots in India's IT hub Bangalore that saw clashes between police and thousands of protesters, authorities said on Wednesday.

At least 60 officers were injured the previous evening as a furious crowd attacked a police station, set vehicles on fire and burnt down the house of a local lawmaker whose nephew was allegedly responsible for the social media post.


Local media images showed protesters trying to barge into the police building and shouting slogans outside the politician's home.

Police opened fire with live ammunition and tear-gassed the violent crowds. Three people were critically wounded during Tuesday's violence and at least one reporter was injured, police told AFP.

Media reports said the two people killed in the incident had died of gunshot wounds.

Bangalore police commissioner Kamal Pant wrote on Twitter that the lawmaker's nephew had been arrested for the post, along with about 100 others for rioting and arson, and the situation was now under control.

A ban on gatherings was in effect in some areas of the city on Wednesday, with nearly 10,000 police reservists patrolling the streets to keep order.

Bangalore is known as the Silicon Valley of India and is home to a sizeable Muslim community among its eight million people.

India is officially a secular country but has been plagued by a long history of violence between its Hindu majority and Muslim minority.

More than 50 people were killed during religious riots in the capital New Delhi earlier this year, with most of the victims Muslims.

More For You

Streeting

Streeting said he wanted all possible candidates to have the opportunity to take part, including Andy Burnham.

Getty Images

Wes Streeting enters race to challenge Keir Starmer

Highlights

  • Streeting says he will stand in any Labour leadership contest
  • Former health secretary calls for “a proper contest” after resigning
  • Andy Burnham preparing return to parliament through by-election
  • Starmer rejects calls to step down after Labour election losses

FORMER health secretary Wes Streeting said on Saturday that he would stand in any leadership contest to replace prime minister Keir Starmer, days after resigning from the government and urging Starmer to set a timetable for his departure.

Keep ReadingShow less