Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Tendulkar among former stars wanting India to take part in Champions Trophy

A host of former Indian players, including Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid, are in favour of the country taking part in the Champions Trophy to be held in the UK next month, according to a report.

A report in Espncricinfo said that Tendulkar and Dravid were among a group of 12 former cricketers who want India to play the upcoming Champions Trophy.


The website said that Tendulkar, Dravid, Zaheer Khan, Gundappa Viswanath, Sandeep Patil, Sanjay Manjrekar, Aakash Chopra, Ajit Agarkar, Venkatesh Prasad, Saba Karim, Murali Kartik and Deep Dasgupta were "unanimous" that India should attempt to defend the Champions Trophy title they won in 2013.

The BCCI is seriously mulling a pullout from the Champions Trophy despite the Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators making it clear that such a decision could not be taken without its consent.

The Board is likely to take a decision in this regard at its special general body meeting on May 7 in New Delhi.

The doubt over India's participation in the Champions Trophy arose after the BCCI deliberately missed the April 25 deadline for submission of the squad in the wake of ICC proposing a new financial model, which reduces the Indian Board's revenues from $570 million to $293 million.

More For You

Asda sales plunge, chair blames government of low confidence

The supermarket struggled with technology issues during a lengthy effort to separate IT systems from former owner Walmart.

iStock

Asda reports sharp sales fall, chair blames government for 'killing consumer confidence'

Highlights

  • Asda sales fall 3.8 per cent to £5.1 bn in three months to September, with comparable store sales down 2.8 per cent.
  • Chair Allan Leighton blames IT system problems from separating technology from former owner Walmart.
  • Leighton criticises government for hampering business investment and depressing consumer sentiment.
Asda has reported a sharp sales decline while criticising the government for "killing confidence" among consumers, though its chair admitted "self-inflicted" technology problems had set back turnaround plans by six months.

Total sales at Britain's third-largest supermarket fell 3.8 per cent to £5.1 bn in the three months ending September compared with the same period last year, reversing 0.2 per cent growth from the previous quarter. Comparable store sales dropped 2.8 per cent.

Chair Allan Leighton, who returned last year to revive the business for a second time, told the guardian that the fall in sales and market share was "totally self-inflicted." The supermarket struggled with technology issues during a lengthy effort to separate IT systems from former owner Walmart.

Keep ReadingShow less