Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Pakistan to request the British government to deport Nawaz Sharif

PAKISTAN will request the British government to deport former prime minister Nawaz Sharif as he is an "absconder".

"The government has decided in principle to write a letter this week to the British government, seeking deportation of PML-N supreme leader Nawaz Sharif, as he is an absconder not fulfilling the terms and conditions of the bail granted to him on medical grounds," Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Information Firdous Ashiq Awan said.


She said Sharif had gone to London on November 19, 2019, for his treatment but was yet to be admitted to a hospital there, indicating that "it was a fixed match played by him, his party and a section of the media on his health", paving the way for his departure to London.

Awan claimed that Sharif and his younger brother Shahbaz had gone to London to protect the businesses of their children.

"Nawaz faked his health condition," she alleged.

However, the PML-N secretary general Ahsan Iqbal said the three-time premier will challenge the government's decision not to give him extension in his stay abroad in the court shortly.

The PML-N Punjab information secretary Azma Bokhari said that if Pakistan wrote to the British government for Sharif's deportation, the PML-N would also write to the US government seeking opening of a case against Prime Minister Imran Khan regarding his ("illegitimate") child.

Last week, the Punjab government had refused to extend Sharif's bail, declaring that it had found no "legal, moral or medical ground" necessitating an extension in his stay abroad.

The Lahore High Court had, in October last year, granted bail to Sharif on medical grounds for four weeks, allowing the Punjab government to extend it further in the light of his medical reports.

The Islamabad High Court had also granted bail to Sharif in the Al Azizia Mills corruption case, in which the former prime minister was serving a seven-year jail term, clearing his way to travel abroad for medical treatment.

More For You

Farage outlines plan for ‘mass deportation’ of asylum seekers

NIGEL FARAGE has set out plans for "mass deportations" of migrants who cross the English Channel on small boats if his Reform UK party comes to power.

Speaking to The Times on Saturday (August 23), the former Brexit campaigner said he would withdraw Britain from the European Convention on Human Rights and make agreements with Afghanistan, Eritrea and other main countries of origin to repatriate illegal migrants.

Keep ReadingShow less
Indians among victims as tourist bus overturns near New York

Police confirmed that many of the passengers were foreign nationals, including citizens of India, China, the Philippines

Indians among victims as tourist bus overturns near New York

A TOURIST bus travelling from Niagara Falls to New York city overturned on a highway near Buffalo on Friday (22), killing five people and injuring dozens of others. Police confirmed that many of the passengers were foreign nationals, including citizens of India, China, the Philippines and Middle Eastern countries.

The crash took place at about 12.30pm local time on the New York state Thruway near the town of Pembroke, around 40 kilometres east of Buffalo. The bus, which was carrying 54 passengers, rolled into a ditch after the driver lost control.

Keep ReadingShow less
Ciara Watkin sexual assault case

Ciara Watkin did not disclose her gender status

Instagram/ Terry Blackburn

UK trans woman Ciara Watkin guilty of sexual assault after failing to reveal transgender status

Highlights:

  • A 21-year-old transgender woman has been convicted of sexual assault in northeast England.
  • Ciara Watkin did not disclose her gender status before engaging in sexual activity with a male partner.
  • The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the man could not give informed consent.
  • Watkin was found guilty on three charges at Teesside Crown Court.
  • Sentencing is scheduled for 10 October.

A transgender woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a male partner after failing to disclose her gender status before sexual activity. Prosecutors argued that the man could not give informed consent, and the case has been described as having a significant impact on his mental wellbeing.

The case

Ciara Watkin, 21, from Stockton-on-Tees, met the man, also 21, on Snapchat in June 2022. She later engaged in sexual activity with him without revealing her gender status. During their first encounter, she told him she was on her period and could not be touched below the waist.

Keep ReadingShow less
Niagara Falls

Authorities said most of the 52 passengers were from India, China and the Philippines

Getty Images

Horror crash near Niagara Falls leaves 5 dead, dozens injured

Highlights:

  • A tourist bus returning from Niagara Falls overturned on a motorway in western New York.
  • Five people died and dozens were injured; passengers were mainly from India, China and the Philippines.
  • Authorities ruled out mechanical failure and driver impairment as causes.
  • Survivors included children, with patients taken to multiple hospitals.
  • Emergency blood donations and family support centres have been set up.

Five people have been killed after a tourist bus carrying passengers from Niagara Falls overturned on a motorway in western New York. Authorities said most of the 52 passengers were from India, China and the Philippines, with several children among them.

The crash

The vehicle lost control around 40 miles (64km) from Niagara Falls, near Pembroke, 30 miles (48km) east of Buffalo. Police said the bus veered into the median before landing in a ditch. Some passengers were thrown from the vehicle while others were trapped inside the wreckage for several hours.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump names close aide Sergio Gor as ambassador to India

Sergio Gor. (Photo by Paul Morigi/Getty Images)

Trump names close aide Sergio Gor as ambassador to India

US president Donald Trump said on Friday (22) he would nominate Sergio Gor, one of his closest aides, to be the next US ambassador to India, where he will oversee frosty relations that have worsened with the planned doubling of US tariffs on goods from India next week.

Gor, who is currently the director of the White House Presidential Personnel Office, would also serve as a special envoy for South and Central Asian affairs, Trump said.

Keep ReadingShow less