Aspiring to win another Olympic medal, Rio Games bronze medallist Sakshi Malik today (23) said wrestling for her was like offering a prayer.
Sakshi became the first female wrestler from India to bag an Olympic medal at the Rio Games last year.
"I want to become the first woman wrestler to win Olympic medal twice," Sakshi said on the sidelines of an event on the International World Wrestling Day.
"For me wrestling is like a 'puja'. I am what I am today because of the sport, which has taught me that there are no shortcuts to success," the 24-year-old wrestler said.
Datsun redi-GO Sport brand ambassador Sakshi, who today launched Datsun Care -- a new service package plan for new redi-GO owners, said she was gearing up for the World Championship, to be held in Paris in August.
"It (training) is ongoing. I will try to improve further because you never stop learning."
Sakshi, who got married last month, said nothing has changed after marriage and she would continue her wrestling.
"It depends on your mindset. There are many foreign wrestlers who are married, have children and are still winning medals," she said.
Haryana is infamous for its sex ratio but Sakshi feels that "the mindset towards girl child has changed to a great extent".
"Definitely, there has been a change. Things have changed for the better from the days I took up wrestling. Now girls are being encouraged by their parents. Many parents ask me that they want their girls to take up wrestling. So, there is a vast change.
"However, in some cases, many girls also approach me asking me to talk to their parents. I tell their parents that a girl can equally achieve what a boy can in any sport. I proved it and many girls have done so," she said.
Asked if India has emerged as a sporting nation in recent past, Sakshi said, "There is a big change. prime minister (Narendra) Modi sir wants India to be a sporting power. An Olympic Task Force has been set up, it will have an impact.
"Slowly, things are changing."
Insisting that there were no "shortcuts to success", Sakshi said: "Do whatever you have to with full dedication only then one can one achieve success.
"Always say no to drugs. It is a wrong thing to do in life, be it sports or any other field."
Sakshi made it clear that she has no plans of entering Bollywood.
Protesters calling for the closure of The Bell Hotel, which was housing asylum seekers, gather outside the council offices in Epping on August 8, 2025. (Photo: Getty Images)
Court of Appeal has overturned injunction blocking use of Epping hotel for asylum seekers.
Judges say human rights obligations outweigh local safety concerns.
At least 13 councils preparing legal action despite ruling.
Protests outside the Bell Hotel lead to arrests and police injuries.
MORE than a dozen councils are moving ahead with legal challenges against the use of hotels for asylum seekers despite the Home Office winning an appeal in the Court of Appeal.
Judges ruled that meeting the human rights of asylum seekers by providing accommodation outweighed local safety concerns.
The injunction was secured by Epping Forest District Council after protests following the alleged sexual assault of a 14-year-old girl by an Ethiopian asylum seeker.
The man has been charged and denies wrongdoing. A full hearing on the planning dispute over the Bell Hotel will take place in October.
At least 13 councils are preparing similar legal action, The Times reported, including Labour-run Wirral, Stevenage, Tamworth and Rushmoor. Epping Forest Council said it may appeal to the Supreme Court.
Asylum minister Dame Angela Eagle said the government remained committed to ending hotel use by 2029 and argued the appeal was needed to move migrants “in a controlled and orderly way”.
Conservative leader Kemi Badenoch criticised the government for prioritising “the rights of illegal immigrants above the rights of British people” and urged councils to continue legal action.
Reform leader Nigel Farage said the government had used the European Convention on Human Rights “against the people of Epping”.
Councils including Broxbourne and Spelthorne confirmed they were pressing ahead with enforcement action on planning grounds.
Protests outside the Bell Hotel on Friday led to the arrest of three men, while two police officers sustained minor injuries.
By clicking the 'Subscribe’, you agree to receive our newsletter, marketing communications and industry
partners/sponsors sharing promotional product information via email and print communication from Garavi Gujarat
Publications Ltd and subsidiaries. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the
unsubscribe link in our emails. We will use your email address to personalize our communications and send you
relevant offers. Your data will be stored up to 30 days after unsubscribing.
Contact us at data@amg.biz to see how we manage and store your data.
Vishal and Sai Dhanshika at their Chennai engagement ceremony
Actors Vishal and Sai Dhanshika got engaged on his 47th birthday in Chennai
Wedding postponed until the Nadigar Sangam building is completed
Couple first confirmed their relationship in May 2025 at a press meet
Celebrities and fans flooded social media with congratulatory wishes
Tamil cinema stars Vishal and Sai Dhanshika made their relationship official in May, and on Friday, 29 August 2025, the pair celebrated their engagement. The event took place on Vishal’s 47th birthday in Chennai, with close friends and family in attendance. The engagement was widely shared on social media after Vishal confirmed the news on his X handle.
The Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement has now become one of the most talked-about events in Tamil film circles, especially as the couple postponed their wedding until the Nadigar Sangam building’s completion, a cause close to Vishal as General Secretary of the organisation.
Vishal and Sai Dhanshika at their Chennai engagement ceremony Instagram/actorvishalofficial/saidhanshika
When did Vishal and Sai Dhanshika get engaged?
The Vishal and Sai Dhanshika engagement was held on 29 August 2025, a date that was initially meant for their wedding. The couple chose the special occasion of Vishal’s birthday to mark their new chapter. Traditional Tamil attire marked the ceremony: Dhanshika wore a saree while Vishal opted for a white shirt and vesti, with both donning flower garlands. The event remained a private family gathering, but official photos shared online quickly spread among fans.
— (@)
Why was Vishal and Sai Dhanshika’s wedding postponed?
Originally scheduled for the same day, the wedding was postponed after Vishal decided to wait for the completion of the Nadigar Sangam building project. As General Secretary, he stated that marrying after the inauguration felt more meaningful. Speaking at a press meet earlier, Vishal explained, “This cause is important to me, and I want to step into married life once the building is completed.” His decision has drawn respect from industry peers and fans alike, who have admired his commitment to both personal and professional responsibilities.
What did Vishal and Dhanshika say about each other?
Back in May 2025, when the couple made their relationship public, both spoke openly about their bond. Dhanshika revealed she has known Vishal for 15 years and admired his respect and support, particularly during her personal struggles. Vishal expressed gratitude for finding his life partner later in life, saying, “They say God saves the best for the last, and I believe he saved Dhanshika for me.” His heartfelt note after their engagement echoed the same positivity, as he thanked fans worldwide for their blessings and “good vibes.”
On the professional front, Dhanshika awaits the release of Yogi Da, while Vishal is filming Magudam, his 35th project directed by Ravi Arasu, co-starring Dushara Vijayan, Yogi Babu and Anjali. Beyond films, Vishal continues to serve his role in Nadigar Sangam and has kept fans updated on the progress of its building. While the Vishal and Sai Dhanshika wedding is on hold, both actors emphasise they are “feeling positive and blessed” as they step into their engagement phase.
Keep ReadingShow less
Sabrina Carpenter unveils Man’s Best Friend with unapologetic lyrics and daring cover art
Sabrina Carpenter says Man’s Best Friend is “not for pearl clutchers”
Album includes nine explicit tracks and provocative artwork
Gayle King interview highlights singer’s unapologetic stance
Seventh studio release follows her Grammy-winning Short n’ Sweet
Sabrina Carpenter has addressed the backlash surrounding her Man’s Best Friend album, making it clear the project embraces explicit lyrics and bold imagery. Speaking to broadcaster Gayle King on CBS Mornings, the pop star said her record is “not for any pearl clutchers.” The 26-year-old explained that the music captures freedom of expression and fun, a theme she wants her fans to embrace despite criticism over her provocative stage visuals and artwork.
Sabrina Carpenter unveils Man’s Best Friend with unapologetic lyrics and daring cover art Instagram/sabrinacarpenter
What is Sabrina Carpenter’s Man’s Best Friend about?
Man’s Best Friend marks Carpenter’s seventh studio album and features 12 tracks, nine of which carry the explicit tag. The project has been produced by Jack Antonoff and was released through Island Records on 29 August. The album artwork itself has been a talking point: it shows Carpenter on her hands and knees while a man pulls her hair. The imagery quickly divided opinion online, with critics calling it unnecessarily provocative while fans praised her for owning her image.
The record follows her 2024 Grammy-winning Short n’ Sweet, which topped the Billboard 200 and delivered hits such as Espresso and Please Please Please. Carpenter told King that this new album expands her playful and self-assured identity in pop music.
The controversy stems from both the lyrical content and the visual presentation. Songs such as Never Getting Laid and My Man on Willpower lean into overt sexual themes. During her Short n’ Sweet tour, Carpenter had already courted debate with lingerie-inspired costumes and suggestive routines, including stage performances of Juno that mimicked sexual positions.
Addressing whether she overshares in her lyrics, Carpenter told King she sees the opposite: “At concerts, I see young women screaming with their friends, and there’s a collective sigh of relief that this is just fun.” She added that even so-called pearl clutchers could find humour in the record.
Carpenter has taken a direct but humorous approach to criticism. In her interview, she admitted her music is not designed for the prudish, yet she softened her stance by suggesting that even sceptics might privately enjoy it. She emphasised that her songs provide connection and lightness rather than being intended as shock value.
She also pointed to the irony of critics focusing only on the most provocative parts of her shows. In a recent interview, Carpenter noted that while audiences highlight her racy Juno routines, her concerts also include ballads and introspective moments.
Julia Roberts addresses tough questions on feminism and complicity
After the Hunt centres on misconduct allegations in academia
Director Luca Guadagnino defends the film’s bold narrative choices
Amazon MGM to release the film in North America on 10 October
Julia Roberts’ After the Hunt became one of the most talked-about premieres at the Venice Film Festival as the film stirred a heated #MeToo debate. With questions of complicity, feminism, and responsibility dominating the press conference, the actress and director Luca Guadagnino faced pointed scrutiny. The psychological drama, set in higher education, not only highlighted misconduct but also raised deeper issues of accountability and shifting cultural conversations.
Julia Roberts at the Venice Film Festival premiere of After the Hunt as debate on #MeToo intensifies Getty Images
What is Julia Roberts’ After the Hunt about?
After the Hunt follows Roberts as a popular philosophy professor whose professional and personal life unravels when a misconduct accusation disrupts her circle. The accuser, played by Ayo Edebiri, points the finger at a colleague and close friend of Roberts’ character, portrayed by Andrew Garfield.
Written by Nora Garrett, the screenplay avoids simple answers and embraces complexity. Its intention, as Roberts stressed, was never to deliver a manifesto but to capture uncomfortable conversations. The film’s tagline even states: “not everything is supposed to make you feel comfortable.”
How does After the Hunt link to the #MeToo movement?
At the Venice press conference, Roberts was asked directly whether the film undermines the progress of the #MeToo movement. She rejected the notion, clarifying that it is less about women being pitted against one another and more about exploring moral ambiguities.
Guadagnino added that the film should not be read as a statement on feminism but rather as an exploration of “the clash of truths.” For both filmmakers, the goal was to provoke discussion rather than resolve long-standing social debates.
The cast of After the Hunt at its Venice screening as conversations on misconduct dominate headlines Getty Images
Why did Luca Guadagnino reference Woody Allen?
One of the most controversial creative decisions was the use of the Windsor font in the film’s credits, famously associated with Woody Allen’s work. Guadagnino explained that the choice was deliberate, nodding to the artistic legacy of Allen while acknowledging the ethical complexities tied to his name.
“It was about considering our responsibility when admiring an artist whose personal life has faced scrutiny,” he said. This decision deepened the ongoing discussion about separating art from the artist, echoing broader cultural debates.
Luca Guadagnino joins Julia Roberts at the After the Hunt press conference in VeniceGetty Images
When will After the Hunt be released?
Although the film screened in Venice, it is not part of the festival’s main competition and will not contend for awards on 6 September. However, Amazon MGM Studios has confirmed a North American theatrical release on 10 October.
Roberts, attending Venice for the first time despite filming in the city before, described the experience as “magical,” though her schedule left little time beyond work. Guadagnino, a festival regular, previously premiered Bones & All and Queer in Venice. His Zendaya-led Challengers was pulled last year due to Hollywood strike disruptions.
The 82nd Venice Film Festival continues to host major premieres including Guillermo del Toro’s Frankenstein, Benny Safdie’s The Smashing Machine and Kathryn Bigelow’s A House of Dynamite.
Keep ReadingShow less
India and Canada have appointed new envoys in a step to restore diplomatic ties strained since 2023. (Representational image: iStock)
INDIA and Canada on Thursday announced the appointment of new envoys to each other’s capitals, in a step aimed at restoring strained ties following the killing of a Sikh separatist in 2023.
India has named senior diplomat Dinesh K Patnaik as the next high commissioner to Ottawa, while Canada appointed Christopher Cooter as its new envoy to New Delhi.
The move comes more than two months after Indian prime minister Narendra Modi met Canadian prime minister Mark Carney on the sidelines of the G7 summit at Kananaskis in Canada.
Patnaik, a 1990-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently India’s ambassador to Spain.
“He is expected to take up the assignment shortly,” the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said in a statement.
In Ottawa, Canadian Foreign Minister Anita Anand announced that Cooter will be the next high commissioner to India, succeeding Cameron MacKay.
“The appointment of a new high commissioner reflects Canada’s step-by-step approach to deepening diplomatic engagement and advancing bilateral cooperation with India,” Anand said. “This appointment is an important development toward restoring services for Canadians while strengthening the bilateral relationship to support Canada’s economy.”
A Canadian statement described the appointments as an important step towards restoring diplomatic services for citizens and businesses in both countries.
Cooter, who has 35 years of diplomatic experience, most recently served as Canada’s charge d’affaires to Israel and has earlier been high commissioner to South Africa, Namibia, Lesotho, Mauritius and Madagascar. He also worked as first secretary at the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi from 1998 to 2000.
In June, Modi and Carney had agreed to take “constructive” steps to bring stability to bilateral ties, including the early return of envoys to both capitals.
Relations between the two countries had deteriorated sharply after then prime minister Justin Trudeau alleged in 2023 that India may have had a role in the killing of Khalistani separatist Hardeep Singh Nijjar.
Following this, India recalled its high commissioner and five other diplomats in October last year, while expelling an equal number of Canadian diplomats after Ottawa linked them to the case.
Carney’s victory in the parliamentary election in April has since helped initiate a reset in relations.