Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Mohsin Issa steps down from Asda

"It is a very exciting time for EG Group, and I am looking forward to focusing on the business..," he said.

Mohsin Issa typically partners on deals with his brother. (Photo: Asda)
Mohsin Issa. (Photo: Asda)

THE billionaire co-owner of Asda, Mohsin Issa, has stepped back from his role in overseeing the day-to-day operations of the UK’s third-largest supermarket chain.

This shift comes as Asda faced increasing competition and a decline in its market share. Lord Stuart Rose, the current chair of Asda, alongside Rob Hattrell from TDR Capital, the private equity firm with a majority stake in the supermarket, will assume operational control, the firm announced on Wednesday (18).


The decision by Issa to step down from managing Asda marks a strategic refocus on his petrol station enterprise, EG Group, which he co-founded with his brother, Zuber Issa, in 2001.

Zuber Issa (left) and his brother Mohsin

The brothers, who acquired Asda from Walmart in a £6.8 billion deal in 2020 alongside TDR Capital, have since worked to strengthen their hold on the supermarket while balancing their interests in EG Group.

Earlier this year, Zuber Issa stepped back from both businesses, opting to sell his Asda stake to TDR, which now holds a 67.5 per cent ownership of the chain. He is expected to formally relinquish his role as co-chief executive of EG Group by October, transitioning into a non-executive director position.

However, Mohsin will continue in his role as the sole chief executive of EG Group, while also remaining a non-executive director at Asda.

He joined Asda’s board in February 2021, following the acquisition of the supermarket by the Issa brothers and TDR Capital. He has played a pivotal role in EG Group's global expansion.

Starting from a single petrol station in Bury, Lancashire, in 2001, EG Group now operates over 6,200 sites across 10 countries. Mohsin has been instrumental in key negotiations with major brand partners and securing capital for the company.

Before founding EG Group, Mohsin held senior roles in various Issa family businesses. In recognition of his business achievements, he along with his brother was honoured in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List 2020.

Asda has struggled in the competitive grocery market, with its share dropping to 12.6 per cent in the 12 weeks leading up to September 2023, down from 13.8 per cent in the same period the previous year.

Walmart, which retains a 10 per cent stake in Asda, has faced challenges in disentangling the supermarket's IT systems from its former US parent company, leading to additional complications.

Lord Rose, in an earlier interview, expressed disappointment at Asda's recent performance and hinted that changes were necessary to reverse its fortunes.

He acknowledged that the supermarket needed fresh leadership and a new approach to revitalise the brand. Rose’s comments follow a period of internal restructuring and the ongoing search for a new chief executive at Asda.

“We respect Mohsin’s decision to move on from his role at Asda where his work is complete to be the sole CEO of EG Group,” Lord Rose said.

“We are very grateful to Mohsin for the role he has played in overseeing Asda, including launching into the growth market of convenience stores and introducing a loyalty app now used by more than six million customers. He has laid the foundations to deliver a world-class IT infrastructure, strengthening Asda for the long term. I look forward to continuing to benefit from his insight as a non-executive director on our Board.”

Mohsin Issa said: “I am very proud of the highly experienced team we have built, and the significant progress made to build a bigger and better Asda over the last three years, as well as our unwavering commitment to provide customers with uncompromising value.

“Given these achievements and the significant strategic steps we have taken, I have decided now is the right time for me to step back from my oversight role at Asda to focus on EG Group as sole chief executive. It is a very exciting time for EG Group, and I am looking forward to focusing on the business while supporting Stuart, Rob and the leadership team in my capacity as a shareholder of Asda.”

More For You

Heidi Klum

Heidi and Leni Klum pose together in co-ordinated Intimissimi gowns at the Venice Film Festival

Instagram/heidiklum

Heidi Klum Venice Film Festival look with daughter Leni reignites criticism over mother-daughter lingerie fashion partnership

Highlights:

  • Heidi Klum and daughter Leni walked the Venice Film Festival red carpet in matching corset-style gowns.
  • The supermodel opted for a blush pink silk design, while Leni wore an inky black version.
  • Both gowns were created by Italian lingerie brand Intimissimi, for which they are ambassadors.
  • The mother-daughter duo previously fronted a controversial campaign for the same brand.

Heidi Klum's Venice Film Festival appearances always generate headlines, but this year she doubled the impact by walking the red carpet with her daughter Leni. The pair stunned in co-ordinated gowns from Italian intimates brand Intimissimi, bringing high fashion and red carpet glamour together in one of the festival’s most talked-about moments. Their matching corset silhouettes highlighted the duo’s modelling credentials and added a striking family twist to the opening night of the prestigious event.

Heidi Klum Heidi and Leni Klum pose together in co-ordinated Intimissimi gowns at the Venice Film Festival Instagram/heidiklum

Keep ReadingShow less
Ahaan Panday

Ahaan Panday says years of blind optimism kept him going before Saiyaara

Instagram/ahaanpandayy

Ahaan Panday says Bollywood wronged him and admits he was delusional before 'Saiyaara' broke box office records

Highlights:

  • Ahaan Panday opens up on being ‘wronged’ before his Bollywood debut
  • Actor admits he spent years in ‘blind optimism’ waiting for launch
  • Saiyaara has become the highest-grossing love story in Indian cinema history
  • The Mohit Suri directorial collected £53 million (₹563 crore) worldwide

Bollywood newcomer Ahaan Panday has revealed that he felt “wronged” by people in the industry before finally making his long-awaited debut with Mohit Suri’s Saiyaara. The 27-year-old actor, who comes from the well-known Panday family, said he lived in “blind optimism” for four to five years as projects kept falling through. Despite setbacks, Ahaan maintained that he never became bitter and channelled his struggles into his performance.

Ahaan Panday says years of blind optimism kept him going before Saiyaara Instagram/ahaanpandayy

Keep ReadingShow less
Jio Platforms

Jio Platforms includes India’s largest telecom operator, Reliance Jio Infocomm, with more than 500 million users. (Photo: Reuters)

Reuters

Jio IPO planned for mid-2026, AI unit announced with Meta and Google

RELIANCE Industries plans to take its telecom and digital arm, Jio Platforms, public by mid-2026, chairman Mukesh Ambani said on Friday. The announcement sets a new timeline for the long-awaited IPO of a business analysts value at over $100 billion.

At its annual general meeting (AGM), Reliance also announced the launch of an artificial intelligence unit in partnership with Google and Meta.

Keep ReadingShow less
Salman-Agha

Agha scored 53 not out from 36 balls, hitting three sixes and three boundaries, as Pakistan posted 182-7 in their 20 overs. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Agha, Rauf shine as Pakistan beat Afghanistan in T20 tri-series opener

SALMAN AGHA’s unbeaten half century and Haris Rauf’s four wickets guided Pakistan to a 39-run win over Afghanistan in the opening T20 match of the tri-series in Sharjah on Friday.

Agha scored 53 not out from 36 balls, hitting three sixes and three boundaries, as Pakistan posted 182-7 in their 20 overs.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sony next console

The top model could match the PS5 Pro at around £699.99

Nintendo

Sony’s next console could be both handheld and dockable, claim rumours

Highlights:

  • Reports suggest Sony is planning three versions of its next console
  • One model, codenamed Canis, could function as both a handheld and a docked console, similar to Nintendo Switch
  • The flagship version, Orion, is expected to be the main high-spec console
  • Pricing speculation indicates the top model could match the PS5 Pro at around £699.99

Fresh rumours claim Sony is preparing a dockable handheld version of its next-generation console, the PlayStation 6. The device, reportedly codenamed Canis, is said to target the same hybrid market as Nintendo’s Switch and the expected Switch 2.

Details of the rumour

The information comes from YouTube channel Moore’s Law is Dead (via Push Square), which suggests Sony will release three versions of the PS6:

Keep ReadingShow less