Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Minor daughters of drowned Indian-American couple to soon fly to India: Report

The girls, aged 7 and 12, were placed under the custody of the Arizona Department of Child Safety.

Minor daughters of drowned Indian-American couple to soon fly to India: Report

The two minor daughters of an Indian-American couple, who drowned in the US, have been handed over to a family friend and will soon fly to India to their grandparents, a media report said.

The girls, aged seven and 12, were placed under the custody of the Arizona Department of Child Safety after their father Narayana Muddana, 49, and mother, Haritha Muddana, along with their family friend Gokul Mediseti, 47, drowned at Woods Canyon Lake in Coconino County in the US state of Arizona.


The Arizona Department of Child Safety had to be called on Monday (26) to come out to Forest Lakes and take custody of the orphaned girls.

"You never get used to it. Especially when you're dealing with the children," Jon Paxton with the Coconino County Sheriff's Office (CCSO) was quoted as saying by ABC15.com on Wednesday (28).

"We wanted to make sure they felt as safe as possible. Tried to keep them warm and away from the scene as best we could," he added.

However, Kishore Pittala, Muddana's next-door neighbour and close friend, drove up to Payson in Arizona to get the two orphaned children from the custody of the child safety department, the report added.

"I can see from the faces, I know they have some sadness. But they are doing good for now," Pittala said.

The two girls will soon fly to India, said Venkat Kommineni, president of the Arizona Telugu Association.

"Because (the) grandparents are there in India, and they are going to take care of them," Kommineni was quoted as saying.

Meanwhile, more than $500,000 have been raised through a GoFundMe fundraiser for the families impacted.

(PTI)

More For You

33,000 Indian names missing from Basra Memorial commemorated online

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission put up new digital name panels for the Basra Memorial earlier this month

Getty Images

33,000 Indian names missing from Basra Memorial commemorated online

Highlights

  • Indian Army names left off Basra Memorial for nearly 100 years.
  • Digital memorial includes ranks and regiments for first time.
  • Iraq safety issues prevent physical memorial updates.
The names of 33,000 Indian Army soldiers who died in the First World War have finally been honoured. They were left off a memorial in Iraq for almost 100 years.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission put up new digital name panels for the Basra Memorial earlier this month.

These panels show Indian soldiers' names together with over 46,000 other Commonwealth troops who died in the region. The area was then called Mesopotamia.

Keep ReadingShow less