Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Indonesia rescues 20 Muslim Rohingya adrift off Aceh

A boat carrying 20 Rohingya Muslim men landed in Indonesia on Tuesday (4), authorities said.

The men were rescued by Indonesian fishermen after their boat was found adrift off Indonesia's northernmost province of Aceh.


Most of the men are aged between 14 and 28, with one of them aged 50.

"They are Rohingya from Myanmar. We asked them where they were heading and they said they were going to Malaysia," Idi Rayeuk district navy commander Razali, who goes by one name, told AFP.

"Maybe it's because of the currents that they've landed here instead."

According to reports, some 300 Rohingya are currently being sheltered in Aceh. Indonesia, a Muslim country, is a strong supporter of the Rohingya cause.

An outbreak of violence in 2012 saw thousands of Rohingyas leaving Myanmar by sea to Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. Last year, following violence, millions of Rohingyas fled to  Bangladesh.

On Tuesday, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum said that there was compelling evidence that the Burmese military committed ethnic cleansing, crimes against humanity, and genocide against the Rohingyas.

“Our analysis concludes there is compelling evidence that Burmese authorities have intentionally sought to destroy the Rohingyas people because of their ethnic and religious identity,” Naomi Kikoler, deputy director of the Museum’s Simon-Skjodt Center for the Prevention of Genocide, was quoted as saying by The Daily Star.

“The Rohingyas victims we work with feel abandoned. The world has turned a blind eye to their persecution - just as it did for victims of the Holocaust,” she said.

“The Burmese military’s campaign against the Rohingyas, especially the attacks of August 2017, have been deliberate, systematic, and widespread,” said Lee Feinstein, a member of the Museum’s governing Council and the Chairman of its Committee on Conscience, which advises the genocide prevention work of the Museum.

More For You

London tourist levy

The capital recorded 89 m overnight stays in 2024

iStock

London to introduce tourist levy that could raise £240 million a year

Kumail Jaffer

Highlights

  • Government expected to give London powers to bring in a tourist levy on overnight stays.
  • GLA study says a £1 fee could raise £91m, a 5 per cent charge could generate £240m annually.
  • Research suggests London would not see a major fall in visitor numbers if levy introduced.
The mayor of London has welcomed reports that he will soon be allowed to introduce a tourist levy on overnight visitors, with new analysis outlining how a charge could work in the capital.
Early estimates suggest a London levy could raise as much as £240 m every year. The capital recorded 89 m overnight stays in 2024.

Chancellor Rachel Reeves is expected to give Sadiq Khan and other English city leaders the power to impose such a levy through the upcoming English Devolution and Community Empowerment Bill. London currently cannot set its own tourist tax, making England the only G7 nation where national government blocks local authorities from doing so.

A spokesperson for the mayor said City Hall supported the idea in principle, adding “The Mayor has been clear that a modest tourist levy, similar to other international cities, would boost our economy, deliver growth and help cement London’s reputation as a global tourism and business destination.”

Keep ReadingShow less