Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India to start Covid-19 vaccination drive from January 16

India to start Covid-19 vaccination drive from January 16

INDIA will start its Covid-19 vaccination drive from January 16 with priority given to about 30 million healthcare and frontline workers, a government statement said.

Prime minister Narendra Modi reviewed the preparedness for Covid-19 vaccination programme on Saturday(9), it said. India hopes to inoculate 300 million of its 1.35 billion people free of charge in the first six to eight months of this year.


With the highest number of infections in the world after the US, India is developing two indigenous Covid-19 vaccines. On Saturday it reported 18,222 new coronavirus cases, taking the total to 10.43 million.

India's drug regulator has approved two coronavirus vaccines for emergency use, Covishield, developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University and Covaxin by local company Bharat Biotech and a state-run institute.

After healthcare and frontline workers, the vaccines will be given to "those above 50 years of age and the under-50 population groups with co-morbidities, numbering around 2.7 million," the statement said.

The statement did not say whether the federal government had signed purchase deals with Bharat Biotech and the Serum Institute of India, the local manufacturer of the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Modi also reviewed India's Co-WIN Vaccine Delivery Management System - a digital platform that will provide real time information of vaccine stocks, storage temperature and tracking of beneficiaries, the statement said.

India is the world's biggest vaccine maker. Its pharmaceutical industry has been freeing up capacity and pushing ahead with investments to help support a global vaccination campaign.

Recently, Modi said that India would continue to export medicines, including vaccines, as companies have ramped up production.

"The world is not only waiting for India's vaccines but is also keenly watching how India handles the world's biggest vaccination program," Modi said in an annual address to Indians overseas.

More For You

 ISKCON's UK birthplace

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace

iskconnews

ISKCON reclaims historic London birthplace for £1.6 million after 56 years

Highlights

  • ISKCON London acquires 7 Bury Place, its first UK temple site opened in 1969, for £1.6 million at auction.
  • Five-storey building near British Museum co-signed by Beatle George Harrison who helped fund original lease.
  • Site to be transformed into pilgrimage centre commemorating ISKCON's pioneering work in the UK.
ISKCON London has successfully reacquired 7 Bury Place, the original site of its first UK temple, at auction for £1.6 m marking what leaders call a "full-circle moment" for the Krishna consciousness movement in Britain.

The 221 square metre freehold five-storey building near the British Museum, currently let to a dental practice, offices and a therapist, was purchased using ISKCON funds and supporter donations. The organisation had been searching for properties during its expansion when the historically significant site became available.

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace. In 1968, founder A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada sent three American couples to establish a base in England. The six devotees initially struggled in London's cold, using a Covent Garden warehouse as a temporary temple.

Keep ReadingShow less