Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India great Kapil Dev suffers heart attack, stable after angioplasty

India's first World Cup-winning cricket captain Kapil Dev suffered a heart attack and underwent an angioplasty on Friday (23) but is expected to be discharged in the next couple of days, said the hospital where he is currently admitted.

The 61-year-old complained of chest pain on Thursday following which he was taken to Fortis Escorts Heart Institute emergency department.


"Kapil Dev suffered a heart attack. He was evaluated and an emergency coronary angioplasty was performed in the middle of night," the hospital said in an updated health bulletin after only mentioning chest pain in its initial statement.

"Currently, he is admitted in ICU and under close supervision of Dr Atul Mathur and his team. Kapil Dev is stable now and he is expected to get discharged in a couple of days."

Angioplasty is a procedure to open blocked arteries and restore normal blood flow to the heart.

Indian Cricketers Association (ICA) President Ashok Malhotra, a friend of Kapil, earlier told PTI that the iconic cricketer is doing fine.

"He is feeling okay now. I just spoke to his wife (Romi). He was feeling uneasy yesterday. He is undergoing check-ups at a hospital as we speak," Malhotra, also a former Test player, said.

The 1983 World Cup-winning legendary all-rounder was wished a speedy recovery by many on social media, including India's current captain Virat Kohli and Sachin Tendulkar among others.

"Praying for your speedy recovery. Get well soon paaji," Kohli said.

"Take care @therealkapildev! Praying for your quick recovery. Get well soon Paaji," wished Tendulkar

Also wishing him good health were India batsman Shikhar Dhawan and badminton player Saina Nehwal.

Dev's former teammate Madan Lal said he has conveyed some of the concern of his well-wishers to the Chandigarh-born legend's family.

"To those who have called to inquire your prayers and wishes are conveyed to the family and received with gratitude. Good health and strength kaps," read a tweet from Dev's former teammate Madan Lal.

"Kapil was taken to the hospital in time as he complained of uneasiness. As per the doctors the procedure has been successful and he will be home soon," he added.

One of India's greatest cricketers, Dev played 131 Tests and 225 ODIs.

"You are a fighter and we know you will win this fight too," tweeted BCCI Secretary Jay Shah.

The imposing former player, who also tried his hand at golf after retiring from cricket, is the only player to claim over 400 wickets (434) and accumulate more than 5000 runs in Tests.

He also served as India's national coach between 1999 and 2000.

Dev was inducted into the International Cricket Council's Hall of Fame in 2010.

"The big hearted #Kapildev our captain, with a never say die attitude, has recovered. For this mighty giant of Indian cricket nothing is impossible," tweeted Kirti Azad, also a former teammate of Kapil.

"Kapil The invincible @therealkapildev is a great friend and super human being. Captain, Looking forward for a meal together soon," he added.

More For You

Bangladesh-protests-Getty

Anti-government protesters display Bangladesh’s national flag at Sheikh Hasina’s palace in Dhaka last year. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Bangladesh Election Commission announces roadmap for February polls

BANGLADESH’s Election Commission (EC) on Thursday released a roadmap for the general election, expected to be held in February next year.

The poll schedule will be announced at least 60 days before the voting date, officials said.

Keep ReadingShow less
Emma Stone Venice

Emma Stone at the Venice film festival where she admitted she believes in aliens

Getty Images

Emma Stone stuns Venice by claiming it is ‘narcissistic’ to think humans are alone in the universe

Highlights:

  • Emma Stone declares her belief in aliens during Venice promotion of Bugonia
  • The Oscar-winning actor cites Carl Sagan’s philosophy as her inspiration
  • Bugonia, directed by Yorgos Lanthimos, is a remake of Korean cult hit Save the Green Planet!
  • Film stars Jesse Plemons alongside Stone and is set for UK release in November

Emma Stone has said she believes in aliens, making the confession while promoting her new film Bugonia at the Venice Film Festival. The Oscar-winning actor linked her belief to the philosophy of astronomer Carl Sagan, who argued it was “pretty narcissistic” to assume humans are the only intelligent beings in the universe. The subject mirrors the central theme of her latest project, which sees her play a powerful CEO accused of being an alien by two conspiracy theorists.

Emma Stone Venice Emma Stone at the Venice film festival where she admitted she believes in aliens Getty Images

Keep ReadingShow less
chicken-pox-istock

The Department of Health said the rollout would reduce missed days at nursery and school, cut time parents take off work, and save the NHS about £15 million a year. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

England to introduce free chickenpox vaccine for children from 2026

CHILDREN in England will be offered a free chickenpox vaccine for the first time from January 2026, the government has announced.

GP practices will give eligible children a combined vaccine for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (MMRV) as part of the routine childhood vaccination schedule. Around half a million children each year are expected to be protected.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-japan

Modi is on a two-day visit to Japan from August 29 to 30. (Photo: X/@narendramodi)

X/@narendramodi

India, Japan to expand partnership; Modi to meet Xi, Putin next

Highlights:

  • Modi says India and Japan will work together to “shape the Asian Century”
  • Japan to announce $68 billion investment in India over 10 years
  • Modi to attend SCO summit in China, meet Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin
  • India and Japan to deepen cooperation in trade, technology and security

PRIME MINISTER Narendra Modi on Thursday said India and Japan will work together to “shape the Asian Century,” as he began a two-nation visit that will also take him to China for the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit.

Keep ReadingShow less
Guru Randhawa Azul controversy

Guru Randhawa criticised for Azul music video accused of sexualising schoolgirls

Instagram/gururandhawa

Guru Randhawa’s 'Azul' music video slammed for sexualising schoolgirls, Sonam Kapoor joins outrage

Highlights:

  • Guru Randhawa’s Azul video has sparked outrage for depicting schoolgirls in a sexualised manner
  • Sonam Kapoor and others reacted after a viral post highlighted the issue
  • The singer has also been summoned by a Samrala court over separate objectionable lyrics
  • Randhawa has restricted Instagram comments amid growing criticism

Punjabi pop star Guru Randhawa is facing widespread criticism after his latest release Azul was accused of sexualising schoolgirls. The glossy music video, in which Randhawa plays a photographer visiting an all-girls school, has been slammed as “problematic” and “pornographic” by critics and social media users. The backlash coincides with a separate case where the singer has been summoned by a Samrala court for allegedly promoting drug use through his lyrics in Sirra, intensifying the storm around him.

Guru Randhawa Azul controversy Guru Randhawa criticised for Azul music video accused of sexualising schoolgirls Instagram/gururandhawa

Keep ReadingShow less