Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

'Have to be extremely vigilant': players express concerns after outbreak in IPL camp

NEW ZEALAND cricket captain Kane Williamson says an outbreak of Covid-19 in an Indian Premier League (IPL) team has raised some apprehension about the coming tournament and reminded him of the need be vigilant about his health and surroundings.

Williamson is due to leave on Thursday (3) to link up with the Hyderabad Sunrisers in the United Arab Emirates, which is hosting the tournament this year due to the growing number of infections in India.


The IPL said last Saturday that 13 members of the Chennai Super Kings, including two players, had tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in the UAE and had been placed into isolation.

"Obviously that's bad news," Williamson told Radio New Zealand on Wednesday. "You don't want to hear anybody (has) Covid.

"I hear they are predominantly asymptomatic, so hopefully through another lockdown period, they can come through and we'll be okay.

"There's a little bit of apprehension, certainly as you get nearer to the time ... you start thinking you do have to be extremely vigilant and disciplined."

Williamson added that he was pleased all of the teams in the IPL would be placed in separate hotels.

Players have also been warned about breaching their bio-security bubble during the tournament, that starts on September 19.

Earlier, Australia's Josh Hazlewood, who was expected to join the Chennai Super Kings, also expressed concerns about the outbreak at his team camp.

"At the franchise, we have a group WhatsApp, with all the information that comes through. It's obviously a little bit of a concern. You ideally would have no cases," Hazlewood told reporters on a video conference on Monday.

"They are in quarantine now ... All my focus is, obviously, on this tour at the moment. Once the IPL comes closer we will think more about that ... closer to the date we will have a chat with Cricket Australia."

More For You

Indian student visa issue

Viswanathan had secured third place on the party's internal candidate ranking for the region

NUS Scotland

Indian student dropped from Greens race over visa while similar candidate wins MSP seat

Highlights

  • Indian student asked to withdraw from candidate list over visa concerns.
  • Another student visa holder allowed to run and won MSP seat.
  • Party denies blocking candidates based on immigration status.
An Indian student leader has accused the Scottish Green Party of treating candidates with visa concerns differently after she was asked to step down while another person in the same situation was allowed to contest and win.

Sai Shraddha Viswanathan, who currently serves as president of the National Union of Students Scotland, told BBC that party officials asked her to withdraw from the North East Scotland candidate list last July.

The reason given was concerns about her student visa status and whether she could serve a full term without new papers.

Keep ReadingShow less