Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

COVID-19: Millions of garment makers in dire straits in Bangladesh

THE coronavirus outbreak has affected virtually all aspects of the economy, including the fashion industry, which has been grappling with how to pay for supply orders from garment makers.

The garment makers in Bangladesh are being laid off in massive numbers after $3 billion in orders have been either canceled or put on hold.


Some retailers have agreed to pay what they owe, but many have not.

The Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) released the data on Monday (March 30) on orders already made or in the works.

Bangladesh is the world’s second biggest clothing exporter after China.

The canceled orders are in the tens of millions, and include Inditex, C&A, Primark and Marks & Spencer. Labor groups and manufacturers in the country have been asking major retailers to adhere to their commitments.

Most businesses in Bangladesh have recently been asked to close during the pandemic, but the exports sector has been feeling the effects for some weeks now.

About $1.8 billion orders are on hold and another $1.4 billion have been canceled.

Clothing company H&M said it was going to wait and see about new orders, but will pay suppliers for (and take delivery of) orders that were already made or are currently in production.

“This is in accordance with our responsible purchasing practices, and not only the case in Bangladesh, but in all production countries,” the company said.

The company that owns Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger, PVH, said that it told suppliers to release invoices on hold since March 18, and later ones will be processed gradually.

If companies paid for orders already being made or for ones not yet shipped, that would help factories stay solvent, reports said.

More For You

 ISKCON's UK birthplace

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace

iskconnews

ISKCON reclaims historic London birthplace for £1.6 million after 56 years

Highlights

  • ISKCON London acquires 7 Bury Place, its first UK temple site opened in 1969, for £1.6 million at auction.
  • Five-storey building near British Museum co-signed by Beatle George Harrison who helped fund original lease.
  • Site to be transformed into pilgrimage centre commemorating ISKCON's pioneering work in the UK.
ISKCON London has successfully reacquired 7 Bury Place, the original site of its first UK temple, at auction for £1.6 m marking what leaders call a "full-circle moment" for the Krishna consciousness movement in Britain.

The 221 square metre freehold five-storey building near the British Museum, currently let to a dental practice, offices and a therapist, was purchased using ISKCON funds and supporter donations. The organisation had been searching for properties during its expansion when the historically significant site became available.

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace. In 1968, founder A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada sent three American couples to establish a base in England. The six devotees initially struggled in London's cold, using a Covent Garden warehouse as a temporary temple.

Keep ReadingShow less