Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Bangladesh sends more Rohingya refugees to remote island despite criticism

MORE than 1,400 Rohingya Muslim refugees set sail for a remote island in the Bay of Bengal on Saturday, a Bangladesh navy official said, despite opposition from rights groups concerned about the site's vulnerability to storms and flooding.

They bring to at least 6,700 the number of Rohingya refugees from neighbouring Myanmar that Bangladesh has sent to the island of Bhasan Char since early December, from border camps where a million live in ramshackle huts.


"We are ready to receive the new arrivals," said commodore Abdullah Al Mamun Chowdhury, the officer in charge of the island.

Five ships left with the Rohingya and their belongings after they were transferred from the camps to the nearby port city of Chittagong, he said.

Bangladesh on Friday(29) moved 1,776 Rohingya to the island, which emerged from the sea just two decades ago and is several hours' journey away from the southern port.

The Rohingya, a minority group who fled violence in Buddhist-majority Myanmar, are not allowed to move off the island without government permission.

Bangladesh says the relocation is voluntary, but some of the first group of refugees, moved in December, spoke of being coerced. The government also says overcrowding in camps in the Cox's Bazar district fuels crime.

It has dismissed flood concerns over the island, citing the building of a 12-km (7.5-mile) stretch of embankment 2 metres (6.5 feet) high, in addition to housing for 100,000 people, hospitals and cyclone centres.

Bangladesh has drawn criticism for a reluctance to consult with the UN refugee agency and other aid bodies over the transfers. The UN High Commissioner for Refugees says the agency has not been allowed to evaluate the safety and sustainability of life on the island.

"We look forward to continuing a constructive dialogue with the government regarding its Bhasan Char project, including the proposed UN technical and protection assessments," it said in an email.

More For You

Sri Lanka Floods: Cyclone Ditwah Strikes, Death Toll Rises

The Disaster Management Centre (DMC) said the toll increased after more bodies were recovered in the worst-hit central region, where mudslides buried most of the victims earlier this week.(Photo: Getty Images)

Sri Lanka floods: Troops deployed as death toll rises to 69

SRI LANKAN troops worked on Friday to rescue hundreds of people stranded by rising floodwaters as weather-related deaths reached 69 and 34 people were reported missing.

Helicopters and navy boats carried out several rescue operations, taking residents from rooftops, treetops and villages cut off by the floods.

Keep ReadingShow less