Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Amala Paul joins list of women celebrities who are taking a stand against workplace harassment

In yet another case of workplace harassment, South Indian actress Amala Paul on Wednesday alleged she was sexually harassed by a Chennai-based businessman.

Talking to reporters after filing a police complaint, Paul said the man asked for sexual favours and used vulgar language while she was preparing for an event. The incident reportedly took place in a dance studio in Chennai.


The actress said: “When I had gone to do dance rehearsal, a man spoke to me unpleasantly, like he was conducting a trade. I was very shocked. I was very humiliated. That's why I immediately came to complain to the police station...He has spoken like he was conducting a sexual trade, for a favour.”

By filing a police complaint against the businessman, Paul is taking a stand against workplace harassment. Paul said she did not want to let the incident go because women should feel safe at their workplaces.

 “I should not let it go. Because there are many independent working women like me. If there is no safety then I don't know why we're living,” she said.

Sadly, this is not the first time a female celebrity has had to seek help from police officials to deal with sexual harassment.

In 2013, Malayalam actress Shweta Menon was assaulted by a politician while attending a public function. She filed a case against him but withdrew it later after he apologized.

Early last year, Mollywood, as the Malayalam film industry is popularly know, received a huge jolt when a popular actress filed a case alleging she was abused in a moving car by a gang of seven. Actor Dileep was later arrested in connection with this.

In the past few years, a number of Bollywood actresses have also come forward claiming uncomfortable treatment at workplaces, but the Indian film industry is yet to enforce stringent measures to end sexual harassment.

More For You

Sara Tendulkar

Sara Tendulkar has drawn attention to where entertainment coverage can cross into personal attacks

X/ JARA_Memer

Sara Tendulkar calls out body-shaming post: ‘This is not journalism, leave us alone’

Highlights

  • Sara Tendulkar criticised a social media post that referred to her as “moti”
  • She called the content “disgusting” and questioned claims of it being journalism
  • The post was later deleted, but Sara continued to condemn the incident
  • The episode has reignited conversations around celebrity privacy and intrusive paparazzi culture

Sara Tendulkar pushes back against a line she says was crossed

Celebrity sightings and airport appearances have become routine online content, but Sara Tendulkar has drawn attention to where entertainment coverage can cross into personal attacks.

The daughter of cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar publicly criticised a photojournalist after an airport video featuring her carried a derogatory caption commenting on her appearance.

Keep ReadingShow less