Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Yuvraj: Not stopping run flow was a factor in defeat

Senior batsman Yurvaj Singh says leaking too many runs in the initial overs and absence of paceman Ashish Nehra proved crucial in Sunrisers Hyderabad's defeat against Delhi Daredevils in their last IPL match.

Daredevils' batsmen fired in unison to chase down a challenging 186-run target with five balls to spare. They kept losing wickets but the required run rate was always under control thanks to brisk scoring by young batsmen of the home team.


"I think we gave a lot of runs in the first six overs.

The dropped catch (of Karun Nair) was crucial. If we could have taken early wickets, would have been key. It wasn't a great start by our bowlers and we did not pick wickets in the middle. All of their guys got 30-40 runs," Yuvraj said.

"We have been relying a lot on Bhuvi (Bhuvneshwar Kumar) and Rashid (Khan). When Ashish (Nehra) is fully fit, it will make our bowling line up a lot more stronger. Mohammed Siraj is a young guy while it has been a huge learning curve for Siddharth Kaul. Both have been bowling well," he said.

The left-hander had earlier helped his side rake up a big total with his 70-run knock.

"It was important for me to get some runs. In the last three to four innings, I did not get enough time in the middle. When we were batting in the first innings, it was a bit tough as the ball was gripping. So, I thought of playing till the last and went for the big shots after the 16th over," Yuvraj said.

"I was lucky, I got dropped. I could cash in on it in the later overs," said Yuvraj, whose catch was grassed by Sanju Samson when he was on 29.

Meanwhile, Daredevils spinner Amit Mishra was relived that his side was still in contention for the play-offs.

"We are very positive from now, we will go step by step.

We have a very good team and we clicked today. We did well in batting and bowling but are still struggling with our fielding. It was not up to the mark," the leg-spinner said.

"Against Pune also our batting clicked. Our bowling is good, if we bat well we have a chance to get good result."

Yesterday's win was first for Delhi after five defeats in a row and incidentally their last win also came at this very ground.

Out of the last five matches, they are playing four at home but Mishra said they were not looking at things with this perspective.

"We are not thinking about home matches. We will try to do better in every match and do not repeat mistakes," he said.

Mishra had succeeded in choking the Hyderabad batsmen along with fellow spinner Jayant Yadav in middle overs.

Talking about his own bowling, he said, "My bowling is always attacking, I go for wickets. My job is to create pressure. I bowled well but today I am disappointed because I feel I should have taken more wickets.

More For You

online-gaming-reuters

If approved, the law would impose fines or jail terms on individuals and companies providing online money gaming services. (Representational image: Getty)

getty images

India introduces bill to ban online gambling

INDIA's government on Wednesday introduced a bill in parliament seeking to ban online gambling, citing risks of addiction, financial losses, and possible links to money laundering and terrorism financing.

The proposed legislation could affect a multi-billion dollar sector that includes online poker, fantasy sports, and India’s popular fantasy cricket apps, some of which sponsor the Indian Premier League (IPL) and the national cricket team.

Keep ReadingShow less
Harry Brook

Harry Brook leads his team off the field during the 2nd ODI between England and the West Indies at Sophia Gardens on June 01, 2025 in Cardiff. (Photo: Getty Images)

getty images

England announce Sri Lanka white-ball tour schedule

ENGLAND on Wednesday confirmed the dates for their white-ball tour of Sri Lanka in January and February next year, which will form part of their build-up to the 2026 T20 World Cup.

Harry Brook’s side will begin the tour with the first of three one-day internationals on January 22, two weeks after the scheduled fifth day of the fifth Ashes Test in Sydney. Brook, who is now England’s white-ball captain, is expected to feature in that match.

Keep ReadingShow less
Doctor Who BBC future

Ratings for Season 15 dropped to an average of 3.2M viewers

YouTube/ Disney Plus

BBC vows 'Doctor Who' will stay on air despite Disney uncertainty

Highlights:

  • BBC confirms its commitment to Doctor Who regardless of Disney’s future involvement.
  • Kate Phillips, the BBC’s new chief content officer, reassured fans at the Edinburgh TV Festival.
  • Ratings for Season 15 dropped to an average of 3.2M viewers, down from last year’s figures.
  • Ncuti Gatwa has exited the role, regenerating into Billie Piper’s Rose Tyler.
  • Spin-off The War Between The Land And The Sea is next in production.

BBC reassures fans over Doctor Who’s future

The BBC has confirmed that Doctor Who will remain on the broadcaster “with or without Disney”, following speculation about the sci-fi series’ future.

Kate Phillips, the BBC’s chief content officer, told delegates at the Edinburgh TV Festival:

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer asylum claims

Keir Starmer attends the Service of Remembrance to commemorate the 80th Anniversary of VJ Day at the National Memorial Arboretum, in Alrewas, Staffordshire, Britain August 15, 2025. Anthony Devlin/Pool via REUTERS

getty images

Starmer under fire as asylum claims hit record high

PRIME MINISTER Keir Starmer faced renewed criticism over his immigration policies on Thursday (21) after new official figures showed asylum-seeker claims hitting a record high, with more migrants being housed in hotels compared with a year ago.

According to a regular tracker of voters' concerns, immigration has overtaken the economy as the biggest issue amid anger over the record numbers of asylum seekers arriving in small boats across the Channel, including more than 27,000 this year.

Keep ReadingShow less
GCSE results

Students queue to get their GCSE results at City Of London Magistrates Court on August 21, 2025. (Photo: Getty Images)

getty images

GCSE results show increase in top grades but decline in pass rates

HUNDREDS of thousands of teenagers received their GCSE results on Thursday, with figures showing a slight increase in top grades but a growing number of pupils failing English and maths.

Data from the Joint Council for Qualifications showed that 21.9 per cent of entries were awarded at least grade 7 or A, up from 21.8 per cent last year. The overall pass rate at grade 4 or C fell slightly to 67.4 per cent, compared with 67.6 per cent last year, though still above pre-pandemic levels.

Keep ReadingShow less