Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Vijay Mallya wins legal bid to appeal extradition from UK

TYCOON Vijay Mallya on Tuesday (2) won the right to challenge in court Britain's decision to order his extradition to India to face fraud charges.

A two-judge panel at the High Court in London ruled the appeal by the 63-year-old owner of Kingfisher beer, who also heads the Force India Formula One racing team, should proceed to a full hearing.


Mallya is one of the most high-profile of several extradition cases between Britain and India.

He faces being returned to India to stand trial after British Home Secretary Sajid Javid signed an order for his extradition in February.

That followed a December court decision against Mallya, who left India in 2016 owing more than $1 billion (885 million euros) after defaulting on loan payments to a state-owned bank and allegedly misusing the funds.

Judge Emma Arbuthnot ruled then that he had misrepresented how loans received from banks would be used and therefore had a case to answer there.

She said bankers had been "charmed" by a "glamorous, flashy, famous, bejewelled, bodyguarded, ostensibly billionaire playboy" into losing their common sense.

However, at the High Court hearing Tuesday Mallya's barrister Clare Montgomery argued that "fundamental features" of Arbuthnot's decision were wrong.

She told the court that the judge made findings "premised on serious, and in some cases very obvious, errors".

Judge George Leggatt, one of the pair hearing the appeal, said that was "reasonably arguable" and allowed the case to continue to another hearing on an unspecified future date.

But the court dismissed Mallya's claim on all other grounds, including that his prosecution in India was politically motivated.

Mallya was once known as the "King of Good Times" but dropped off India's most wealthy list in 2014, engulfed by Kingfisher Airlines' massive debts.

(AFP)

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Au Vodka

Au Vodka’s distinctive gold bottles helped turn a Swansea start-up into a global drinks brand

X handle/Just Drinks

Au Vodka lands £500m deal with US drinks giant; founders could each make £100m

  • Sazerac has agreed to buy Swansea-based Au Vodka in a deal reportedly worth about £500m.
  • Founders Charlie Morgan and Jackson Quinn could each receive more than £100m.
  • Au Vodka recorded £82.8m in turnover and £5m in pre-tax profit in the year to April 2025.

A Welsh vodka brand that began with two friends in Swansea is heading for a reported £500m takeover by US drinks giant Sazerac, more than a decade after one of its founders became famous for an entirely different reason.

Sazerac, the company behind brands including Southern Comfort, Buffalo Trace and BuzzBallz, has agreed to buy Au Vodka, known for its gold bottles and flavoured spirits. The deal is subject to regulatory conditions and is expected to complete within weeks.

Keep ReadingShow less