Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK's Yorkshire Water to introduce hosepipe ban from August 26

Several water companies have already announced restrictions on water usage.

UK's Yorkshire Water to introduce hosepipe ban from August 26

Britain's Yorkshire Water announced on Friday that it would bring in a hosepipe ban from Aug. 26, saying parts of the northern English region had seen the lowest rainfall since records began more than 130 years ago.

The announcement comes as parts of England are likely to declare a drought on Friday, according to local media reports ahead of a meeting between the government, its environment agency and water companies.


"The hot, dry, weather means that Yorkshire’s rivers are running low and our reservoirs are around 20% lower than we would expect for this time of year," Yorkshire Water’s Director of Water Neil Dewis said.

"We’ve been doing everything we can to avoid putting in restrictions but unfortunately, they’re now necessary as part of our drought planning," he added.

Several water companies have already announced restrictions on water usage. A ban on hoses and sprinklers for South East Water customers comes into effect on Friday and Thames Water, which supplies 15 million people around London, said it was also planning restrictions.

Much of Europe has faced weeks of baking temperatures that have triggered large wildfires, threatening crops and drained water levels.

Earlier this week, Britain's environment minister George Eustice urged water companies to take precautions to protect water supplies and tackle the effects of the prolonged dry weather as another heatwave is forecast across the country.

(Reuters )

More For You

New Delhi rickshaws get a Trump makeover for America's 250th birthday

A worker fixes a poster featuring US President Donald Trump on an autorickshaw in New Delhi on May 21, 2026 marking the 250th anniversary of American independence.

(Photo by Arun SANKAR / AFP via Getty Images)

New Delhi rickshaws get a Trump makeover for America's 250th birthday

Highlights

  • The US embassy is sponsoring thousands of rickshaw covers bearing Trump's face and the US flag
  • Fitters are offering drivers free tea, and sometimes pickles, to accept the covers
  • Some drivers refused outright, with one saying: "Trump has ruined everything"
  • Secretary of state Marco Rubio arrives in India on Saturday (23) for a four-city tour

NEW DELHI's iconic auto-rickshaws have received a Donald Trump-themed makeover to mark the United States' 250th Independence celebrations and the upcoming India visit of secretary of state Marco Rubio, but not everyone is a fan.

Keep ReadingShow less