Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

UK court shuts down healthcare company headed by Mumbai man

A BRITISH court has ordered shutdown of a company which used Indian call centres in India to sell vitamins and healthcare supplements using “aggressive sales tactics”.

The UK's Insolvency Service said on Monday (10) that it had conducted confidential investigations after receiving complaints on the business modus operandi of Young Forever, reportedly owned by Mumbai-based entrepreneur Shadab Shaikh.


“Young Forever’s victims were the elderly and the vulnerable, and many more people will be protected from their aggressive sales tactics, thanks to the court's decision to wind up the company,” said Irshard Mohammed, Senior Investigator, Insolvency Service.

Investigators had discovered that the company pushed its products through cold-calling people. “Young Forever used call-centres based in India, and victims said that sales staff were persistent and would call repeatedly,” noted an Insolvency Service statement.

“Sales staff also falsely claimed that Young Forever was linked to government bodies, healthcare providers or the NHS,” it added.

The court was also told that Young Forever practised “improper” sales techniques, applied markups in excess of 1,000 per cent and failed to maintain adequate records.

Following the investigation, Young Forever Limited was wound up in the public interest last week in the High Court of Justice, London, before Judge Sebastian Prentis and an official receiver has been appointed to liquidate its assets.

Young Forever was incorporated in June 2018, with registered offices in Kensington, west London. The sole recorded director of the company is Shaikh, who has a Mumbai correspondence address listed on the Companies House records.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Fruits and vegetables

Britain’s reliance on imported fruit and vegetables could make food prices more vulnerable to climate shocks

iStock

Britain’s fruit bowl could be at risk as climate change hits the countries it relies on

  • Around 40 per cent of Britain’s food is imported, including 80 per cent of its fruit.
  • The UK is already seeing domestic crops affected by heatwaves, drought and wildfires.
  • Researchers warn climate pressures could make fresh food more expensive and harder to secure.

Britain is increasingly exposed to that risk because it relies heavily on imported fruit and vegetables, including from countries that are themselves facing growing pressure from rising temperatures, drought and extreme weather.

Around 40 per cent of the UK's food is imported, according to a new report from the Food Foundation. The figure rises to 80 per cent for fruit and 47 per cent for vegetables, leaving Britain particularly dependent on overseas growers for some of the fresh foods people buy most often.

Keep ReadingShow less