Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Two men jailed for life for Aurman Singh’s murder

Singh, 23, from Smethwick was attacked with weapons in the Coton Hill area of Shrewsbury in 2023.

Two men jailed for life for Aurman Singh’s murder
Aurman Singh

TWO men have been sentenced to life imprisonment for the brutal murder of delivery driver Aurman Singh, who was attacked while delivering parcels in Shrewsbury two years ago.

Mehakdeep Singh, 24, and Sehajpal Singh, 26, both formerly of Tipton in the West Midlands, were ordered to serve a minimum of 28 years each after being found guilty at Stafford Crown Court on Friday (11).


The pair were part of a gang that attacked 23-year-old Singh with weapons including an axe, hockey stick and shovel in Berwick Avenue, Coton Hill, on 21 August 2023. The victim's injuries were so severe that he was pronounced dead at the scene.

During the sentencing hearing, Singh's mother Kuljit Kaur delivered an emotional statement, describing her son as a "beacon of love and kindness" whose future had been "stolen by the hands of strangers".

"I would do anything to have just one more moment with him and give him a hug," she told the court.

The court heard how the attack followed an incident at a Kabaddi tournament in Derbyshire the previous day. The group had obtained information about Singh's delivery route through an inside contact at DPD.

Detective sergeant Mat Crisp from West Mercia Police's major investigation unit said: "This attack was calculated and brutal; it was not a robbery that went wrong, it was planned and Aurman was their sole target."

Mehakdeep Singh,Sehajpal Singhwww.easterneye.biz

"The group used an arsenal of weapons against Aurman, who was defenceless. There is no doubt in my mind what their intention was, and that was to kill him."

After the attack, the killers fled in a white Mercedes which was later found abandoned on Kynaston Road in Shrewsbury.

Mehakdeep and Sehajpal then took a taxi to Shrewsbury Railway Station and a train to Wolverhampton before fleeing abroad several days later.

Following an investigation, police located the pair in Austria. They were arrested at an address in Hohenzell on May 20, 2024 and later charged with murder. Last month, they were unanimously found guilty following a three-week trial.

Judge Simon Hirst described the attack as a "carefully planned and executed murder" with the victim "totally unaware" the gang were lying in wait.

This sentencing follows the conviction of five other men last year for their roles in the killing. Four men - Arshdeep Singh, Jagdeep Singh, Shivdeep Singh and Manjot Singh - were previously sentenced to 28 years each for murder. A fifth man, Sukhmandeep Singh, described as the "inside man" who provided information about the delivery route, received 10 years for manslaughter.

Detective chief inspector Mark Bellamy, senior investigating officer, said, "These latest sentencings should send a strong message to those who think they can come into our towns and cities to commit violent crime that we will not stop in our efforts to find them and put them before the courts.

"I hope Aurman's family can take reassurance from today's sentencing, knowing that the men responsible for his death have been put behind bars."

The seven men convicted in connection with the murder have now received a combined total of 178 years in prison sentences, according to police.

More For You

pashupatinath temple nepal

A general view of the Pashupatinath temple complex in Kathmandu on August 27, 2025.

Getty Images

Nepal court allows unclothed Hindu ascetics to enter Pashupatinath temple

NEPAL’s Supreme Court has ruled that Hindu holy men who follow the tradition of remaining unclothed cannot be barred from entering the Pashupatinath temple. The court said that nudity, when practised as a religious custom, is not the same as obscenity.

The ruling concerns the Naga sadhus, ascetics devoted to Lord Shiva who renounce family ties and worldly possessions, including clothing. Covered in ash and wearing dreadlocks, they are a familiar sight at the temple during major festivals.

Keep ReadingShow less
house rent

Currently, rental income is exempt from national insurance, which is charged at 8 per cent on employee earnings.

iStock

UK landlords could face new tax in autumn budget

THE TREASURY is considering extending national insurance to rental income in the autumn budget, a move that could raise about £2bn.

Currently, rental income is exempt from national insurance, which is charged at 8 per cent on employee earnings.

Keep ReadingShow less
 Lord Swraj Paul

Lord Paul's portrait inside the West Chapel

Eulogies offered at Lord Swraj Paul’s funeral

FAMILY and friends offered their final eulogies to Lord Swraj Paul at his funeral at Golders Green Crematorium in north London on Wednesday (27).

It had rained earlier in the morning, but by the time mourners emerged from the West Chapel after a simple and dignified 40-minute service, led by Dr MN Nandakumara, executive director of the Bhavan in West Kensington, the sun had come out.

Keep ReadingShow less
H1B programme

US Secretary of Commerce Howard Lutnick said the administration plans to change the H1B programme, widely used by Indian IT professionals, as well as the Green Card process. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Trump team plans changes to student visas, H1B programme and Green Card process

Highlights:

  • DHS proposes new rules to limit stay for foreign students and media personnel in the US
  • F visa “duration of status” system could be replaced with fixed terms
  • Trump team plans changes to H1B and Green Card processes
  • Proposal comes amid US-India tensions over tariffs on Russian oil

THE TRUMP administration has proposed new rules to limit how long foreign students and media personnel can stay in the United States.

Keep ReadingShow less
Royal Mail

Company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history

Getty Images

3,500 solar-powered postboxes set to transform Royal Mail across the UK

Highlights:

  • Royal Mail is rolling out 3,500 redesigned solar-powered postboxes.
  • The upgrade allows customers to post small parcels via a digital drawer.
  • The move marks the biggest redesign in the company’s 175-year history.
  • Rollout begins in Edinburgh, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester after successful pilots.

Royal Mail launches major redesign

Royal Mail is set to introduce 3,500 solar-powered postboxes across the UK, in what the company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history. The new-look boxes, fitted with solar panels and digital technology, are designed to accommodate small parcels as well as letters.

How the new postboxes work

The redesigned boxes feature solar panels on top, aligned southwards for maximum sunlight. A barcode scanner beneath the slot activates a drop-down drawer, which can fit parcels up to the size of a shoebox. Customers will be able to access the service via the Royal Mail app, request proof of posting and track their parcels.

Keep ReadingShow less