Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Shikhar Dhawan ruled out of World Cup

Injured India opener Shikhar Dhawan was on Wednesday ruled out of the rest of the World Cup, with wicketkeeper-batsman Rishabh Pant approved as a replacement.

The in-form batsman suffered a fractured finger while facing Australia's Pat Cummins in India's second match of the tournament at the Oval on June 9.


Dhawan carried on batting and scored a century to earn the man-of-the-match award as India beat the reigning champions by 36 runs.

But the 33-year-old left-hander did not field and has not featured in the World Cup since his century at Surrey's headquarters in south London.

Pant, a dynamic batsman and wicketkeeper, comes into the India squad ahead of their match against Afghanistan in Southampton on Saturday.

"Shikhar has a fracture at the base of his first metacarpal on his left hand," team manager Sunil Subramanian told reporters.

"Following several specialist opinions, he will remain in a cast until mid-July, which rules him out of the ICC World Cup 2019."

India summoned Pant last week as concerns mounted over Dhawan's fitness and when the opener was ruled out on Wednesday, the World Cup's event technical committee approved Pant's inclusion as a replacement.

"The International Cricket Council has confirmed that the event technical committee of the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2019 has approved Rishabh Pant as a replacement player for Shikhar Dhawan in India's squad for the remainder of the tournament," said a statement issued by the global governing body.

"Opener Dhawan, who suffered a thumb injury during the league match against Australia, has been ruled out of further participation in the event."

India assistant coach Sanjay Bangar explained last week why Pant would be called up if Dhawan could take no further part in the World Cup.

"He bats in the middle order and obviously being a left-hander helps and he was named in the standbys as well, so the team management has gone and picked him," he said.

More For You

Gautam Gambhir

Gambhir, 44, took over from Rahul Dravid after last year’s T20 World Cup win and has since lost 10 out of 19 Tests.

Getty Images

Gambhir says BCCI will decide his future after India lose Test series 2-0

GAUTAM GAMBHIR said the Indian cricket board would decide his future as head coach after India lost the Test series 2-0 to South Africa on Wednesday.

India were beaten by 408 runs in the second Test, their biggest defeat by runs, and suffered a fifth loss in seven home matches. The team had earlier been whitewashed 3-0 by New Zealand a year ago, and the latest result in Guwahati renewed questions about Gambhir’s approach.

Keep ReadingShow less