Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Sadiq Khan's apparent dig at Johnson: 'If you're worried about your neighbours, call the police'

LONDON mayor Sadiq Khan has taken an apparent dig at Boris Johnson by urging his Twitter followers to call the police if they think their neighbours are at risk of domestic violence.

Last Friday, police were called to the house where Johnson is living with girlfriend Carrie Symonds after neighbours heard a row between the couple.


Taking to Twitter yesterday (24), Khan added to a post by charity SafeLives, writing: "This is so important. If you're worried about your neighbours, friends or colleagues don’t walk by. Ask if they are ok, tell someone and call the police. If there is no immediate danger you can call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247."

On Tuesday, Johnson attempted to get his bid for the post of prime minister back on track by taking part in a radio show on LBC.

Johnson refused to answer questions on his private life, saying: "Of course things may be of interest, yes of course, I readily accept that and I understand newspapers are of course going to want to print and to speculate what they choose."

Refusing to divulge any details of last Friday's row, Johnson said "the minute you say one thing' about a loved one they would be forced into the public domain and that is not fair."

Yesterday, photographs emerged showing Johnson and Symonds gazing into each other's eyes after apparently making up. Although his aides denied that the pictures were staged, there was speculation that they had been released by someone close to the couple.

Asked if he knew the photo was going to be put out, Johnson said: "Of course I knew that there was a picture like that in existence." But he refused to say when it was taken. "It's not a state secret, it just happens to be something that I don't want to get into."

More For You

Streeting

Streeting said he wanted all possible candidates to have the opportunity to take part, including Andy Burnham.

Getty Images

Wes Streeting enters race to challenge Keir Starmer

Highlights

  • Streeting says he will stand in any Labour leadership contest
  • Former health secretary calls for “a proper contest” after resigning
  • Andy Burnham preparing return to parliament through by-election
  • Starmer rejects calls to step down after Labour election losses

FORMER health secretary Wes Streeting said on Saturday that he would stand in any leadership contest to replace prime minister Keir Starmer, days after resigning from the government and urging Starmer to set a timetable for his departure.

Keep ReadingShow less