Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Rushdie's memoir on near-fatal stabbing to be published next year

Rushdie’s attacker, Hadi Matar, a 24-year-old from New Jersey with roots in Lebanon, has pleaded not guilty to assault charges

Rushdie's memoir on near-fatal stabbing to be published next year

SALMAN RUSHDIE, the Indian-born novelist who spent years in hiding after Iran urged Muslims to kill him because of his writing, will publish a memoir on his 2022 stabbing in New York, book publisher Penguin Random House said on Wednesday (11).

Rushdie's new memoir, "Knife: Meditations After an Attempted Murder," will be published on April 16, 2024.


"This was a necessary book for me to write: a way to take charge of what happened, and to answer violence with art," Rushdie, whose public appearances have been limited since last year's attack, said in a statement released by the publisher.

Nihar Malaviya, CEO of Penguin Random House, described it as "a searing book, and a reminder of the power of words to make sense of the unthinkable."

She hailed "Salman's determination to tell his story, and to return to the work he loves."

Rushdie, 76, was awarded the 'Freedom to Publish' award by the British Book Awards in May.

An attack onstage in Aug. 2022, during a lecture in New York state left the British author blind in one eye and affected the use of one of his hands. His attacker, a Shi'ite Muslim American from New Jersey, has pleaded 'not guilty' to charges of second-degree attempted murder and assault.

Rushdie released a new novel, "Victory City," nearly six months after his stabbing attack.

Rushdie has long faced death threats linked to his fourth novel, "The Satanic Verses," which was banned in many countries with large Muslim populations upon its 1988 publication over passages deemed to be blasphemous by some.

Rushdie spent years in hiding after Iran's supreme leader at the time, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, pronounced a fatwa, or religious edict, calling upon Muslims to kill him.

While Iran's pro-reform government of president Mohammad Khatami distanced itself from the fatwa in the late 1990s, the multimillion-dollar bounty hanging over Rushdie's head kept growing and the fatwa was never lifted.

Khomeini's successor, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, once said the fatwa against Rushdie was "irrevocable."

(Agencies)

More For You

 ISKCON's UK birthplace

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace

iskconnews

ISKCON reclaims historic London birthplace for £1.6 million after 56 years

Highlights

  • ISKCON London acquires 7 Bury Place, its first UK temple site opened in 1969, for £1.6 million at auction.
  • Five-storey building near British Museum co-signed by Beatle George Harrison who helped fund original lease.
  • Site to be transformed into pilgrimage centre commemorating ISKCON's pioneering work in the UK.
ISKCON London has successfully reacquired 7 Bury Place, the original site of its first UK temple, at auction for £1.6 m marking what leaders call a "full-circle moment" for the Krishna consciousness movement in Britain.

The 221 square metre freehold five-storey building near the British Museum, currently let to a dental practice, offices and a therapist, was purchased using ISKCON funds and supporter donations. The organisation had been searching for properties during its expansion when the historically significant site became available.

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace. In 1968, founder A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada sent three American couples to establish a base in England. The six devotees initially struggled in London's cold, using a Covent Garden warehouse as a temporary temple.

Keep ReadingShow less