Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Royal guest among 12 more cleared in Post Office Horizon scandal

Royal guest among 12 more cleared in Post Office Horizon scandal

COURT of APPEAL on Monday (19) cleared 12 more former subpostmasters who were wrongly convicted under the Post Office Horizon scandal, among whom is also the former worker, who was widely covered in media at the time of conviction as he was a guest at the royal wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in 2011.

Hasmukh Shingadia, 62, of Upper Bucklebury, West Berkshire said he was “on top of the world” after hearing the court’s quashing of his conviction. He was wrongly convicted of stealing £16,000 and was given an eight-month suspended prison sentence in 2011 as part of a Post Office crackdown on the alleged theft.


Shingadia’s case was subjected to widespread media coverage at the time, given it came just months after he had been Kate Middleton’s guest at her royal wedding. Having run a post office and shop in Upper Bucklebury, close to where Middleton lived, Shingadia had become friends with her family.

“I was in all the newspapers as the royal wedding guest who was a thief and a fraudster,” said Shingadia, adding that the Court of Appeal decision was “massive for me and my family”.

“Being a guest at the wedding meant the press focused on my case in court. When I got the call from my lawyers to say the Post Office wasn’t contesting my appeal, I felt on top of the world. Of course, I’ve known I was innocent all along, but for the past decade the legal system has labelled me a criminal, as it has so many others, and that is disgusting,” Times quoted Shingadia in a report.

According to Shingadia’s legal team, just like other accused subpostmasters, he too was coerced to plead guilty as the Horizon system was portrayed as being flawless.

Shingadia also repaid the shortfall to the Post Office and his eight-month prison sentence was suspended for two years. He was ordered to carry out 180 hours of community service.

The recent quashed convictions of 12 former subpostmasters, also included three who served time in prison. The subpostmasters had been convicted in the past on the basis of data from a computer accounting system called Horizon, which showed unexplained shortfalls at branches across the country. The Post Office used its private prosecution powers over 15 years to convict hundreds of subpostmasters.

After it emerged that the technology designed by the Japanese company Fujitsu was faulty, Post Office officials ultimately abandoned the system. 

The decision comes three months after the Court of Appeal quashed fraud and false accounting convictions for 39 others in April.

The cases were referred by the Criminal Cases Review Commission, the watchdog that investigates miscarriage of justice claims in England and Wales. At the time, lawyers representing the subpostmasters forecasted that hundreds of other convictions were likely to be overturned.

Yesterday’s hearing brought the number of people to have successfully appealed against their convictions to 57.

More For You

Sri Lanka's former presidents condemn Wickremesinghe’s imprisonment

Ranil Wickremesinghe with his wife Maithree

Sri Lanka's former presidents condemn Wickremesinghe’s imprisonment

THREE former presidents of Sri Lanka expressed solidarity with jailed ex-leader Ranil Wickremesinghe last Sunday (24) and condemned his incarceration as a “calculated assault” on democracy.

The former political rivals of Wickremesinghe, who was president between July 2022 and September 2024, said the charges against him were frivolous and politically motivated.

Keep ReadingShow less
Labour MPs Jeevun Sandher and Louise Jones marry in multicultural wedding

Louise Jones and Jeevun Sandher (Photo: Facebook)

Labour MPs Jeevun Sandher and Louise Jones marry in multicultural wedding

TWO of Labour’s newest MPs, Jeevun Sandher and Louise Jones, have announced their marriage after a week-long celebration that combined Sikh and Christian traditions.

Sandher, elected last year as MP for Loughborough, and Jones, MP for North East Derbyshire, tied the knot earlier this month in ceremonies that reflected their different cultural backgrounds. The couple shared photographs on social media, calling the occasion a celebration of “two heritages” as they began their life together.

Keep ReadingShow less
UK sees sharp increase in sex crime convictions of Indian nationals

Figures show a 257 per cent rise in convictions of Indian nationals for sexual offences between 2021 and 2024 (Photo:iStock)

UK sees sharp increase in sex crime convictions of Indian nationals

INDIAN nationals have recorded the sharpest increase in convictions for sexual offences among foreign nationals in the UK, according to an analysis of official government data.

Figures from the UK Ministry of Justice, based on the Police National Computer and assessed by the Centre for Migration Control (CMC), show a 257 per cent rise in convictions of Indian nationals for sexual offences between 2021 and 2024. The number of cases rose from 28 in 2021 to 100 last year — an increase of 72 cases.

Keep ReadingShow less
pashupatinath temple nepal

A general view of the Pashupatinath temple complex in Kathmandu on August 27, 2025.

Getty Images

Nepal court allows unclothed Hindu ascetics to enter Pashupatinath temple

NEPAL’s Supreme Court has ruled that Hindu holy men who follow the tradition of remaining unclothed cannot be barred from entering the Pashupatinath temple. The court said that nudity, when practised as a religious custom, is not the same as obscenity.

The ruling concerns the Naga sadhus, ascetics devoted to Lord Shiva who renounce family ties and worldly possessions, including clothing. Covered in ash and wearing dreadlocks, they are a familiar sight at the temple during major festivals.

Keep ReadingShow less
Modi begins Asia tour to boost ‘Make in India’ and counter US pressure

Narendra Modi addresses the audience during the launch of Maruti Suzuki's new assembly line for the Suzuki e-Vitara, Maruti's first electric car, at the Hansalpur plant, some 80 km from Ahmedabad, in India's Gujarat state on August 26, 2025. (Photo by SAM PANTHAKY/AFP via Getty Images)

Modi begins Asia tour to boost ‘Make in India’ and counter US pressure

INDIAN prime minister Narendra Modi heads overseas on Thursday (28) to meet the leaders of China, Japan and Russia, seeking to build closer diplomatic ties as New Delhi battles fallout from US president Donald Trump's escalating tariff offensive.

By drawing nearer to some of the world’s largest economies, including his first visit to China in seven years, Modi hopes to to boost support for his flagship "Make in India" initiative, mainly from Japan, as Trump's measures spur new partnerships.

Keep ReadingShow less