Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Refugees get Myanmar safety promise

ROHINGYA refugees who return to Myanmar will be safe as long as they stay in the model villages built for them, the country’s army chief has said, renewing fears they will be kept in settlements indefinitely.

Some 700,000 Rohingya Mus­lims fled Buddhist-majority Myan­mar to Bangladesh after the mili­tary launched a brutal crackdown on insurgents in August that the US and the UN called ethnic cleansing. Myanmat denies the allegation.


The country’s powerful army chief Min Aung Hlaing told a visit­ing delegation from the UN Secu­rity Council in the capital Naypy­idaw on April 30: “There is no need to be worried about their security if they stay in the areas designated for them.”

A readout of the meeting was posted on Min Aung Hlaing’s offi­cial Facebook page last Saturday (5).

He referred to members of the stateless minority as “Bengalis”, re­flecting a widespread belief in My­anmar that the Rohingya are immi­grants from Bangladesh despite a longstanding presence in Rakhine.

Myanmar and Bangladesh agreed to repatriate refugees to conflict-hit Rakhine state last year but Rohingya loathe to come back to a country without guarantees of safety and basic rights such as free­dom of movement.

The army chief also cast doubt on the allegations raised by refu­gees in Bangladesh, many of whom shared stories of extrajudicial kill­ings, arson and rape.

“Bengalis will never say they ar­rive there happily. They will get sympathy and rights only if they say they face a lot of hardships and persecution,” he reportedly said, adding the issue was “exaggerated”.

More For You

starmer

The government said the change followed talks with unions and business groups to reach a compromise that would allow the bill to pass.

Getty Images

Starmer faces backlash after u-turn on 'day-one' unfair dismissal rights

KEIR STARMER is facing opposition from Labour MPs after the government dropped its manifesto pledge to give workers the right to claim unfair dismissal from day one.

Ministers removed the proposal to change the qualifying period from 24 months to day one to move the workers’ rights legislation through the House of Lords. Under the new plan, workers will qualify after six months.

Keep ReadingShow less