Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Perez proud to be part of Force India’s ‘next generation’

MEXICAN Sergio Perez saw a bright future for Force India after the Formula One team finally confirmed last Thursday (18) that he would continue racing for them in 2019.

“I definitely want to be part of this next generation of the team,” he told reporters at the US Grand Prix. “We have very promising times ahead of us.”


Force India have yet to name their other driver but there is no doubt it will be Canadian Lance Stroll, whose billionaire father Lawrence heads a consortium that now controls the Silverstone- based outfit.

Perez, whose extension effectively means current team mate Esteban Ocon will not be part of the racing lineup next year, said Stroll senior was up to speed and taking a hands-on approach.

“He’s very motivated with his new project,” he said.

Perez, 28, played a major role in events leading to the takeover of the team in August and has said for some time that he knew where he would be racing next year. He declined to give details about the contract or when he had signed it.

Force India, previously co-owned by financially-troubled Indian magnate Vijay Mallya, went into administration at the end of July after Perez made a claim for $4.01 million that was owed to him.

The action was supported by engine provider Mercedes and team sponsor BWT, which were also owed significant sums.

The team, now known as Racing Point Force India to distinguish them from predecessors Sahara Force India who finished fourth overall for the last two years but are now seventh, are expected to change name next year.

Perez, who joined Force India in 2014 after a difficult year with McLaren following two seasons with Sauber, has had five podium finishes with the team including third in Azerbaijan last April.

The sport’s sole Mexican driver, the best of the rest this season outside the top three teams, has also brought significant sponsorship.

“I’ve been here five years and I know the potential,” said Perez. “Everyone here has been very loyal as well. We went into a big uncertainty with our futures and everyone stuck together. It’s great to see the outcome for the team.

“Now we are going to have more resources in place, we should have the right guidance and be really strong.”

Force India team principal Otmar Szafnauer said Perez had established himself as “one of the most talented and consistent drivers on the F1 grid”.

More For You

Amdavad

Rob Arnott, Duncan Scott, Katie Sadleir, Interim President Dr Donald Rukare, Harsh Sanghavi, Dr PT Usha and Ashwini Kumar are seen during a press conference as Amdavad is named as host city for the 2030 Centenary Commonwealth Games at the General Assembly on November 26, 2025 in Glasgow.

Getty

India to stage centenary Commonwealth Games in Ahmedabad in 2030


AHMEDABAD will host the 2030 Commonwealth Games, marking 100 years since the first edition was held in Hamilton, Canada. The confirmation came on Wednesday after the Commonwealth Sport General Assembly in Glasgow ratified the choice, following a recommendation from the executive board.

The Indian city, also called Amdavad, was selected ahead of Abuja, Nigeria. India had earlier submitted a formal letter of intent to the International Olympic Committee to host the 2036 Summer Olympics.

Keep ReadingShow less