A WEST YORKSHIRE optician has been convicted of murdering his pregnant wife by pushing her off a rocky cliff at Arthur’s Seat in Edinburgh.
Fawziyah Javed suffered serious head injuries due to her fall from a height of 50 ft on September 1, 2021 but she told a police officer during her final moment that her husband Kashif Anwar pushed her to death.
Anwar, 29, claimed during the trial that he had slipped and bumped into her while taking a selfie which resulted in her fatal fall - an argument which failed to convince the jury at the High Court in Edinburgh. On Thursday (6), he was also found guilty of causing the death of her unborn child.
Javed, a lawyer who worked with Lyons Davidson Solicitors, met Anwar when she accompanied her mother to buy glasses. They soon began a relationship which led to their wedding in December 2020.
Kashif Anwar (Image credit: Police Scotland)
However, Anwar subjected his wife to verbal abuse and prevented her from communicating with her family and friends, the court heard. He was also accused of trying to control her as well as warning her against seeking a divorce or involving law enforcement.
The couple hosted a reception in Leeds before travelling to the Scottish capital where they checked into Residence Inn by Marriott on August 31, 2021.
The following day, the couple planned to visit Arthur's Seat in Holyrood Park to see the sunset, but it was too late when they arrived at the famous extinct volcano. According to Anwar’s account, they then decided to take a selfie but “I lost my balance and fell into her”.
He claimed he heard her “go over the edge” screaming and “I heard a thud."
A police constable who reached the spot saw Javed “writhing in pain”. But the woman managed to tell the officer “he pushed me” to end their relationship.
Javed died at the scene and Anwar was arrested. During the trial, he denied all the accusations made against him.
Following his conviction, detective inspector Bob Williamson said it was a traumatic time for Javed’s family who “are understandably devastated by her death”.
When her baby was on the way, her life was “cruelly” taken away by her husband who “should have loved and protected her”, the detective said.
TWO of Labour’s newest MPs, Jeevun Sandher and Louise Jones, have announced their marriage after a week-long celebration that combined Sikh and Christian traditions.
Sandher, elected last year as MP for Loughborough, and Jones, MP for North East Derbyshire, tied the knot earlier this month in ceremonies that reflected their different cultural backgrounds. The couple shared photographs on social media, calling the occasion a celebration of “two heritages” as they began their life together.
“I am delighted to share with you all that, over the summer, I married my wonderful wife, Louise Sandher-Jones,” Sandher wrote in a post. “The wedding was the best day of my life. I’m very happy and we’re very excited to start the next chapter of our shared future together.”
Jones added that she would be changing her surname to Sandher-Jones “to reflect our new family”, though she told constituents her parliamentary email address would remain unchanged for now. “We had a beautiful wedding that brought together traditions from our two different heritages which made it all the more special,” she said.
The pair first met on the campaign trail in Loughborough in January 2023, when Jones was standing for local office and Sandher was also campaigning. Their engagement was later announced in the House of Commons by Leader of the House Lucy Powell.
Sandher, in his mid-thirties, was born in Luton to Punjabi parents and has spoken proudly of his Indian roots. Soon after entering Parliament in 2024, he said he wanted to help strengthen Labour’s ties with India and its diaspora. He now serves as co-chair of the India All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG).
Reflecting on their relationship, Sandher told the BBC last year that a shared understanding of political life had been a cornerstone. “If Louise was to say, ‘we have to cut these plans because of this reason,’ I would completely understand – and vice versa,” he said.
The newlyweds join a small group of parliamentary couples in modern times, following in the footsteps of political pairs such as Yvette Cooper and Ed Balls, and Virginia and Peter Bottomley.
By clicking the 'Subscribe’, you agree to receive our newsletter, marketing communications and industry
partners/sponsors sharing promotional product information via email and print communication from Garavi Gujarat
Publications Ltd and subsidiaries. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the
unsubscribe link in our emails. We will use your email address to personalize our communications and send you
relevant offers. Your data will be stored up to 30 days after unsubscribing.
Contact us at data@amg.biz to see how we manage and store your data.
Figures show a 257 per cent rise in convictions of Indian nationals for sexual offences between 2021 and 2024 (Photo:iStock)
INDIAN nationals have recorded the sharpest increase in convictions for sexual offences among foreign nationals in the UK, according to an analysis of official government data.
Figures from the UK Ministry of Justice, based on the Police National Computer and assessed by the Centre for Migration Control (CMC), show a 257 per cent rise in convictions of Indian nationals for sexual offences between 2021 and 2024. The number of cases rose from 28 in 2021 to 100 last year — an increase of 72 cases.
Overall, convictions of foreign nationals for sexual offences rose by 62 per cent during the same period, from 687 in 2021 to 1,114 in 2024. In comparison, convictions of British citizens for similar crimes rose by 39 per cent.
Other nationalities with steep increases include Nigerians (166 per cent), Iraqis (160 per cent), Sudanese (117 per cent) and Afghans (115 per cent). Among south Asians, Bangladeshis saw a 100 per cent rise and Pakistanis a 47 per cent increase.
The thinktank noted that there were nearly 75,000 non-summary convictions of foreign nationals in the UK over the four-year period, although violent and fraud-related offences among foreigners decreased.
The analysis comes alongside separate UK Home Office data suggesting that the number of Indian nationals in detention has almost doubled in the past year.
India also remains among the largest sources of UK visas, with 98,014 study visas issued last year and the highest number of work and tourist visas.
Earlier this month, India was added to an expanded list of countries whose nationals can be deported immediately after sentencing, with appeals to be pursued from their home country.
Foreign secretary David Lammy said: “We are leading diplomatic efforts to increase the number of countries where foreign criminals can be swiftly returned, and if they want to appeal, they can do so safely from their home country.”
(PTI)
Keep ReadingShow less
A general view of the Pashupatinath temple complex in Kathmandu on August 27, 2025.
NEPAL’s Supreme Court has ruled that Hindu holy men who follow the tradition of remaining unclothed cannot be barred from entering the Pashupatinath temple. The court said that nudity, when practised as a religious custom, is not the same as obscenity.
The ruling concerns the Naga sadhus, ascetics devoted to Lord Shiva who renounce family ties and worldly possessions, including clothing. Covered in ash and wearing dreadlocks, they are a familiar sight at the temple during major festivals.
“I want to thank the Supreme Court,” said 45-year-old Eakadasa Baba, who travelled from India on a pilgrimage to the temple. “It does not mean we roam around the city or villages without clothes. We remain unclothed only in our own place, within the temple,” he added.
The case arose from a petition seeking to stop their temple entry, claiming their nudity disturbed other devotees. The court dismissed it, saying: “Nudity and obscenity are not the same. Nudity, when practised as part of religious or cultural tradition, cannot automatically be considered offensive.”
The judgment, issued last year, was published this week, court spokesperson Nirajan Pandey said.
Hundreds of Naga sadhus visit Kathmandu every year for the Maha Shivaratri festival at Pashupatinath. Many stay on at the temple after the event, which is held in February or March. The temple provides food and a travel allowance to the sadhus.
Rajendra Giri, a 51-year-old Nepali Naga sadhu, said their tradition does not “disturb” anyone.
“They have designated spaces and follow strict disciplines,” cultural historian Govinda Tandon said. “As the court rightly noted, their nudity is not obscenity, it’s a core part of the Naga tradition.”
The court said banning their entry would violate national and international protections of religious freedom.
(With inputs from agencies)
Keep ReadingShow less
Narendra Modi addresses the audience during the launch of Maruti Suzuki's new assembly line for the Suzuki e-Vitara, Maruti's first electric car, at the Hansalpur plant, some 80 km from Ahmedabad, in India's Gujarat state on August 26, 2025. (Photo by SAM PANTHAKY/AFP via Getty Images)
INDIAN prime minister Narendra Modi heads overseas on Thursday (28) to meet the leaders of China, Japan and Russia, seeking to build closer diplomatic ties as New Delhi battles fallout from US president Donald Trump's escalating tariff offensive.
By drawing nearer to some of the world’s largest economies, including his first visit to China in seven years, Modi hopes to to boost support for his flagship "Make in India" initiative, mainly from Japan, as Trump's measures spur new partnerships.
"This will be an opportunity to launch several new initiatives to build greater resilience in the relationship, and to respond to emerging opportunities and challenges," foreign secretary Vikram Misri said of the Japan visit.
While New Delhi says it is relying on talks to resolve Trump's additional tariffs of up to 50 per cent on Indian exports, Japan's top trade negotiator cancelled a US visit over a snag in the two nations' tariff deal.
Modi’s visit to Japan on Friday (29) and Saturday (30) gains significance as both belong to the Quad grouping, along with Australia and the US, which seeks to counter China's growing influence in the Indo-Pacific region.
Despite strained ties with Washington, India said Modi and Japanese prime minister Shigeru Ishiba would discuss expanding cooperation within the framework of the regional security grouping.
Japanese companies are set to invest up to $68 billion (£52.36bn) in India in the next decade, public broadcaster NHK said, as Suzuki Motor pledged to pump in about $8bn (£6.2bn) over the next five to six years.
The two nations were partners "made for each other", Modi said this week, after visiting a Suzuki plant in India.
Their leaders are expected to discuss tie-ups on critical minerals and Japanese investments in high-value manufacturing in India, officials said.
India is believed to hold substantial deposits of rare earths, used in everything from smartphones to solar panels, but lacks the technology to mine and process them extensively.
Modi next travels to China for a two-day summit of regional security bloc Shanghai Cooperation Organisation from Sunday (31). His visit comes as the neighbours strive to defuse tension following deadly border clashes in 2020.
He is expected to meet both Chinese president Xi Jinping and Russian president Vladimir Putin for two-way talks.
China and India seek to resume direct flights after a gap of five years and are discussing easing trade barriers, including reopening border trade at three Himalayan crossings.
India is also considering easing investment rules that put greater scrutiny on Chinese companies, while Beijing recently agreed to lift curbs on exports of fertilisers, rare earth minerals and tunnel boring machines to India.
The meeting comes against the backdrop of Washington's long-held desire for the world's largest democracy to act as a counterweight to China, which analysts say could offer New Delhi leverage in the effort to secure lower tariffs.
Otherwise, India could get pushed towards China and possibly join a Beijing-led free-trade pact, the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership, said Devashish Mitra, an economics professor at New York's Syracuse University.
"In the situation and climate president Trump has created, it won’t be surprising if both India and China find this a mutually beneficial transaction," he said.
But there is limited scope to improve relations with China, said William Yang, senior Northeast Asia analyst for the International Crisis Group.
"For now, China will be happy to reciprocate India’s desire to mend some areas of the strained ties by holding high-level diplomatic talks, but is unlikely to pursue a broader diplomatic breakthrough while existing differences remain," he warned.
(Reuters)
Keep ReadingShow less
Currently, rental income is exempt from national insurance, which is charged at 8 per cent on employee earnings.
THE TREASURY is considering extending national insurance to rental income in the autumn budget, a move that could raise about £2bn.
Currently, rental income is exempt from national insurance, which is charged at 8 per cent on employee earnings.
Labour insiders told The Times that property income was “a significant potential extra source of funds” and landlords were seen as a way of targeting “unearned revenue”.
A Guardian analysis earlier this month found that four cabinet ministers, including the chancellor Rachel Reeves, had declared rental income in the MPs’ register of interests.
One in eight MPs reported rental income in the past year, including 43 Labour MPs, 27 Conservatives and seven Liberal Democrats.
Estate agents have warned that speculation on property taxes in Reeves’s budget could dampen demand in the housing market. Zoopla said it “may make some buyers consider a wait-and-see strategy”.
The Guardian also reported that Reeves is weighing a tax on home sales over £500,000, replacing stamp duty with a national property tax, and possibly replacing council tax in the future. She is also considering removing the capital gains tax exemption for primary residences above £1.5m.
Education minister Stephen Morgan said on Times Radio and Sky News that it was not for him to comment on speculation.
A Treasury spokesperson said the government’s focus was on growing the economy while keeping taxes for working people low.