Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Nipah Virus: 10 deaths confirmed in Kerala, 2 suspected cases reported from Karnataka

India's southern state of Kerala continues to grapple with Nipah virus, with 10 deaths being confirmed by the state's health minister K K Shailaja as of Wednesday (23).

Although no fresh cases have been reported in more than 24 hours, two persons who had contact history with the infected and dead in Kerala have been hospitalized in Karnataka's Mangaluru.


Symptoms of the virus were seen in a 20-year-old woman and a 75-year-old man, who had traveled to Kerala and came in contact with one of the infected patients. "They are not confirmed Nipah cases yet, so there is no need to panic ... the situation is under control," said Rajesh B.V., a district surveillance officer. He said blood samples of the two people have been sent to Manipal Centre for Virus Research.

Meanwhile, the Kerala government has announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakhs to the families of all the deceased patients.

In a cabinet meeting held on Wednesday, the government also remembered Lini – a nurse at EMS Memorial Cooperative hospital in Kozhikode - who developed fever after attending to a Nipah patient and died on Monday. The government has decided to offer a government job to her husband Sajeesh, who works abroad.

Her two children will be given Rs 10 lakh each as compensation, the government said.

"At this instance, we duly remember nurse Lini, whose demise has caused immense grief. She died after attending to a patient with Nipah virus and we remember her commitment to her duty and sacrificing nature. She had contact with a Nipah patient and that's how she contracted the virus and subsequently died. We have immense gratitude and commitment towards Lini's family," Shylaja said.

The Minister added: "After Lini's demise, the responsibility of bringing up their two children lies on her husband Sajeesh. It may be difficult for him to go back to his job abroad, so we have decided to give a job to the young man."

More For You

Seema Malhotra

The UK is moving towards a "contribution-based" system, where settlement depends on economic contribution

Getty Images

Seema Malhotra raises concern over student asylum claims during India visit

Highlights

  • Indo-Pacific minister addresses immigration concerns during Chennai visit.
  • 16,000 students applied for asylum in UK after finishing studies last year.
  • Indian student numbers to UK drop 11 per cent amid tougher immigration rules.
Britain's Indo-Pacific minister Seema Malhotra has stood by the government's immigration reforms while visiting India, highlighting concerns over international students who claim asylum after their courses end.
During her visit to Chennai, Malhotra told the BBC that the reforms were "in line with what countries around the world do" to stop abuse of immigration systems. She stressed there was a "very strong message we also send, which is that we welcome those coming legally".
The minister disclosed that roughly 16,000 international students worldwide had filed asylum applications in the UK following the completion of their studies last year, describing this trend as clear evidence of legal pathway abuse. Latest Home Office data indicates an additional 14,800 students made similar asylum claims between January and June 2025.

Student number drops

India continues to be a major source of international students for UK institutions, representing a quarter of all foreign student arrivals in 2023-2024. Despite this, interest appears to be waning, with an 11 per cent decline in Indian student applications from the previous year as stricter immigration measures come into force.

This downturn has raised alarm amongst British universities already facing financial pressures and dependent on international student revenue.

Keep ReadingShow less