Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

New finance minister says UK must consider pace of deficit reduction

Britain’s new finance minister, Philip Hammond, said on Thursday that he would do whatever is necessary to steady the economy and restore confidence after the Brexit vote.

Hammond, 60, was appointed by Britain’s new prime minister Theresa May to run the world’s fifth largest economy. He was previously foreign secretary.


In his first public comments as chancellor of the exchequer, Hammond praised Bank of England Governor Mark Carney and said he would take steps carefully considered decisions over the summer.

“Markets do need signals of reassurance, they need to know that we will do whatever is necessary to keep the economy on track,” Hammond told ITV.

“We’re working together across that referendum divide in the party to deliver the best possible deal for Britain. I think confidence will gradually begin to return and people will start to see the shape of the future that we’re mapping out,” he said.

The Brexit vote thrust Britain into its worst political crisis in modern times, with both major parties in turmoil and investors left guessing about how the future relationship with the EU will look.

The Bank of England is set to cut interest rates for the first time in more than seven years today.

Hammond said that the government had yet to take any decisions on taxation and declined to say he would commit to plans made by his predecessor in the wake of the referendum, including proposals to further cut corporation tax.

“I’m not going to set out what my plans will be here on TV this morning,” Hammond said. “I’m going to sit down with the key figures in the UK economy, like the governor of the Bank of England, look at the situation we face, look at the projections forward and make some carefully considered decisions over the summer,” he said.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

UK Farmers

Farmers are bringing in crops early as prolonged drought puts yields and water supplies under pressure

iStock

Britain puts £65m behind farmers as drought starts threatening the country’s food supply

  • Farmers in England will receive an additional £65m in support.
  • £15m will help fund on-farm reservoirs for future dry periods.
  • Britain is facing its third drought in five years.

Britain is putting £65 million into emergency support for farmers as the country's prolonged drought begins to threaten not just agricultural incomes but the reliability of its food supply.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham announced the package on August 15, after England and Wales recorded their driest July on record. The support will go towards sustainable farming, new on-farm reservoirs and making it easier for farmers to access water during periods of shortage.

Keep ReadingShow less