Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Network defends Barty snub after 'sexist' broadcast claims

AUSTRALIAN broadcaster Seven Network has defended its decision to televise Nick Kyrgios's first-round match rather than world number one Ash Barty's opener after being hit with claims of "sexism" over its Wimbledon coverage.

Kyrgios's match with compatriot Jordan Thompson had been going for two hours before Barty started hers against China's Zheng Saisai, and the broadcaster stuck with the men's clash rather than switch over.


Fans on Twitter vented their frustration, with some claiming Seven's focus on world number 43 Kyrgios's five-set win over Barty's straight sets victory was "sexist".

The network, which flipped over to Barty's match just before she wrapped up her win, said it was a "difficult decision" but the ratings spoke for themselves.

"Nick Kyrgios and Jordan Thompson were tied in the third set of a thrilling contest when Ash walked onto court," a Seven spokesperson said in a statement.

"The massive audience ratings on 7TWO, which were comparable to a Wimbledon final, show how engaged Aussies were in the epic five-setter between Kyrgios and Thompson."

Kyrgios and Barty were asked by Australian reporters about the coverage but each sounded unfazed.

"If people can watch my matches, great. If they can't, they can't. That's up to the broadcasters, not me," French Open champion Barty said.

Kyrgios said he thought they would "probably show both, but I don't really have much to say about that".

(Reuters)

More For You

Rahul aims for fresh ODI start against South Africa

India's KL Rahul arranges the field during the second day of the second Test cricket match between India and South Africa at the Barsapara Cricket Stadium in Guwahati on November 23, 2025. (Photo by Biju BORO / AFP via Getty Images)

Rahul aims for fresh ODI start against South Africa

KL RAHUL said India will put their humbling test series defeat by South Africa behind them as he leads the team into a three-match one-day international series against the same opponents starting on Sunday (30) in Ranchi.

India lost the opening test against the Proteas in Kolkata by 30 runs before suffering a 408-run hammering in Guwahati that left them licking their wounds after a fifth defeat in the last seven tests at home.

Keep ReadingShow less