Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Man targets Muslim woman in racist attack on board London bus, cops launch hunt

The accused approached the hijab-wearing victim and attacked her verbally and physically after she refused to engage with him.

Man targets Muslim woman in racist attack on board London bus, cops launch hunt

Police have been looking for a man who is accused of assaulting a Muslim woman on racist grounds on board a bus in London in November last year.

According to a report by MyLondon, the woman faced the racially-aggravated attack while wearing a hijab in a Route 207 bus around 10.30 pm on November 27. It said that the 40-something victim was approached by the man who ignored the former’s request that she did not want to engage with him. The accused then hurled unwanted remarks at the woman and assaulted her, the report added.


The woman did not need to undergo treatment. The man got off on Uxbridge Road close to the town hall, the report said.

Cops investigating the incident have urged the public to come forward with the accused man’s identity. The bus in which the incident took place was going from Westfield Shopping Centre in White City.

Investigative officers from the Met's Roads and Transport Policing Command have carried out enquiries to track the suspect, including a review of CCTV from the bus.

Anyone who can help the investigation has been requested to call 101 quoting CAD 1753/27Nov22.

Those who wish to remain anonymous have been requested to contact the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

More For You

Mohammed Islam

Islam now serves as an independent councillor after being suspended by the Labour Party

Enfield Council

Enfield's former mayor Mohammed Islam apologises after visa letters controversy

Highlights

  • Ex-mayor finally apologises after writing visa support letters for family and friends.
  • Conduct committee had expressed frustration over delayed compliance in November.
  • Islam plans to raise concerns about process with Local Government Ombudsman.
Former Enfield mayor Mohammed Islam has apologised to the council for writing letters supporting visa applications for his family and friends. The independent councillor stood down from his mayoral position last August after Enfield Council's conduct committee found he had brought his office into disrepute.
The committee ordered him to make a written apology, undertake code of conduct training, and refrain from wearing his past mayor badge.

In his letter to the council on November (21), Islam said, "I would like to offer my sincere apology to the council for the conduct in relation to the invitation letters to attend council programmes".

"I recognise that the actions did not meet the standards expected of an elected member and may have affected confidence in the council."

Keep ReadingShow less