Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Lawyer sues UK's biggest supermarket chain Tesco over chocolate bar

A 63-year-old lawyer has filed a lawsuit against the UK's biggest supermarket chain Tesco over his alleged mistreatment which, he claimed, has dislodged his kidney stones.

Lalu Hanuman has claimed £70,000 in damages after being falsely accused of "theft for walking away with an unpaid bar of chocolate".


He was on his way to a concert when he bought the £1.05 pounds bar of vegan chocolate and paid for it at the self-service till.

Hanuman threw the receipt in the bin and made his way out of the Tesco Express store in the Russell Square area of central London.

According to The Sunday Times, he claims to have been stopped by the store's security guard who falsely accused him of not paying and then forcibly moved him back into the shop.

Hanuman claims the incident resulted in his kidney stones being dislodged.

Tesco admitted that the chocolate had been paid for and explained the confusion over an inadvertent double-swipe of the barcode by the lawyer, who had required some assistance while using the self-service checkout till.

A UK court hearing in the case is scheduled to take place on July 21.

More For You

Meningitis outbreak
A campus security guard hands out face masks to staff and students queueing to receive antibiotics at the University of Kent in Canterbury after an outbreak of meningitis caused the deaths of two people, on March 16, 2026.
Getty Images

One dead, two under treatment after meningitis cases in Reading


ENGLAND has reported three cases of meningococcal infection, also known as meningitis, among young people in southern England, with one person dying from the disease, the UK health agency said on Thursday.

“Specialists from the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) South East are working with local authority and NHS partners following three cases of meningococcal infection (meningitis) in young people in Reading,” it said.

Keep ReadingShow less