Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Labour suspends Bradford MP Naz Shah

LABOUR has suspended its MP for Bradford West, Naz Shah, following her post on social media backing a suggestions that Israel “relocate” to America.

Shah, who shared the post before she became an MP last May, apologised today (27) in the Commons after Prime Minister David Cameron called for her suspension.


She said: “Anti-Semitism is racism, full stop. As an MP I will do everything in my power to build relationships between Muslims, Jews and people of different faiths and none.”

Labour confirmed that party leader Jeremy Corbyn and Shah “have mutually agreed that she is administratively suspended from the Labour Party by the general

secretary.

“Pending investigation, she is unable to take part in any party activity and the whip is removed.”

Yesterday (26), Shah resigned as an aide to shadow chancellor John McDonnell.

The mother of three made the the controversial comments in 2014 on a Facebook post, sharing a poster on the social media site which argued that the

“transportation costs” would be worth it.

It went on to say that Americans would “welcome Israelis with open arms” and that the relocation would bring peace to the Middle East by ending “foreign

interference”.

Alongside the poster, Shah wrote “problem solved”, added a smiley face and suggested she would lobby Cameron to adopt the plan.

It has now emerged Shah urged people on Facebook to back suggestions Israel was “committing war crimes” in a poll in 2014 and said that “the Jews are

rallying” to vote .

Apologising for the offence caused, Shah said: “I made these posts at the height of the Gaza conflict in 2014, when emotions were running high around the

Middle East conflict. But that is no excuse for the offence I have given, for which I unreservedly apologise.

“In recognition of that offence, I have stepped down from my role as PPS to the shadow chancellor John McDonnell.”

More For You

Sri Lanka Floods: Cyclone Ditwah Strikes, Death Toll Rises

The Disaster Management Centre (DMC) said the toll increased after more bodies were recovered in the worst-hit central region, where mudslides buried most of the victims earlier this week.(Photo: Getty Images)

Sri Lanka floods: Troops deployed as death toll rises to 69

SRI LANKAN troops worked on Friday to rescue hundreds of people stranded by rising floodwaters as weather-related deaths reached 69 and 34 people were reported missing.

Helicopters and navy boats carried out several rescue operations, taking residents from rooftops, treetops and villages cut off by the floods.

Keep ReadingShow less