Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Labour party suspends Claudia Webbe MP following harassment charge

LABOUR has suspended Leicester MP Claudia Webbe from the party and the party whip following a harassment charge against her, reported the BBC.

The Leicester East representative has been charged with harassing a woman between September 2018 and April 2020.


"It would not be appropriate to comment on an ongoing case," a Labour Party spokesperson told the BBC.

Webbe is accused of one count of harassment, the report further stated.

Responding to the allegations, Webbe said she is "innocent of any wrongdoing" and that she will "vigorously" defend herself in court.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the 55-year-old MP is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 11 November.

The CPS has said that it has decided to charge the MP with an offence of harassment against one female after "receiving a file of evidence from the Metropolitan Police."

Webbe was elected as an MP in December's general election, taking over the seat previously held by Keith Vaz.

She had previously examined the work of the Met as the force attempted to tackle gun crime among the black community.

As head of the Trident independent advisory group for more than a decade, Webbe would often comment publicly on the police force’s efforts to solve gun-related crimes which disproportionately affected African-Caribbean people.

She was elected to Labour’s national executive committee in 2016 with the backing of the grassroots group Momentum.

In 2018, she was elected chair of Labour’s dispute panel and in the process became the first black woman to sit on the officer group of the national executive committee (NEC).

She is one of 34 members of the Socialist Campaign Group of MPs alongside Corbyn, Diane Abbott and John McDonnell.

She remains a councillor in Islington, north London, since 2010, and was also a member of Labour's National Executive Committee.

Webbe also acted as an adviser to former London mayor Ken Livingstone in the past.

Born in Leicester in 1965, Webbe studied social sciences at De Montford university before moving on to London to study race and ethnic relations at Birkbeck.

More For You

Vladimir Putin shakes hands with Indian foreign minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar

Russian president Vladimir Putin shakes hands with Indian foreign minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar during a meeting in Moscow, Russia August 21, 2025. Sputnik/Sergei Karpukhin/Pool via REUTERS

India, Russia vow stronger trade ties despite US pressure

INDIA and Russia agreed to boost trade ties on Thursday (21) as their foreign ministers met in Moscow, giving little indication that US president Donald Trump's hefty tariffs on India for buying Russian oil would disrupt their relations.

Indian goods face additional US tariffs of up to 50 per cent, among the highest imposed by Washington, due to New Delhi's increased purchases of Russian oil.

Keep ReadingShow less
online-gaming-reuters

If approved, the law would impose fines or jail terms on individuals and companies providing online money gaming services. (Representational image: Getty)

getty images

India introduces bill to ban online gambling

INDIA's government on Wednesday introduced a bill in parliament seeking to ban online gambling, citing risks of addiction, financial losses, and possible links to money laundering and terrorism financing.

The proposed legislation could affect a multi-billion dollar sector that includes online poker, fantasy sports, and India’s popular fantasy cricket apps, some of which sponsor the Indian Premier League (IPL) and the national cricket team.

Keep ReadingShow less
Teen jailed for 10 years over Scottish mosque attack plot

The High Court in Glasgow sentenced him after he pleaded guilty to two charges of terrorism. (Photo: iStock)

Teen jailed for 10 years over Scottish mosque attack plot

A TEENAGER inspired by Adolf Hitler who planned to set fire to a Scottish mosque was sentenced on Thursday (21) to 10 years in custody.

Police arrested the 17-year-old in January carrying a military-style rucksack as he tried to gain entry to the building in Greenock, on the west coast of Scotland.

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer asylum claims

Keir Starmer attends the Service of Remembrance to commemorate the 80th Anniversary of VJ Day at the National Memorial Arboretum, in Alrewas, Staffordshire, Britain August 15, 2025. Anthony Devlin/Pool via REUTERS

getty images

Starmer under fire as asylum claims hit record high

PRIME MINISTER Keir Starmer faced renewed criticism over his immigration policies on Thursday (21) after new official figures showed asylum-seeker claims hitting a record high, with more migrants being housed in hotels compared with a year ago.

According to a regular tracker of voters' concerns, immigration has overtaken the economy as the biggest issue amid anger over the record numbers of asylum seekers arriving in small boats across the Channel, including more than 27,000 this year.

Keep ReadingShow less
GCSE results

Students queue to get their GCSE results at City Of London Magistrates Court on August 21, 2025. (Photo: Getty Images)

getty images

GCSE results show increase in top grades but decline in pass rates

HUNDREDS of thousands of teenagers received their GCSE results on Thursday, with figures showing a slight increase in top grades but a growing number of pupils failing English and maths.

Data from the Joint Council for Qualifications showed that 21.9 per cent of entries were awarded at least grade 7 or A, up from 21.8 per cent last year. The overall pass rate at grade 4 or C fell slightly to 67.4 per cent, compared with 67.6 per cent last year, though still above pre-pandemic levels.

Keep ReadingShow less