Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Kunal Kapoor turns producer; to make a film based on India’s Winter Olympian Shiva Keshavan

Kunal Kapoor turns producer; to make a film based on India’s Winter Olympian Shiva Keshavan

Kunal Kapoor started his journey as an actor with the 2004 release Meenaxi: A Tale of Three Cities. Now, after being in the industry for 17 years, the actor has decided to become a producer.

His first production venture will be a biopic on India’s Winter Olympian, Shiva Keshavan. Kapoor took to Twitter to inform everyone about it.


He tweeted, “Very happy to announce my 1st venture as a producer. The story of six time winter Olympian, the amazing @100thofasec A story, not only about resilience and the path less taken, but also about the spirit of India. And our ability to reach for the impossible with limited resources.”

While talking about turning a producer, Kunal told Times Of India, “I think this is the best time to be a storyteller. When I was starting off, there was a certain kind of cinema being made. Films that had to fit into a mould, which has now been broken. The audience is exposed to so much content from across the world, that they are open to different stories and new ways of storytelling. And you have a whole new breed of technicians, who think in a way that is original and unique. It’s exciting that you have so many films being made which are rooted in India; stories from small towns, of unsung heroes and about the history of our country.”

“I’ve been writing stories since my days as an assistant director. And I would love to bring those stories to life not only as an actor but also as a producer and director. As an actor, you have little control over what stories you get a chance to tell. You can only choose from what you are offered and you’re part of someone else’s vision. But as a producer, you have a chance to bring your own vision to life,” he added.

Shiva Keshavan is considered India’s greatest Winter Olympian. Revealing why he decided to make a biopic on Shiva, Kapoor said, “He is an amazing athlete. What drew me to Shiva Keshavan was not only the fact that he has represented India in the Olympics six times, but that it was also a story about the spirit of India and the incredible things we manage to achieve with limited resources. It’s a story of resilience and the path less taken; it’s also a celebration of our culture and diversity.”

https://twitter.com/kapoorkkunal/status/1420275109206454276

Meanwhile, as an actor, we will get to see Kunal in Disney+ Hotstar’s series The Empire. His first look from the series was unveiled a few days ago.

More For You

DDLJ director Aditya Chopra earns UK Stage Debut Awards nod for 'Come Fall in Love'

Aditya Chopra (right) with his father, Yash Chopra

YRF

DDLJ director Aditya Chopra earns UK Stage Debut Awards nod for 'Come Fall in Love'

BOLLYWOOD filmmaker Aditya Chopra was last Thursday (21) named among the nominees of the UK Stage Debut Awards for his Come Fall in LoveThe DDLJ Musical, performed at Manchester’s Opera House earlier this year.

Chopra delivered a blockbuster in 1995 with Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, popular as DDLJ, with Kajol and Shah Rukh Khan in the lead roles. It was adapted to a theatrical production and had its UK premiere in May.

Keep ReadingShow less
John Alford

The case continues at St Albans Crown Court

PA

Actor John Alford on trial for alleged abuse of minors, says he was targeted for extortion

Highlights:

  • John Alford, 53, is accused of sexually abusing two girls aged 14 and 15 at a Hertfordshire party in 2022.
  • Charges include sexual activity with a child, sexual assault and assault by penetration.
  • Prosecutors allege both girls were drunk when the incidents occurred.
  • Alford, whose real name is John Shannon, denies all allegations.
  • The trial is taking place at St Albans Crown Court.

Former London’s Burning actor John Alford is on trial accused of sexually abusing two teenage girls at a house party in Hertfordshire on 9 April 2022.

The 53-year-old, from Holloway, north London, faces four counts of sexual activity with a 14-year-old and two charges involving a 15-year-old girl, including sexual assault and assault by penetration. He has denied all the charges.

Keep ReadingShow less
Hyundai fraud case SRK Deepika

Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone have been listed in the complaint as brand ambassadors of Hyundai

Getty Images

Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone named in fraud case linked to Hyundai car defects

Highlights:

  • An FIR has been registered in Bharatpur against Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone and Hyundai officials.
  • A local resident alleges his Hyundai Alcazar SUV, bought in 2022, developed major defects.
  • The case includes fraud and conspiracy charges under IPC and Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita.
  • Both actors, Hyundai brand ambassadors, are accused of misleading consumers.
  • Neither Shah Rukh Khan nor Deepika Padukone’s teams have responded yet.

Legal case filed in Bharatpur

Bollywood actors Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone are facing legal trouble after an FIR was filed against them in Bharatpur, Rajasthan. The complaint, registered on 25 August at Mathura Gate police station, also names six Hyundai officials.

The case stems from allegations made by Kirti Singh, a Bharatpur resident, who claimed his Hyundai Alcazar SUV, purchased in 2022 for more than ₹23 lakh, developed serious technical issues within months. He further alleged that repeated attempts to get the company to address the problems were unsuccessful.

Keep ReadingShow less
Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce

Swift’s choice of So High School—widely believed to be inspired by Kelce—added a personal touch

Instagram/ taylorswift

Taylor Swift announces engagement to Travis Kelce with playful message to fans

Highlights:

  • Taylor Swift announced engagement to American footballer Travis Kelce via Instagram.
  • Kelce proposed in Lee’s Summit, Missouri, surrounded by floral displays.
  • Swift showcased a cushion-cut diamond ring from Artifex Fine Jewellery.
  • Fans and celebrities, including the Prince and Princess of Wales, reacted with excitement.

Taylor Swift confirms engagement with Instagram Post

Taylor Swift has announced her engagement to American football player Travis Kelce, sharing the news on Instagram with a carousel of images and the caption: “Your English teacher and your gym teacher are getting married.” The post, accompanied by her ballad So High School, quickly went viral, gaining more than 18 million likes within hours.

The photos show Kelce on one knee, Swift wearing a Ralph Lauren halter-neck dress and a Cartier watch, and the singer flashing her cushion-cut diamond engagement ring. According to reports, the ring was purchased from Artifex Fine Jewellery, with prices beginning at around $29,000 (£21,500).

Keep ReadingShow less
Lilly Singh reveals she’s been diagnosed with ovarian cysts
Lilly Singh reveals she’s been diagnosed with ovarian cysts
Getty Images

Lilly Singh joins Netflix’s Bollywood dance film 'Best of the Best'

NETFLIX has expanded its cast for Best of the Best, a coming-of-age film set around competitive Bollywood dancing, with comedian Lilly Singh joining in.

Hasan Minhaj and Prashanth Venkataramanujam have penned the story, about what happens when two childhood friends join the Bollywood dance team at their college. Minhaj will also act.

Keep ReadingShow less