Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Indian officials open investigation into Rolls-Royce's dealings with three state companies

INDIAN federal police have opened an investigation into Rolls-Royce Holdings Plc, alleging the UK-based engine maker and its Indian arm improperly used a third-party to conduct business with three Indian state-owned companies.

In a report published on Tuesday (30), India's Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) also said officials from the Indian companies - Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), ONGC and GAIL - may have been involved in improper procurement from Rolls-Royce.


Rolls-Royce provided engine spare parts to HAL for servicing gas turbines used by GAIL and ONGC, both of which are involved in the oil and gas sector, the report said.

The report said Rolls-Royce's appointment of Ashok Patni, director at a Singapore-based firm called Aashmore Private Ltd, as a commercial adviser in dealing with the three government-owned firms violated regulations and the arrangement may have been used for paying kickbacks to officials.

In an emailed statement, a Rolls-Royce spokesperson said that the police report related to the use of intermediaries by company’s erstwhile energy business in India, and that no current employee had been involved in those deals.

"We await contact from the CBI and will respond appropriately," the spokesperson said.

Spokesmen for GAIL and ONGC did not immediately respond to questions. Gopal Sutar, a spokesman for HAL, declined to comment.

Aashmore and Patni could not be immediately reached for comment.

Between 2007 and 2011, Rolls-Royce conducted more than 200 transactions with the three companies for the supply of materials and spare parts, for which Aashmore was paid commission of at least Rs 550 million ($8m), the CBI report said.

(Reuters)

More For You

Rachel Reeves

Under the policy, property owners will face a recurring annual charge additional to existing council tax liability.

Getty Images

Rachel Reeves announces annual tax on homes worth over £2 million

Highlights

  • New annual surcharge on homes worth over £2 m comes into force in April 2028, rising with inflation.
  • Tax starts at £2,500 for properties valued £2m-£2.5m, reaching £7,500 for homes worth £5m or more.
  • London and South East disproportionately affected, with 82 per cent of recent £2m-plus sales in these regions.
Britain has announced a new annual tax on homes worth more than £2 million, expected to raise £400 million by 2029-30, according to estimates from the Office for Budget Responsibility.

Chancellor Rachel Reeves pointed that the measure would address "a long-standing source of wealth inequality in our country" by targeting "less than the top 1 per cent of properties". The surcharge will come into force in April 2028.

Under the policy, property owners will face a recurring annual charge additional to existing council tax liability. The rate starts at £2,500 for homes valued between £2 m and £2.5 m, rising to £3,500 for properties worth £2.5 m to £3.5 m, £5,000 for £3.5 m to £5 m, and £7,500 for those valued at £5 m or more.

Keep ReadingShow less